Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

eating grains raw?
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: May 25, 2007 10:01PM

hey to all guys!

a couple of questions I have

is it possible? if yes, how do u do that?
and if you soak those dried legumes is it considered to be raw?
i heard that red kidney beans are toxic when raw...

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: eating grains raw?
Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: May 26, 2007 01:02AM

I don't like eating raw legumes in general. I too have had friends who have become sick from eating soaked and sprouted beans. I guess having seen my friends get sick, I don't need to have that experience.

Beans are also pretty hard to digest, even when cooked. Partly because they are high in starch and protein, which makes for a difficult food combination to digestion.

My staples are fruits and greens since going raw. In the land of cooked foods, beans and rice could be staples, but they really aren't that edible raw.

Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: May 26, 2007 10:13AM

Personally, I don't care for the taste of sprouted raw legumes.

But as for sprouted grains, I really like sprouted wheat, eaten raw, whole (not crushed) and fresh (not dehydrated). I'm not gluten sensitive, but if I were, I'd eat some other sprouted grain.

I only eat about 1/4 cup sprouted wheat (measured dry) once or twice a week, but I consider it an important part of my diet, and it really seems to help me stay raw. I believe the reason it helps me stay raw is that it's a concentrated source of nutrients.

I sprout the wheat grains by soaking them overnight; then I rinse them and turn the jar upside down to drain (with the sprouting lid on the jar of course). I rinse them again that evening and drain them upside down overnight, then I rinse them again the next morning and again later that day before I eat them - usually in the late afternoon or evening.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 05/26/2007 10:20AM by suncloud.

Posted by: tiffany ()
Date: May 26, 2007 06:24PM

So suncloud... do you have three jars going at once so that you have some fresh each day? or do you mkae a big bunch and keep in fridge for a few days and use when you need them?

Love and Light

Tiffntwins

`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸.´¯`•...¸><((((º>

SWIM FREE FISHES!

Posted by: Miss Joan ()
Date: May 26, 2007 07:32PM

Suncloud, What kind of wheat grains do you buy? I was at the health food store and there were so many I didn't know what to get so I got nothing. I bought Kamut and Alfalfa instead to sprout. I love the Mung beans I sprouted. They were awesome but took 4 or so days. It sounds like the wheat you sprout is ready really quickly!

Do you, or anyone this board, grow and juice wheatgrass? I really want to do that because it's so good for you. I was reading about a 3 day fast you can do and you feel good and don't get all those other symptoms. What's everyone's thoughts on wheatgrass?

Enjoy the weekend!

Joan

Date: May 26, 2007 08:21PM

To Tiffany,

Thanks for asking! I don't eat the sprouted wheat every day, so I don't have to start it everyday. Each person is different, but a very small amount once or twice a week seems enough for me.

I do however eat sprouted brown sesame seeds and sprouted hulled sunflower seeds almost everyday. They take less time to come to their peak than the wheat (wheat: 48 hours, sesame and sunflower seeds: 36 hours. A cool, dry climale might require more sprouting time and/or more frequent rinsing).

I've tried keeping my sprouts in the fridge, but they keep growing, just more slowly. 8 - 12 hours in the fridge is OK, but I like them better if they haven't been refrigerated. I always have at least a couple of jars of sprouts soaking and/or draining on my kitchen countertop.

Miss Joan, I don't think I've ever had raw sprouted mung beans. In fact, I bought some mung beans a while ago to see what they would be like sprouted, and then I forgot to sprout them. Thanks for reminding me!

Many people say the red winter wheat is best for sprouting and for wheat grass. It's been my experience that any kind of whole wheat will sprout, and it all tastes good to me. But I'd try to avoid batches of wheat that contain a lot of broken kernels. And of course, it should be organic.

I have a hard time with wheatgrass, possibly related to my sensitivity to greens. I have a friend though who's grown and juiced her own wheat grass for years, and she thinks it's wonderful.

I think I will try sprouting kamut. I'd also like to try sprouting buckwheat and rye. I've heard people say sprouted rye is very good.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/26/2007 08:24PM by suncloud.

Posted by: Cecilia Ines ()
Date: May 28, 2007 02:31AM

Hey there,
You can soak and sprout buckwheat for a couple of days until it has a little little sprout, not too long or it gets bitter and then you can eat it raw or dehydrate it.

Best Wishes,
Cecilia

For Your Free Raw Food Starter Guide E-book Go To:
[www.rawglow.com]

Let your inner glow shine!

Date: May 28, 2007 07:43AM

Thank you Cecilia, I will try it! By the way, I enjoyed your website!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/28/2007 07:44AM by suncloud.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables