Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Is there REALLY b12 in bananas?
Posted by: Felix ()
Date: March 26, 2007 05:37PM

I googled "bananas and B12" and got several sites that stated that bananas have some B12. What do you think?

[www.juicing-for-health.com]

Proverbs 15:17 (New International Version) "Better a meal of vegetables where there is love than a fattened calf with hatred."

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Is there REALLY b12 in bananas?
Posted by: VeganLife ()
Date: March 26, 2007 10:43PM

It actually says "very little... B12". B12 is plants is absobed from bacteria around it so it actually depends on the ground quality. Even if the ground quality is good, I am almost sure that supplementing is more of a necessity.

Posted by: rawgosia ()
Date: March 26, 2007 11:09PM

Sure is.

According to an article which appeared in the February 2003 Harvard Mental Health Letter, B12 is found in bananas:
[hmiworld.org]

Another confirmed plant sources are green, blue, red, and black tea leaves:

J Nutr Sci Vitaminol (Tokyo). 2004 Dec;50(6):438-40.
Occurrence of vitamin B12 in green, blue, red, and black tea leaves.

* Kittaka-Katsura H,
* Watanabe F,
* Nakano Y.

Department of Food and Nutrition, Kyoto Women's Untiversity, Kyoto 605-8501, Japan. kittaka@kyoto-wu.ac.jp

Vitamin B12 contents of green (0.046-0.263 and 0.125-0.535 microg/100 g dry weight), blue (0.068-0.081 and 0.525-0.528 microg/l00 g dry weight), red (0.061 and 0.663 microg/100 g dry weight), and black (0.104-0.859 and 0.305-1.20 microg/100 dry weight) tea leaves were obtained by intrinsic factor-chemiluminescence and microbiological methods, respectively. Although vitamin B12 was found in all tea leaves tested by both assay methods, the higher values by the microbiological method were not due to occurrence of both deoxyribosides and deoxynucleotides (known as an alkali-resistant factor), but may have been due to that of inactive corrinoid compounds for mammals in the tea leaves.

B12 is found in other plants as well. I agree that this depends on the quality of the soil. This is one of the many reasons why growing you own organic produce is useful.

Gosia

RawGosia channel
RawGosia streams

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: March 27, 2007 12:57AM

In the John Coleman article Beyond Polemics he talks about finding B12 on the nutrition label of some raspberries he bought:

How is that? First of all, plant foods are by no means devoid of vitamin B12. They usually contain pink pigmented facultative methylotrophs, bacteria that make vitamin B12, as well as being able to take it up from suitable soil. I had a box of Chilean raspberries, and the label claims that they provide 30% of the RDA of vitamin B12 per 100 grams. While there seems to be little evidence that modern humans can obtain their own supply via bacteria in the gut, this does not prove that our ancestors were similarly limited. Because B12 can be stored in the liver and last for 10 to 20 years, there is no need for a year-round supply. Indeed such an adaptation suggests an animal that can do without the vitamin for extended periods, much as the camel can store water in its blood, and so manage without it for a long time. A regular flesh eater would have no need of such adaptations.

Posted by: SPARKLE ()
Date: March 27, 2007 03:51PM

Hey,

I bought some Raspberries from Sainsburys (UK supermarket) and the label said 'good source of vitamin B12'. So, there's hope.....

Posted by: llulu ()
Date: March 27, 2007 04:30PM

Dulse-- one tablespoon has 17% of RDA of B12. I mix some in my salad dressings instead of using salt, in smoothies. So eat sea veggies!

Posted by: fresh ()
Date: March 27, 2007 04:49PM

very interesting article

[www.veganhealth.org]

Posted by: fresh ()
Date: March 27, 2007 05:00PM

Fermented soy products, such as miso and tempeh, shiitake (dried mushrooms) and algae such as spirulina and nori contain practically no vitamin B12. While these foods are often sold in health food stores as "excellent souces of B12" and are widely used by the macrobiotic community, they actually contain little, if any active B12 (cobalamin). Instead they contain analogs of B12 that are not active and may actually block the absoprtion of true vitamin B12.

[www.andrews.edu]

Posted by: Rawrrr! ()
Date: April 13, 2007 12:18AM

Why can't we just take a banana to a lab and see if it has B12?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables