Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Fruit seeds and Checking Body Fat Level
Posted by: frutarian_nav ()
Date: May 28, 2007 05:21PM

Hi,

I don't know whether anyone like fruit seeds in here or not but I do, sometimes, eat fruits with their seeds. Some people say that we should not eat fruit seeds and some of them are irritant and harmful.

Here are my question:

1. Is it ok to eat Papaya seeds which taste like hot paper or any other fruit seeds such as apple seeds, orange seeds, and specifically, Apricot, melon, squash, cantaloupe seeds? Which seeds are OK to eat and which are not safe to eat?

I want to fast on distilled water next week but some people suggested that I should check my body fat level first to determine the safest duration for my fast.

Here is my second question:

2. How can someone check their body fat level? Is it possible to check your body fat level with a Bathroom Scale? Is it accurate and reliable?

Thanks

Regards,

Navid

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fruit seeds and Checking Body Fat Level
Posted by: Funky Rob ()
Date: May 28, 2007 06:15PM

frutarian_nav Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> 1. Is it ok to eat Papaya seeds which taste like
> hot paper or any other fruit seeds such as apple
> seeds, orange seeds, and specifically, Apricot,
> melon, squash, cantaloupe seeds? Which seeds are
> OK to eat and which are not safe to eat?

I eat all of the seeds you have listed. Some people say papaya seeds are really good for us, others say the opposite! I don't eat too many of any seeds which taste bitter like papaya and apricot kernals.

Rob

--
Rob Hull - Funky Raw
My blog: [www.rawrob.com]

Posted by: Prism ()
Date: May 28, 2007 07:54PM

I would think that most of the harder seeds are going to pass right thru your body. I eat seeded watermelon and don't worry about eating the seeds. I've made tea out of the seeds before too.

I don't eat the other seeds you stated, except on occassion apple seeds maybe. How does one eat an apricot seed? What if you are eating 10 apricots at one time?

Love,
Prism

Date: May 28, 2007 08:06PM

Hey guys,
thanks for your consideration.
I meant apricot kernels not apricot seeds, and hot pepper not hot paper smiling smiley

Regards,

Navid

Posted by: rawfrancois ()
Date: May 28, 2007 08:07PM

I know that papaya seeds are safe to eat and are used in certain countries as substitutes for black pepper. Apple seeds contain toxic elements that, if eaten in sufficient quantitites, can kill you, so be careful. I'm pretty sure you can't eat an apricot seed, according to this from Answers.com:

"Although the oil from apricot seeds usually breaks down into a toxic substance capable of causing death within the human body, there are also varieties of apricot seed that are reported to be edible."

Citrus seeds are fine, I'm pretty sure, as are squash seeds (I've heard good things about raw pumpkin seeds). I don't know about melon, although I doubt they could be harmful.

Posted by: Miss Joan ()
Date: May 28, 2007 08:12PM

Hi Frutarian_nav, I'm glad you asked a question about seeds. I thought I had heard something a long time ago that apple seeds were toxic. I can't really remember where that came from. However, whenever I make a smoothie in the Vita-Mix I toss in whatever fruit it is seeds and all. The seeds end up pulverized and you don't know they're there. My theory is that it's natural so it must be OK. However, I'm anxious to hear what others with a ton more knowledge on this board have to say.

My scale has a body weight measurement but I don't know how reliable that is. Anxious to hear about that, also.

Have a rawsome day!

Joan

Posted by: Funky Rob ()
Date: May 28, 2007 08:22PM

rawfrancois Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I know that papaya seeds are safe to eat and are
> used in certain countries as substitutes for black
> pepper. Apple seeds contain toxic elements that,
> if eaten in sufficient quantitites, can kill you,
> so be careful. I'm pretty sure you can't eat an
> apricot seed, according to this from Answers.com:

You would have to eat a lot of apple seeds to have any toxic effect. As I'm sure I've said before, I've been eating my apples whole (with all seeds) for several years now, a couple of kilos per week over winter (and I'm still alive).

> "Although the oil from apricot seeds usually
> breaks down into a toxic substance capable of
> causing death within the human body, there are
> also varieties of apricot seed that are reported
> to be edible."

Don't eat too many, but in small quantities they are good for you. See [en.wikipedia.org] for more info. You can buy apricot kernals to eat from lots of places, see [www.google.co.uk] for some examples. To eat an apricot kernal, crack the seed open, just like cracking a nut, and eat what is inside, it looks very much like a almond.

> Citrus seeds are fine, I'm pretty sure, as are
> squash seeds (I've heard good things about raw
> pumpkin seeds). I don't know about melon, although
> I doubt they could be harmful.

Melons are in the same family as squash (everyone knows pumpkin seeds are edible), and melon seeds are edible. I have seen roasted melon seeds for sale in a Turkish shop.

Rob

--
Rob Hull - Funky Raw
My blog: [www.rawrob.com]

Date: May 29, 2007 01:30AM

Wow,
Fantastic replys. Thanks guys, I didn't have the vaguest idea about apple seeds and their toxicity.
Also, one more thing:
Do you guys eat 100 percent organic?
I used to eat 100 percent organic but I lost weight so precipitiously because I couldn't buy the food I needed. I eat some conventional food now that are not contaminated with pesticide as much. Here is a chart showing the worst and the best fruits and vegetables with regard to pesticide contamination. Keep waxes in mind too. I only eat conventional fruits that have a hard skin.
[www.foodnews.org]
If you can afford to go 100 percent organic do not eat any conventional fruits and vegetables.

Regards,

Navid

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/29/2007 01:36AM by frutarian_nav.

Posted by: ThomasLantern ()
Date: May 29, 2007 01:35AM

When I blend oranges and the seeds get in the blender... the taste of the smoothie always turns out really bitter and terrible. I make a point not to eat the seeds of my oranges winking smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables