Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Hair Loss on Raw Diet?
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: May 23, 2007 06:39PM

Hi all,

This forum is great, thank you to everyone who takes the time to post their experiences and input.

I have been 100% Raw (currently battling the urge for Sushi!) for the past 3 weeks. Previous to that I was mainly vegetarian, pretty healthy diet, but my body has several soft tissue injuries that won't heal/osteporosis, etc. Mainly because I'm inept/lazy, I've been ordering "The Box" from Matt Amsden's restaurant RAWvolution.com. I've been supplementing with additional salads when I run out for the week, Vitamineral Greens, Liver Cleanse supplements, and am thinking of adding in some Flax Oil.

HERE's my question: I've noticed 2 things: 1) more my hair is falling out more when I brush it and 2)my skin is still dry but breaking out (have always had acne/scarring issues)

Any advice/experience on this? I feel like I NEED protein. I am taking Hemp powder for protein, but maybe the rice protein powder was better?

Thanks again~

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Hair Loss on Raw Diet?
Posted by: Miss Joan ()
Date: May 23, 2007 07:48PM

Hi Amelia, I'm new to raw foods but I want to share a couple of things I've learned. Alison Cohen was on the Today show and she said that juicing a whole cucumber has remarkable benefits for acne, skin ailments, skin rashes, nails and hair. It has silica and manganese (sp?) Also, when I started the 7 Weeks Raw diet I went to a good local health food store and spoke to a nutritionist about protein powders and which one is the best. She said Hemp protein powder without a doubt. She said that most other protein powders have chemicals in them. The one she gave me is 100% raw certified-organic hemp protein powder. It's made by Nutiva. I haven't ever used protein powders but I try to remember to put it in our smoothies. I must admit I forget more than I remember. This is a whole new routine but I'll get it together hopefully soon! I also put flax seed oil in smoothies and you can't even taste it. Today I made a double batch for me and my husband and put 4T in. I also put bee pollen in.

Good luck. Hope this helps. -J-

Joan

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: May 23, 2007 08:04PM

im quite certain hemp powder would be superior to rice powder

i prefer the whole seeds myself smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: vegcase ()
Date: May 23, 2007 08:07PM

I would think that the hair and skin issues are more detox related than protein related. (We really only *need* like 5% protein). I experienced hair loss in the beginning too.

Posted by: bronwynsun ()
Date: May 23, 2007 09:36PM

i think you will stop losing hair once your body detoxes and adjusts to raw foods. once you are cleaned out, it won't be an issue anymore, in my opinion.

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: May 23, 2007 09:41PM

i wish my gray hairs would fall out =p

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: Sparkler ()
Date: May 23, 2007 10:15PM

I don't think that the issue here is protein.

You haven't mentioned your exact diet, but whenever I read of people losing too much hair, it usually seems to turn out that they're eating a very high fat raw diet. In my opinion that is not optimal, or even very healthy.

After eating low fat raw for quite awhile, I went through a short period (3 weeks or so) where I ate a lot of avocados every day. I did notice more hair loss toward the end of that time.

I would certainly not add flax oil to the diet. And I'd go light on the gourmet cooked foods. Hope this helps a little.

Sarah
[goingbananasblog.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables