Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Amazing herb you might have growing in your backyard!
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: May 17, 2007 10:23PM

Hi, I just wanted to make a quick addition to this forum about this amazing "weed" that is growing in my backyard that I've eaten since I was like 5, my parents call it "verdolaga" in Spanish, it's most common name is Purslane. I had an amazing salad with it today and decided to google it, and came up with this:
[en.wikipedia.org]
Now, not only is this "weed" high in antioxidants, have one of the HIGHEST concentrations of Omega Fatty Acids of all the leafy plants, super high in vitamin C, etc. etc. etc., it's DELICIOUS!!!!
I just made myself an amazing salad that I totally recommend:
Verdolagas washed and chopped + 1 cut up cacti leaf + the juice of 1 or 2 lemons + half a cup of chopped up onion + a couple of pinches of sea salt (you cold also add jalapenos or dried chilli if you'd like). (Unbelievably all of these things were growing in my backyard! It makes me feel 1000x better eating food that I have grown!>>.but that's another topic)>>>>
Anyhow, the verdolagas has a deliciously hearty flavor. I could kind of compare it to a salty, semi-bitter spinach. It's sooo good!
Anyhow, check your backyard!! You just might have this little miracle "weed" (HERB!!!) growing in your backyard and not know it!
happy eating!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Amazing herb you might have growing in your backyard!
Posted by: cynthia ()
Date: May 18, 2007 12:03AM

thanks queerraw !!! I didn't know purslane was edible. I will try it as soon as it will grows in my garden - usually I have a lot betwwen the usual veggies

Posted by: tiffany ()
Date: May 18, 2007 12:45AM

THANKS QR I WILL GO LOOK FOR SOME WILD NOW!

Love and Light

Tiffntwins

`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸.´¯`•...¸><((((º>

SWIM FREE FISHES!

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: May 18, 2007 08:23PM

Purslane is high in oxalic acid so I would not eat much of it.

Posted by: TroySantos ()
Date: May 25, 2007 07:02AM

I've read that some researchers say that the propensity for oxalic acid to bind to ... what is it, iron (?), is activated by cooking. So oxalic acid from raw sources wouldn't be a concern. And, successful, 30-year raw fooder told me this a long time ago.

Plus, yeah, the stuff tastes great. There are lots of wild plants that are great to eat. I regularly enjoy the nutty flavor of one that I am just about to search for some information on.

Also, in the Pictures of You thread, Bryan posted a picture of him next to a wild mallow. Delicious. Grows in California. I was surprised. I am living in South Korea. I saw it in a store one day. I'd never seen it before so I tried it. NIIICE. Then I saw it growing semi-wild all over the place. Then I grew some myself. Easy easy easy to grow. Here's a link.

[www.ibiblio.org]

Malva verticillata is the scientific name. Some people call it Chinese Mallow. It's delicious. Nutty flavor, mucilagenous. Here's a link to that thread with Bryan's picture and a view of the plant. In this picture, it looks like pretty much any other mallow.

[www.rawfoodsupport.com]

There's someone on this board that loves wild plants. Funky Rob, if I'm not mistaken. "How'd you get so funky? ... King Tut ...." From that old Steve Martin song.

This way is not compatible with Zen practice. This way IS Zen practice. - Dr. Doug Graham

Nothing whatsoever should be attached to. - Buddha

Posted by: Funky Rob ()
Date: May 25, 2007 08:48PM

TroySantos Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> There's someone on this board that loves wild
> plants. Funky Rob, if I'm not mistaken. "How'd you
> get so funky? ... King Tut ...." From that old
> Steve Martin song.

You called? I love purslane but I've never found it growing wild in England (it grew in my garden when I lived in Spain).

Mallow is great and it grows everywhere!

Rob

--
Rob Hull - Funky Raw
My blog: [www.rawrob.com]

Posted by: life101 ()
Date: May 26, 2007 03:47AM

I have some Purslane seeds. I've been waiting to plant them since buying them last fall. Heck, I looked at Wikipedia. I've seen these growing as weeds in the grass in Michigan in our backyard. We used to pull them out because they choked out the grass!

Hmm, times change. Now, I'm going to grow the darn weed that was so vicious to the grass. winking smiley May it be better to me that I was to it.

Thanks for the Purslane reminder QR.
Therese

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables