Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Anyone else eat oranges like this........
Posted by: aquadecoco ()
Date: May 20, 2007 05:03AM

All my life I have either peeled them and composted the skins and pith, or quartered them with a knife and chewed off the juicy part.

Someone showed me how they prepare them in Brazil and I like this way much better:
use a serrated knife or veg peeler to saw just the orange peel off, leaving as much pith as possible. It only takes one or two minutes and you all the bioflavonoids, etc in the pith.

Not very important I guess but I used to buy ester c with bioflavs cuz I was too lazy to find a way to make myself eat the pith.......

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Anyone else eat oranges like this........
Posted by: Howlingmoon ()
Date: May 20, 2007 05:07AM

That's the way I've been doing my oranges. = ) It took a little practice to get the peel off easily and quickly but, I think it's much easier that way, and I usually only have four pieces of peel left from each orange. = )

Howlingmoon "Moonie" Wolvespirit

Posted by: earthangel ()
Date: May 20, 2007 06:32AM

i do this as well..sometimes depending on the fruit i don't get much peel off at all and can eat it plain..I don't know if you are supposed to get rid of it..but ever since i was little my babysitter always fed us oranges and lemons like that...wherey ou just bit right into it after washing it off..no peeling or anything haha it was strange at first but that is how i like them....or else i go extremely different sometimes with grapefruits..i peel themand ONLY eat the segments haha
love earthangel
xoxoxoxoxoxo

Much peace and love!!!
EarthAngel
Xoxo

Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: May 20, 2007 07:20PM

Aren't oranges just really great?!!! Highly underrated fruit, IMO. smiling smiley

Posted by: aquadecoco ()
Date: May 21, 2007 07:21AM

..wherey ou just bit right into it after washing it off..no peeling or anything haha it was strange at first but that is how i like them

Earthangel - First time I ever heard of that - am wondering if she was from another culture or country. Am going to try that one day!

And yeah they really are great fruit. Am loving grapefruit juice so much lately too.

Posted by: earthangel ()
Date: May 21, 2007 07:41AM

It is an aquired taste at first but i was young haha...it is a little too bitter sometimes though depending on the orange..and always make sure you get organic smiling smiley
yes she was spanish...but she was born in this country i believe....but she was raised with all the traditions and teachings from back home smiling smiley she was my angel!!!
love earthangel
xoxoxoxoxo

Much peace and love!!!
EarthAngel
Xoxo

Posted by: Miss Joan ()
Date: May 22, 2007 01:22AM

I always ate the pith from the skin after peeling an orange and everyone (without exception!) thought I was nuts. I like the zest of oranges and lemons. I'm not sure I would enjoy eating the skin. A personal preference, I guess. -J-

Joan

Posted by: Rawrrr! ()
Date: May 22, 2007 03:53AM

one time I read somewhere, maybe here... someone was saying that they knew of someone who ate the "membrane" of the orange..... I was thinking, they act like the white of the orange is like "dirty genitals" or something. That sad way of thinking is why people are diseased.

I've known for years that the white of an orange & citrus is full of bioflavonoids, rutin, hesperidin & other blessings.

Posted by: anaken ()
Date: May 22, 2007 04:26AM

When I eat oranges sometimes I will juice the orange in my mouth and spit out the stringy mess if i'm eating like a ton. I find once I have a 'wadge' of stringy 'pith' or whatever its pretty much impossible to chew/break down/swallow.

with grapefruit I almost always pop the juicy part out of its 'sac' and eat it that way. I'm not concerned either way with minerals or detriments...the white part just tastes ick to me, also too many bad experiences eating grapefruit with a spoon as a kid. juice eye!

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: May 22, 2007 04:58AM

I actually just starting eating my citrus fruits this way! I've been throwing them in the blender and just bleding them up with all the white pith. It makes for a nice creamy smoothie. If you just add in some extra orange juice, it completely takes away the bitter taste, even the bitter taste of the grapefruit! It's nice to know (now) that I'm not missing out on the extra nutrients smiling smiley

Posted by: tiffany ()
Date: May 22, 2007 03:17PM

i would think that eating the orange with the peel on would help you get healthy doses of fat from the "oil"... i assume that it's really oil....

i would suspect that for some it could help wiht cravings for unhealthy oils.... i have a gut feeling it would for me....we all know what orange oil does for countertop spills.. wonder if it could detox our insides too!

lol

Love and Light

Tiffntwins

`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸.´¯`•...¸><((((º>

SWIM FREE FISHES!

Posted by: Miss Joan ()
Date: May 24, 2007 02:01AM

Good thought! Tomorrow I'm going to leave the skin on the orange for our smoothie. So far, the smoothies haven't had any overwhelming taste of one thing. They've all been delicious and my fussy husband loves them. The Vita-Mix pulverizes everything and the drinks are yummy!

Joan

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables