Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Mold in vegetables and fruits..
Posted by: CherryBlossom ()
Date: May 23, 2007 01:01AM

I just recently read that all raw fruits and veggies have some amount of mold in them which feeds Candida.

I also read you should soak them in grapefruit seed extract prior to eating because of this..hmm.

Well, that is a pain the ass because I like to just munch on those things raw & organic and sometimes even forget to rinse them altogether (I know -bad!).

How big of a concern is this and should I be worried?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Mold in vegetables and fruits..
Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: May 23, 2007 01:13AM

This is not a concern. If a fruit or veggie has mold on it, I will cut out the moldy or spoiled part, and eat the rest if it tastes OK. If it has fermented, it goes in the compost.

The products of fermentation are not healthful and should be avoided.

Posted by: Miss Joan ()
Date: May 23, 2007 01:35AM

Is grapefruit seed extract the same as the vegetable wash I get at my local health food store? It's called Healthy Harvest? This store employes Nutritionists, Doctors and very knowledgable people. I trust anything they carry but I'm open for suggestions. Thx! -J-

Joan

Posted by: Dulset ()
Date: May 23, 2007 01:16PM

Organic greens I just wash with water and for most everything else I use the veggie wash.

Posted by: TroySantos ()
Date: May 25, 2007 05:54AM

An opportunity!! I've been wanting to post this to the group for a while.

I remember reading something a couple of years ago regarding moldy fruits. It was on Frederic Patenaude's website. One of his articles. He said that when a fruit is even a little bit moldy, it's no good anymore!! He wrote that it's not ok to just cut that part out and eat the rest. According to him, it's not food anymore. I've never felt comfortable throwing out a whole papaya just because it has a few moldy spots. At least in Thailand, most papayas do get mold even before they're ripe.

This way is not compatible with Zen practice. This way IS Zen practice. - Dr. Doug Graham

Nothing whatsoever should be attached to. - Buddha

Posted by: TroySantos ()
Date: May 25, 2007 05:59AM

One more thing, regarding washing vegetables. Know of anything that will remove agricultural chemicals?

I learned that soaking produce in a tub of water (many liters, but I don't know just how many) a tablespoon of baking soda for 20 minutes removes at least 90% of the agricultural chemicals. Real real hard for me to believe, especially from something like a watermelon! I haven't found the source of this information but I continue to search for something regarding this. I contacted Arm & Hammer but they didn't give me a specific response.

This way is not compatible with Zen practice. This way IS Zen practice. - Dr. Doug Graham

Nothing whatsoever should be attached to. - Buddha

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables