Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

801010 & sea vegetables
Posted by: meinleben ()
Date: May 02, 2007 12:36AM

for those of you that are doing 801010....are you implementing any sea vegetables??
dulse...nori....kelp....chlorella...ect....they are so vital...i hate leaving them out....gram for gram (in many ways) they are the most nutritious food around...and a blessing from the ocean...and they taste so good...

i guess what i am asking is "is there a place" for sea vegetables while doing 801010??

i am curious if bryan, gosia and others on 801010 are eating them....

thanks....

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 801010 & sea vegetables
Posted by: Fud ()
Date: May 02, 2007 12:56AM

I'm just curious as to how people can like the "FISH" taste. It is SOOO strong. How do you folks do that?

[rawfoodtrip.blogspot.com]
[jugglingforjoy.com]

Posted by: fuzzysox ()
Date: May 02, 2007 01:18AM

i agree it tastes soo much like eating fish,, i cant eat the stuff

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: May 02, 2007 01:25AM

DG rule of limitation
Don't eat anything from the sea
DG rule of limitation
If something tastes bad to DG then no one else should eat it.
DG rule of limitation
If it has salt on it don't eat it.
DG rule of limitation
If you can't make a meal of it don't eat.

If going by strict DG rules per above absolutely not.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
I use lots of dulse and kelp. And I don't in any way follow DG either.

elnatural

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: May 02, 2007 01:58AM

i find theres 2 smells that quite often get mixed ...

fishy stinks

oceany smells fabulous and fresh

there is a difference

ive had kelp that really smelled fishy and gross to me and ive had kelp that you would wanna just shove your head down into it smelled so down to earth (or ocean) lol

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: miaculpa ()
Date: May 02, 2007 02:28AM

I'm half asian and I LOVE DULSE AND ALL SEA WEEDS. I never liked, say, salmon, when I was omni tho...I can tear thru sea weeds like a manatee. It just tastes so goood to me.

Mia

Posted by: meinleben ()
Date: May 02, 2007 03:34AM

i think the ocean is a place where sea vegetables grow....and a place where fish live....like a jungle is a place where amazing fruit grows....and animals live....i dont want to eat the fish in the ocean or the animals in the jungle...

i do like the vegetables in the sea and the fruit in the jungle...

i don't think sea vegetables taste like fish....they do not taste like flesh food...they do taste fresh...clean....salty....

although i am trying to stick to 801010 very closly and will probably cut down on them a bit for a while...

Posted by: anaken ()
Date: May 02, 2007 04:05AM

the rationale from the dee gee is that 'eating sea vegetables for the minerals is like eating belladonna for the minerals' or poison ivy or what have you. That the algaes and sea weeds in a sense filter the ocean, absorbing minerals yes and all the other gunk that naturally and - due to the state of our oceans in the present - un naturally goops up in the water.

one other perspective thats somewhat 811 is that the high mineral content in a sense, isn't all that necessary if you are getting minerals from your fruits in vegies in decent quantity, or the more abstract notion of not needing to replenish minerals at all smiling smiley

I guess it boils down to whether you are of the idea that you need the minerals or not that the sea stuff provides...or obtuse dead end arguments about whether you think the water is in better shape then the soil or the air.

personally I think neither of these views shuts the case on sea veggies...but once I started rinsing my dulse I certainly found it less appealing. once I started doing stictly fruit and salad, the other sea vegetables became almost totally unpalatable.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/02/2007 04:06AM by anaken.

Posted by: coconutcream ()
Date: May 03, 2007 06:41AM

I agree with el naturel.

but that is just for me.

I ate seaweed once and it dehydrated me so bad, i coul dnot sleep and dried up, burning.

But its way better than a cheeseburger.

I consider raw food with life force intact, so unless you live by an ocean or get it dehydrated overnight, it can;t be that great right?

people say you live off nutrient sand minerals. i say you live off life force

we all have different ideas

Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: May 03, 2007 06:56AM

I agree with elnatural, Fud, fuzzysox, and Suvine. There's too much salt in sea vegetables for them to be 'healthy' for human consumption. Let the fish have them......WY

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: May 04, 2007 04:33AM

I'll eat seaweeds from time to time. I like to rinse them very well before eating them to get rid of the salt. Still, with all the rinsing, I get headaches from my seaweed salads. I have to wonder if this is the seaweeds collecting mercury or other toxins.

I also like nori rolls occasionally. These don't give me headaches unless I add some nama shoyu.

Anyway, seaweed is not part of 80/10/10. And based on the headaches I get from it, I don't recommend it to anyone even though I'll eat it from time to time.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: May 04, 2007 05:07AM

Dulse is a favorite food for me. "A Candy"

I haven't had a single headache since being on all raw foods for these last 10 years! and the joy increases......

elnatural

Posted by: uti ()
Date: May 04, 2007 08:05AM

meinleben,

For me there are no "rules" regarding 80/10/10. A person previously posting to this thread seems to have a personal axe to grind with Doug Graham. If you get up in your head with rules you are ignoring the rest of your body and not learning what works for you. My suggestion is to keep seaweeds in your raw diet and pay attention to how you feel after eating them.

I follow 80/10/10's basic guidelines. It's been working for me for over a year. But I also live near an unpolluted coast and buy seaweed from a local collector at our farmer's market. Occasionally I feel like I want some variety and include it for that. I presoak and rinse some of the salt away from the seaweeds. I also use certified organic raw Nori sheets for wraps on occasion. Unfortunately nori is imported as the local species does not lend itself to making the sheets according to one of the owners of a seaweed company in Mendocino, CA.

I notice that if I eat seaweed 2 days in a row whether in wraps or salads I don't feel at my best. I also try to remember to drink some water or eat more juicy fruit after a salty meal (either seaweeds or a raw restaurant meal).

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables