Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Raw food recipes for a new raw foodist.
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: May 26, 2007 09:07PM

Hey,

I've been a vegan for over a year (with long periods of time being a vegan friendly replica of SAD) but am now seriously trying to incorperate much more raw/living foods into my diet, so they form at 80% or so. I have tried my hand at some raw food recipes, inc. dips, pastes and soups but I can never get them to a nice consistancy. A soup I made today with these ingredients (avacardo, small cup water, 1/2 lemon juice, spring onions, carrots, chilli and celery) blended together came out more like a watery sick! The paste I made earlier to spread on some lettuce leaves was nicer, although I find the coldness of the food abit of a shock after eating mostly processed and cooked foods. Anyone got any advice or nice recipes that only need a blender? Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Raw food recipes for a new raw foodist.
Posted by: diana ()
Date: May 27, 2007 01:47PM

Good Morning Rebecca123...I usually start my blending with the least amount of liquid as possible...also...sometimes the same recipe comes out thicker and sometimes thinner...because the water content of each fruit or veggie varies...it's trial and error...but just start with less liquid and add more as you go...and pulse blend so as not to burn out your motor...

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: May 28, 2007 12:59AM

What helped me on my raw path was to incorporate more fresh ripe fruit into my diet. Fruit requires no special applicances, but it does require that you buy either ripe fruit or ripen the fruit at home before eating them. It is also necessary to learn about food combining if you are going to eat meals based on fruit, as incorrect food combining can lead to gastric distress.

Here's my favorite smoothie: 6 bananas, 6 strawberries. Blend. If your blender isn't powerful enough, you may need to add a little bit of water (1/8 cup or so). For a frostier smoothie, use a few frozen bananas (say 2) in place of the fresh ones.

Posted by: Cecilia Ines ()
Date: May 28, 2007 02:22AM

Hi Rebecca,
It's a lot of trial and error. My favorite soup recipe is for a Spanish Soup that they eat in Spain called Gazpacho:

Traditional Spanish Gazpacho

Ingredients
Soup

10 medium ripe tomatoes
½ cucumber (about 3 inch piece)
½ red bell pepper
2 cloves garlic
2-3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil.
1/8 teaspoon cayenne (optional)

Suggested Garnishes

Dulse flakes or pieces of torn Dulse.
2 tablespoons chopped green onion or chives
¼ cup chopped parsley
½ cup sliced cherry tomatoes
½ cup diced cucumbers
diced avocado
1-2 tablespoons ground flax or sesame seeds to be used as bread crumbs (optional)
A drizzle of olive oil. (optional)

Add all soup ingredients in the blender and blend until smooth. Let soup sit in the refrigerator for a few hours before garnishing and serving. Gazpacho is also better the next day

Best Wishes,
Cecilia

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: May 28, 2007 10:48AM

Thanks for the suggestions. The spanish soup sounds nice and I definately think having a few frozen bananas in the smoothie mix would work well. I'm not sure about the quantities though, the sugar such a potent mix holds may not agree with me, atleast for the time being. I do eat alot of raw fruit though and enjoy salads, but I do want to increase my consumption of prepared raw foods as some certainly look deliscious.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables