Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Raw Athletes
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: May 15, 2007 11:47AM

I've been all raw for about a month now and LOVE it. My only concern is that I'm ramping up for a marathon and suddenly I feel as though I'm not getting enough to eat even though I eat all the time. I need enough power through food to sustain me through rigorous training...any thoughts and insights would be really helpful!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Raw Athletes
Posted by: bronwynsun ()
Date: May 15, 2007 12:58PM

hey libby,
it's a very tricky subject that i am still trying to figure out, day after day. it would be helpful to know what foods you are eating and in what quantities?
i personally perform best on just fruit: that way my body isn't wasting energy trying to figure out a complicated meal with heavy foods, etc. bananas are really great. I eat less throughout the day while i am training but it's very, very important to make up for that at at the end of your day, because though it's easy to feel ok on raw foods without getting enough calories, i personally get weaker that way.

hope it helps....let us know what you're eating, and any other specific questions!
grinning smiley

Date: May 15, 2007 01:11PM

If you've been raw for a month your probably gonna struggle a little because your energy is still being used to clean your body....

Posted by: Monark ()
Date: May 15, 2007 01:28PM

Hi libby - I just downloaded a free ebook called How Anybody Can Build Muscle on a Raw Food Diet by Peter Ragnar, which is geared towards bodybuilding, but is nutritionally very sound.

Here's the link : [www.roaringlionpublishing.com]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Read the fre*e e-book :
101 Ways to Change the World for Animals
[www.mypowermall.com]
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Own your own Power Mall, over 1000 stores - completely FRE*E
Receive rebates on items you already buy anyway....
[www.mypowermall.com]

Date: May 15, 2007 05:54PM

I relate very much. I used to race and train on my road bike while eating raw. I've switched to mountain biking 'cause the training is better for my body 'tho I still ride on the road smiling smiley

For me, I have to stabilize my blood sugar in the a.m. as I am prone to hypoglycemia. I find this way, the rest of my day goes better as far as not feeling like I need to constantly eat to not feel famished all the time.

I have tried all kinds of breakfasts...1) fruit 2) fruit with half avocado 3) fruit with whole avocado 3) smoothie with fruit 4) smoothie with raw hemp protein 5) green smoothie 6) flax crackers with fruit...You get the picture. All of these left me still starving about two hours later.

Recently, I just intuitively came up with a raw protein shake for the morning...I put two bananas, 2 scoops of raw hemp protein and some raw cacao powder and I felt nourished all morning and until lunch time. My training that day went great too.

It's a lot of trial and error, so don't be hard on yourself smiling smiley And, please eat enough smiling smiley Those were my biggest lessons smiling smiley

Best of luck with your marathon too!

Posted by: ryandvan ()
Date: May 15, 2007 08:37PM

Yes, I had the same problem when I went 100%. First, I think you have to give your body time to adjust, second, I'd say you might give juices a shot. Maybe up the fat too if you're not already maxed.

-Ryan
radicalvitality.com

Date: May 16, 2007 01:51PM

I second what Ryan said about the fat. I do a spoon of raw coconut butter from Artisana (the only pure one I've found that is raw) every day and it's good for my thyroid too smiling smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables