Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

How to calculate percentage?
Posted by: Pyratekk ()
Date: February 11, 2007 02:31PM

So a lot of people will say, "I'm 50/50 raw" or "I'm 80/20 raw" etc etc...I've even read "I'm 98% raw"

...is there any way this is calculated or do you just kind of guess how much you eat raw and don't??

~Christi~
Natural Living Info
AP/NL mama to Jacob 10/25/2006

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How to calculate percentage?
Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: February 11, 2007 04:57PM

A simple way would be to ask yourself how many all-raw meals (or portions of all-raw meals) you are eating CONSISTENTLY. If you make a goal to eat 1 all-raw meal per day consistently (assuming you are eating 3 meals per day) then you are approximately 33% all-raw! Simple. After all: it's just a tool to give a rough estimate anyway! Ha! ha!

-David Z. Mason

Posted by: Prism ()
Date: February 11, 2007 06:47PM

Yes, it's all pretty much estimated I think. You'd have to calculate your total days calories, or weekly or monthly, then find the percentage that comes from raw foods, which is TOO much math for mesmiling smiley Consitancy would be they key also, which many people aren't.

I like saying I'm high raw..which is 75% or more..and guess I'd now should say, I'm low raw..working my way up to high.

Love,
Prism

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: February 11, 2007 06:56PM

The interesting measure is the percentage of calories, as volume and weight percentages can be deceptive. I like using something similar to Dave's approach, but rather than just percent in a day, I look at percent in a week. In a week, if you are eating 3 meals a day, there are 21 (using 20 instead of 21 makes the math a little easier) meals. So 1 cooked meal a week is 95%, 2 cooked is 90%, 3 cooked is 85%, etc.

Posted by: rawgosia ()
Date: February 11, 2007 11:05PM

I think that calculating by calories is more accurate. If you have one cooked meal per day, every day, this meal may well contribute roughly anything from y=1/3 to y=2/3 of your daily calories. Which means that you are anything from 77% to 33% raw. So guessing how much raw you are is a wild guess. Assuming the first option (1/3), we have
* 1 cooked meal per week would be [1-1/(3*7)]*100% = 95% raw
* 2 cooked meals per week would be [1-2/(3*7)]*100% = 90% raw
* 3 cooked meals per week would be [1-3/(3*7)]*100% = 86% raw
* 4 cooked meals per week would be [1-4/(3*7)]*100% = 81% raw
* 7 cooked meals per week would be [1-7/(3*7)]*100% = 67% raw
and so on.

However, I believe that it is very likely that this cooked meal per day could contribute y=1/2 of daily calories (or more), which would change the numbers significantly (7 cooked meals per week would then be 50% raw). In general, if your daily fraction of calories attributed to your daily cooked meal is y, then n cooked meals per week will make you
[1-n*(x/7)]*100% raw.

Gosia

RawGosia channel
RawGosia streams

Posted by: Pyratekk ()
Date: February 11, 2007 11:33PM

Great smiling smiley
So then I was right when I recently said that I'm about 75-80% smiling smiley

Thanks guys and girls grinning smiley

~Christi~
Natural Living Info
AP/NL mama to Jacob 10/25/2006

Date: February 13, 2007 12:00AM

Correction from "Which means that you are anything from 77% to 33% raw" to "Which means that you are anything from 67% to 33% raw"!

Gosia

RawGosia channel
RawGosia streams

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: February 13, 2007 01:19AM

My stats:

By kcals, about 80%. (remainder is occasional legume, light beer, steamed vegetable, or "not really raw" raw food).

By volume, about 90-95%.

By time spent chewing, about 99%.

By cost, about 95%.

Posted by: cynthia ()
Date: February 14, 2007 03:00AM

gosia, how sweet and funny to see the maths in here smiling smiley
I like it very much -
Cynthia

Date: February 14, 2007 03:33AM

That's nice Cynthia! smiling smiley

I was wondering what % I would be if I ate one cooked meal per month. Assuming 1/3 ratio, it is
[1-1/(3*30)]*100% = 99%
which I define as high-raw (99% ore more).

Gosia

RawGosia channel
RawGosia streams

Posted by: tiffany ()
Date: May 13, 2007 08:27PM

hey gosia...compared to a SAD i consider 80 percent and above HIGH raw LOL......

I agree, i personally use fit day and i go by percentage of calories eaten..... high water fruits and things could be deceptive by volume....causwe i could eat a 15 pound watermelon and then eat 1 pound of mcdonalds french fries and SOOOO not be close to healthy raw even though my percentage was above 80 percent by volume....

i used to have trouble with this concept, but since going % of calories, it has been SO much easier to define myself and KNOW what i am eating....

i know this thread is older, but it sure helped me think about some things...

tiffntwins

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: May 13, 2007 09:10PM

One thing I've always hated about figuring out percentages of anything in terms of food (i.e., what percentage of calories come from fat, say) is that it's deceptive. For example, when I was doing a vegan diet a la Mediterranean (i.e., lots of veggies, some fruit, some grains, good fats, etc.) my Fitday totals for fat would be around 50% BUT I was eating around 1400 calories so the actual amount wasn't that much (as opposed to, say, someone eating a 2000 calorie diet who had 50% fat).

I find the same thing with eating raw. I've been eating no conscious cooked meals but have been using tehina from roasted sesame seeds (all I could find) and dry fruit that I was counting as not totally sun-dried mainly because I don't know for certain that it is certifiably raw (though most of the dry fruit I buy is in bins, so it's organic). But most of my raw meals have been around 1350-1500 calories so my percentage of raw has been 70-75% which is not where I want to be. It's also weird because the more calories I eat a day of raw stuff, the higher my percentage, because the calories go up but the calories for the non-raw stuff stayed the same (does that make sense at all???). So even eating 1600 calories instead of 1500 can drive my percentage up from 75% to 80% which is a big jump.

On the up side, I managed to find raw sesame seed butter in my local store, so now I am at 85% raw grinning smiley.

Tam

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: May 14, 2007 12:59AM

why don't we all just break out the TI- 89 and start hashing out some calculus here while we're at it smiling smiley ?

Posted by: tiffany ()
Date: May 14, 2007 01:15AM

hey i have a TI 89... silver edition... whatcha trying to say LAV? hee hee
tiffntwins

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables