Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Attn: Bryan.. a few raw questions...
Posted by: RawGuy2000 ()
Date: June 27, 2006 04:09PM

I had a few questions for you since you seem to know what you're talking about and have a vast amount of knowledge on the raw food lifestyle, and I applaud for that. Here are some questions:

1) The fungal infection, or any infection for that matter, is caused by diet and the amount of fat we eat in our raw food diet, as well as lifestyle (late sleeping, etc). The more fat we eat past the 80/10/10, the more our body becomes defenseless to toxins, etc. Now, if someone is transitioning from a 50/50/10 diet to an 80/10/10, what are the things that he/she should NOT consume? I understand fats, but a lot of people state that the fungal infection is caused by sugar levels that are out of whack. Can I eat any fruit I want, or should I stay away from certain fruits and if so, what fruits?

2A) Greens with a salad is very plain. What are some good, raw decisions to make some simple salad dressings? I've heard that lemon is good and I do enjoy that. Is lemon juice (freshly squeezed organic of coure) okay with a salad?

2cool smiley Also, what should NOT be combined with a salad?

2C) What are some good add-ons for a salad to give it more of a kick?

3) Before going into the Master Cleanse, to get the body ready for it, what are the best foods to eat a day or two before?

4) Is garlic good for the system to clean it out of toxins? How would you go about consuming the garlic? In a green juice made at the natural food store? What are some ways to digest it? (Not sure if this was normal, but after having garlic in my green soup a few days ago, I got this splitting headache - not sure if it had to do with the garlic or not, but I am curious about if it's good or not).

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Attn: Bryan.. a few raw questions...
Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: June 27, 2006 06:05PM

Hi RawGuy2000,

First, I share with you some assumptions I have about your health. I am assuming that so far you haven't done any permanent damage to your adrenal glands and your pancreas from your previous lifestyle. If the fungus is relatively new, and you haven't been noticing sugar related problems for some time before the fungus began, this should be the case. If you do have some damage to the pancreas/adrenals, those can be also be healed, but your ability to handle sweet things will take longer, as these organs need to be in good working order. If there is damage to the adrenals/pancreas, you might want to look for a supervised water fast from someone who has a lot of experience in conducting fasts.

1. The first few days you might want to back of the super sweet fruits, the bananas, mangos, dates, watermelon, etc. Definitely no sweetners like agave or maple syrup or honey. The subacid fruits, non sweet fruits be fine. The subacid fruits are things like strawberries, grapes, peaches, plums, nectarines, pears, apples, berries, etc. The non sweet fruit are things like tomatoes, cucumbers, bell peppers, zucchini, etc. After 2 days or so you might want to try eating the sweet fruits like bananas, mangos, watermelon, melon.

2a. First, you might want to consider eating some lettuce or celery as you are eating your fruit. I love eating romaine lettuce with my bananas or celery with my dates.

As for raw dressings, I make them often. Often I will use fat, say a 1/4 cup of hemp seeds or sesame seeds, or a small amount of avocado. But you can make them without fats also.

A simple dressing might be to blend some oranges with some celery. Or to blend some tomatoes with some celery. You might want to add some mild herbs like cilantro.

If you want to add fat (later, when you've regained your health), you can play with grinding some sesame seeds or hemp seeds in a grinder and then blending them in with the dressings (like the ones given above).

2b. Salad goes with everything except for perhaps melons.

2c. Adding a variety of non sweet fruit - tomatoes, cucumbers, bell peppers, Some different greens - romaine, butter lettuce. Celery.Sprouts are great, like clover, alfalfa, etc. Some of the bitter greens if you like - dandelion, arugula, etc. Then there are root veggies, like shredded carrots, beets, jicama,

3. I don't recommend the Master cleanse because of the Maple syrup. The best cleanse is to fast on only water. If that is too hard, then fast on some juice. If that is too hard, then go for days only eating fresh fruit and leafy greens, no fats.

4. Garlic is a toxin to the body. Most raw experts universally agree that it causes the brain to malfunction. There is some research by Bob Becker about how it impedes the communication between the hemispheres of the brain. So garlic is best avoided if possible.

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: June 27, 2006 06:15PM

RawGuy2000,

Another thing. After the symptoms of the fungal infection go away, you ought to be able to introduce fats again into the diet. Eating a low fat diet does not happen overnight for some people, because there are many reasons that fats are satisfying to people, including psychological and emotional reasons. If you find that you are unable to stay at eating low fat because it doesn't feel right, then coming to a low fat diet will be more of a process rather than an event. What this means is that just look to continously lower the fat intake from where it used to be (say at 50% or higher) to slightly lower levels that you can manage.

I write an article about some of the things that might be experienced when trying to eat a low fat diet and troubles start arising. Nora wrote an excellent article about emotional eating.

Date: June 27, 2006 06:36PM

Instead of the master cleanse, what would be a good juice to have on a juice fast, especially if I have the infection. What juice and fruits for the fast should I stay away from? And how long should I juice fast for.

Posted by: rawmark ()
Date: June 27, 2006 07:35PM

rawguy,

While I am not Bryan I do want to reply to your message as someone that is working on a second degree in nutrition. First, there is nothing wrong with the master cleanse and I have found it to be very gentle on the system. Just make sure you use organic maple syrup as this is the type that will exclused formaldehyde.

Second, if you are having trouble with fungus of any kind then I personally suggest supplementing the diet with oil of oregano. The type you want is the wildcrafted variety. I can point you to a website where you can buy true wildcrafted oil of oregano and it will kill virtually any fungus or infection you have. Here's a link to the kind I use:

[www.bio-alternatives.net]

Oil of Oregano is so powerful that it's the one powerful product, from nature, that is being touted, along with coconut oil, to combat bird flu.

Third, I encourage you to add pure, raw coconut oil to your diet. Not only is this oil highly beneficial to the body but it also kills off bacteria in the body.

If you go to [www.tropicaltraditions.com] you can find all the info you want to know about coconut oil.

As for salads, you can experiment and have fun. I often add sesame seeds, sunflower seeds, raw cashews, raw almonds, raisins, dates(chopped), and the standard fare of green, red or yellow peppers, sprouts, cucumbers, zuchini, cauliflower, green onions, flax crackers, etc.

I love to experiment and play with making new salad dressings. A good blender will crank out salad dressing in seconds. I almost always start with a base of coconut oil or olive oil. The coconut oil has to be heated long enough to liquefy it. Then you can add raw apple cider vinegar, basil, oregano, lemon, fennel, sesame or whatever else you like. You can do a search, on the web, for raw salad dressings and will be pleasantly surprised by what you find. Here's one, from this website, to get you started.

Zesty Dressing for salads
by Cathy

Mix together equal parts lemon juice, orange juice and lime juice.
Add fresh minced garlic
fresh dill and your favorite salad herbs
pinch of celtic salt
(can blend in avocado or olive oil if desired)
Chill to blend flavors
Serve over tossed salad
Enjoy

Peace,

Marcos

Go Vegan for your life, your health, the planet and, most importantly, the animals that we share this wonderful world with!

Date: June 27, 2006 07:47PM

I own the vitamix. What are some good salad dressings that are most close to nature? I know that Raw Vegan Restaurants like to add a lot of stuff to their dressings, which I think is what threw me off as well.

So greens are mixed well with citrus fruits, right? I like the oranges and celery with my salad. I just tried it. Very tasty. Hell, even oranges alone are tasty.

OK, so now I can try two things - Juice fast or the Master Cleanse. Anyone else have opinions on which ones?

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: June 27, 2006 09:52PM

RawGuy2000 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> OK, so now I can try two things - Juice fast or
> the Master Cleanse. Anyone else have opinions on
> which ones?

I would recommend a juice fast on green vegetable juice (and wheatgrass if you enjoy it) for candida. smiling smiley

And ditto on Mark's coconut oil idea. It's a big help and combines with fruit also with no side effects (unlike other fats like most other nuts).

Date: July 03, 2006 02:18PM

Now NNNNarz, when you say Juice Fast on Green Vegetable Juice.... Tell me more about the possibilities and concoctions that the natural food market can make for me since I do not have a juicer.

And is it okay to add Green Apple to it?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables