Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

To fast or not to fast..
Posted by: zapple ()
Date: April 02, 2007 08:49PM

I've read many different opinions on the subject of fasting. The one that intrigues me the most is "fast until all excess weight is lost." Gee wiz. I'm 19 years old.. 5'6".. muscular build and about 145 pounds. At first I thought my "ideal" raw food weight would be 130 pounds but after looking at some of ya'lls posts. 5'6 and 108? I'd be a walking toothpick! However, the idea of having any excess fat and its relationship with toxins does make sense.

It's been almost a day of green juice fasting. I feel a wee bit sick to my tummy. Don't want to give up BUT also don't wanna go through this if it's not necessary.

Thanks for helpin me clear this up!

-zapple

"As if you could kill time without injuring eternity.. "

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: To fast or not to fast..
Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: April 02, 2007 09:20PM

I'd recommend that you not Fast, as you appear Healthy and Strong. I'd also recommend that you start eating a low-fat, raw food, Vegan diet.....WY

Posted by: greenie ()
Date: April 02, 2007 09:37PM

You can fast if you want to lose some muscle and lower your metabolism so you are more likely to gain weight afterwards. IMHO fasting is a great periodic detox but not so good for losing weight.

You look healthy and fit, not at all fat. If you want to lose weight, eat anything (raw) you like for a week and write it all in a diary. At the end of the week you likely will have lost some weight. If not, check out what you have eaten and where you can change little bits of it - for instance eating half an avo instead of a whole one, etc.

Interval training is also supposed to be good for losing fat. [www.alsearsmd.com]

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: April 02, 2007 09:44PM

I agree with Greenie. Fating is NOT a good way to lose weight. Activity, light-eating, and regular eating are a good way to lose weight. Just my experiences.

-David Z. Mason

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: April 02, 2007 10:00PM

108 lbs for 5'6 seems not right to me .. fasting might make you lose weight on the short term ...but long term what happens when you go back to eating? you gain it back

Posted by: coconutcream ()
Date: April 02, 2007 11:59PM

I am 5'3 and 105

Posted by: rawrnr ()
Date: April 03, 2007 09:21PM

Try FEASTING!

I'm doing it now!1
I am 5'8" 130
I teach a group fitnes weight lifting class and spinning AND i am training for a marathon
I am on day 8 of my juice FEAST...

Go toL
www.nutrientdensenutrition.com

Also check out ANGELA Stokes 92 day juice feast blog!!!
www.rawreform.com/content/view/271

Juice Feasting just may be what works for you!!

Check out my diary in the jourmal area!!

Posted by: kleinphi ()
Date: April 04, 2007 05:40PM

My opinion might be a little unusual, but here is what I have experienced: I have never exercised much, not at all really, but I do enjoy really long walks, so I guess that counts as some form of exercise. At age 25, I was on the SAD and weighed 143 pounds, the heaviest I had ever been. I'm 6'2 and male. I ate only fruit and seeds for a few months, which brought my weight down to about 135, then slowly back up into the 140s. I have been mostly raw, mostly fruits and seeds since then. I am now almost 31 years old. Last year, I did a water fast, on which I lasted 8 days; after that, I ate lots of cooked foods for a couple of weeks, then went back to raw, and my weight stabilized around 150. A few months later, I did a 22 day water fast with similar results; my weight ended up around 157. Another 3 months thereafter, I did a 3 week Master Cleanse, again I ended up bingeing on cooked foods for a couple of weeks, then went back to raw, and my weight stabilized around 165. I just completed a 40 day Master Cleanse (a couple of days ago), and interestingly enough, I don't feel like cooked foods at all this time. I went through all sorts of crazy cravings, but during the last week or two, the cravings disappeared almost entirely, and now that I am eating again (raw), I do enjoy it, but it doesn't feel like I have any catching up to do or anything. I just eat when I'm hungry, and so far, I have been gaining about a pound a day. I'm at 143 right now.

Here is my advice: (DISCLAIMER: DO NOT FOLLOW MY ADVICE. I AM NOT A HEALTH PROFESSIONAL, JUST SOMEONE WHO DOES NOT CARE MUCH ABOUT DEATH OR PAIN.) If you fast, go for 40 days, no less. You may be different, but I definitely feel a lot more balanced, content, healthy etc. after the 40 day fast than I ever did after any other fast. I'm eager to find out how much I will end up weighing after this rebuilding phase. My goal would probably be around 180, but it's just numbers, so who cares anyway?

Also, as always, David Zane Mason has some of the most valuable information, and I have to agree with him: To gain weight, fast and then feast. To lose weight, eat constantly and exercise.

I might also add: To destroy unhealthy parts of yourself (disease, pains, mood swings, cravings etc), fast for a long time and expect the symptoms to get much worse before they eventually disappear. To transform yourself into a wholesome being and build health, eat raw foods. Depending on your situation, you will have to decide which way to go. If I had cancer, I would go on a long fast. If I had vascular disease, I would eat lots and lots (of 100% raw foods) instead. In the latter case, I don't think a properly executed long fast would hurt, but if you end up breaking the fast after a couple of weeks and going on a binge, you might do more harm than good.

But then again, what do I know? But THEN AGAIN, what do doctors know??? They prescribe statins instead...

Date: April 05, 2007 01:17AM

YES!

i met a runner at a david wolf talk and he also told me he fasted 40 days to go 100% raw...

my story is MUCH like your own

I did M/C and juice fasts

10 days
13 days
15 days

After each - sooner or later I binged on BREAD!!!

I'd eat a WHOLE LOAF of it with peanut butter jam and banana

I got to 138 pounds!

My regular weight is 126!!

I've had enough!!
I am on a juice FEAST right now - day 9..
Thanx for reminding me of this 40 day thing....
That is now my goal!

I have a diary in the section if you are interested...I posted all my successes and failures there...

Please tell me how you are doing AFTEr the fast!

Posted by: taylor ()
Date: April 05, 2007 01:50AM

i tried a water fast for 2 and 1/2 days and i thought i was dying.it was so hard.so i like the slower approach like just eat a mono-fruit diet.eating a ton of banana's would be my dream diet. good luck.taylor

[img10.mytextgraphics.com]

Posted by: kleinphi ()
Date: April 05, 2007 04:23AM

rawrnr,

since you asked: I'm right now thinking about animal products. I have never before felt so strongly about this. It's not that I consider animal products less ethical or less healthy than before, but simply this feeling that I really only enjoy fruits and seeds. Why would I force myself to eat anything else? Now that I think about it, for the first time in my life, that includes rice as well. That is really strange: Within the past couple of weeks I went from craving rice, one of my favorite mind altering substances, to total freedom from it. I don't hate it or anything; I feel about rice the same way I feel about paper now. It's nice and all, but why would I want to eat it? Again, all this just refers to my appetite, not intellectual thoughts. I still think cooked rice is not all that bad, but also not really healthy, just like I did before; but now I feel no motivation to put rice in my mouth.

Posted by: flex4life ()
Date: April 05, 2007 04:29AM

I haven't fasted but I went from a muscular 185 lbs to 150 lbs in about 4 months of eating RAW vegan but I feel alot better. I have been noticing since last week that my body is starting to turn and rebuild the muscle mass.

[www.youtube.com]

Date: April 06, 2007 05:31PM

Today is day 11!!

YAY!!

I was very active yeaterday
taught a spinning class did a weight circut with a PT after
CAnnot believe I am NOT sore!

The day before I taught 2 weight lifting classes 1 hour each!

I soaked in 5c epsom and ACV last night - IT WORKED - I was hurting!!

Here are my states

5'8"
start weight = 137
now = 132
energy - throgh the roof!

I am running a 5k race tomorrow followed by a 29k run on Sunday - training for a marathon...we will se if I survive!!!

39 more days to be addiction free!!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables