Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

a couple questions......or so LOL
Posted by: dewey ()
Date: June 18, 2007 11:48PM

ok, so here i am. i'm not completely raw but i'm getting there. i'm just happy i gave up meat. anyways...i'm hungry like every 2 hours...is this normal? i feel like i'm always eating and that won't be great once summer is over and i go back to my teachers assistant job. i take the summers off so i can be with my kids. am i supposed to be munching/grazing most of the day? i`m not gaining weight, i`m losing cuz i also incorporated exercise i hadn`t been getting....nothing strenuous just the treadmill at varying speeds and inclines. next, i told my sister about the no meat thing and while she doesn't eat red meat she eats chicken like once a week. she said it(the m word) has enzymes and stuff that our body needs once in awhile. anyone know what she's speaking of and where i can find literature to back up my choices? also and i'm sure you're tired of hearing this but what about protein? my mom asked that. do you have a link or some info about our actual requirements for protein and how much is in certain foods? i apologize for using the m word but i need to have resources to explain the hows and whys of my choice to my closest family members. thanks in advance

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: a couple questions......or so LOL
Posted by: life101 ()
Date: June 19, 2007 02:32AM

I was told that humans need the most milk while an infant when doubling in size. I had heard that breast milk had only about 7% protein but according to Wikipedia, it's much lower: 'Human milk contains, on average, 1.1% protein, 4.2% fat, 7.0% lactose (a sugar), and supplies 72 kcal of energy per 100 grams." [en.wikipedia.org]

Also fruits/veggies, nuts, seeds, have protein. The cow milk that many SAD eaters drink is much higher in protein than human milk. While it can be drunk, it is really too much protein for humans. Where do cows get their protein? From grass and plant life, etc. that they eat. Protein does not make protein.

If you want more info on the break down of various fruits and veggies, you can go to fitday.com or similar website that lists nutrients found in fruits/veggies.

Good luck. Therese

Posted by: fresh ()
Date: June 19, 2007 03:06AM

life101 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I was told that humans need the most milk while an
> infant when doubling in size. I had heard that
> breast milk had only about 7% protein but
> according to Wikipedia, it's much lower: 'Human
> milk contains, on average, 1.1% protein, 4.2% fat,

i agree with your post but there may be some confusion about protein. i think the numbers you quoted may have been different measures. calories or grams?

protein per 100 grams

Grams % of Calories
Human 1.6 9.56
Cow 3.55 21.19
Dog 11.2 31.20
Swine 5.9 23.39
Sheep 6.5 24.14
Goat 4.3 22.84
Mare 1.3 13.40
Rabbit 15.5 37.69
Buffalo 4.4 17.55
Camel 3.6 24.04

Posted by: ferg ()
Date: June 19, 2007 02:30PM

Hi Dewey,

It's normal to be hungry a lot when first starting out. I have been about 90% raw for over a year and am still hungry all the time. I think with us raw foodists, people are so sceptical. Where do we get our protein? Well, very simply vegetables and nuts have all the protein our bodies need.

Your sister stating chicken has enzymes in it is simply not true. Cooking any food destroys the enzymes. In my opinion, Chicken has no nutritional value whatsoever--the amount you should eat is zero!

Most people on the S.A.D. are eating far more animal protien than necessary, and far more than is healthy. Think about this, if you ate nothing but the common potato and water (11% protien) you would still be getting more than enough protein. People have lived for lengthy periods of time eating nothing but this and showed no signs whatso ever of protein deficiency. This does not mean potatoes are a particularly high source of protein, they're not. But what it does show is the contrast of how low our protein requirements really are and how exaggerated are the beliefs most of us have about protein.

You can find more information on the vegetarian times or PETA sites. Or just do some googling.

Since I've started this journey, I have met so many people who try to sabotage what I am doing... you really have to think for yourself on this journey. And it takes a lot of will power. Especially when you are in social situations.

Good luck Dewey!

Posted by: shaine ()
Date: June 19, 2007 03:10PM

I had a boyfriend who went veggie when we moved in together. He was starving all the time. I fed him tons of pie and great prepared meals with plenty of tofu and seitan and everything was delicious to him and he didn't miss meat. But he was just so hungry. He ate about a pound of raisins every few days, and bunches of bananas. He lost about 10 pounds (he's a thin fit guy to begin with, and he began to look scrawny).

On the other hand, when I first went veg'n, I gained about 5-10 pounds. I wasn't that hungry all the time, and I tried to restrict.

Going raw, I am hungry a lot more, I could lose 5 vanity pounds, but I've lost more than I gained in the first place. I love that I can eat all day long, and maintain. Enjoy it, I say.

measure twice, cut once.

"In Watermelon Sugar the deeds were done and done again as my life is done in watermelon sugar." ~r.brautigan

I make paintings

Posted by: Funky Rob ()
Date: June 19, 2007 09:36PM

ferg Wrote:
> Think about this, if you ate nothing
> but the common potato and water (11% protien) you
> would still be getting more than enough protein.

Potatoes don't have 11% protein! According to www.nutritiondata.com a baked potato with skin has 3% protein. (And only 2% if you don't eat the skin).

Rob

--
Rob Hull - Funky Raw
My blog: [www.rawrob.com]

Posted by: anaken ()
Date: June 20, 2007 01:22AM

i think fergs point was still good...pretty much all basic foodsuffs (raw or not alough sidestepping the 'denaturing or whatever... of proteins) mimic the % nutrional needs for protein..even those set by the FDA!

deficiencies only show up from what you are eating or if you are not cleansing of wastes properly IMO

Posted by: ferg ()
Date: June 20, 2007 02:16PM

My mistake Rob,

Actually, a raw potato has 6% protein (but I guess it depends on how big the potato is, LOL!). But hopefully my point was taken as you can survive on very little protein—vegetables have all the protein the body requires.

But most raw foodists know that anyhow!

Posted by: Funky Rob ()
Date: June 20, 2007 02:27PM

ferg Wrote:
> Actually, a raw potato has 6% protein (but I guess
> it depends on how big the potato is, LOL!).

??? No, the percentage doesn't depend on how big the potato is, that's the whole point of using percentages. And according to www.nutritiondata.com raw potato with skin has 2% protien (which means 2g of protein for every 100g of potato).

Nuts and seeds have a much higher amount of protein, I like to have hemp seeds daily which have 25% protein.

Rob

--
Rob Hull - Funky Raw
My blog: [www.rawrob.com]

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: June 20, 2007 03:37PM

hmm how about the PROtato ...lol *sigh* why cant they leave food alone lol

Protein-Rich Potato Could Help Combat Malnutrition in India [www.whybiotech.com]

Genetically enhanced tuber contains one-third more protein than traditional varieties.

A new protein-rich potato developed by university researchers in India could one day be fed to school children to help combat malnutrition in the world's second most populous country.

Manju Sharma, head of the Indian Ministry of Science and Technology's department of biotechnology, recently said the genetically enhanced "protato" could be cleared for commercial production within six months to help "reduce the malnutrition problem in the country." 1

The protato — enhanced with a gene from the amaranth plant, a minor grain and leafy vegetable crop in South America, Africa and other regions 2 — has up to a third more protein than traditional potatoes and significantly higher levels of the essential amino acids lysine and methionine. Lysine is essential for normal brain development. 3

The creation of the protato, led by a team of researchers at Jawaharlal Nehru University in New Delhi, is part of the Indian government's three-pronged approach to end childhood mortality by providing children with clean water, better food and vaccines. 4

If approved, the protein-rich potato would be the first biotech food product available in India. Genetically enhanced cotton has been grown in India since 2002; and more than 40 biotech crops are under development by public institutions in India, and about 20 more are being developed by private companies. 5 Among these products are genetically enhanced rice and mustard that contain higher levels of beta carotene, the precursor of vitamin A. 6

While potatoes have relatively low levels of protein when compared with other crops like soybeans and amaranth itself, they do contain most of the vitamins needed for survival and are a relatively inexpensive food source. 7

Enough potatoes can be grown on a single acre to sustain up to 10 people. 8 That's one reason why potatoes have long been an important food for the resource-poor — beginning with the indigenous people living in the South American Andes where the crop originated, then in Europe, Ireland and much of the rest of the world.

And that's why even some critics of biotechnology have cautiously voiced support for the protato — provided all health safety and environmental concerns are addressed.

"If you're going to use GM at all, use it for this," Suman Sahai, who heads up Gene Campaign, a New Delhi-based organization that opposes patenting of plants, told New Scientist. "India's problem is that we're vegetarian, so pulses and legumes are the main protein source, but they're in short supply and expensive. The potato is good because it's cheap." 9

Govindarajan Padmanaban, a biochemist at the Indian Institute of Science who first announced the development of the protato at a meeting of the Royal Society in London in 2003, said he hopes Western environmentalists don't attack the potato as they have golden rice, which is genetically enhanced with the precursor of vitamin A.

"The requirements of developing countries are very different from those of rich countries," said Padmanaban. "I think it would be morally indefensible to oppose it." 10

With a growing population and limited land, India's government has long looked for ways to boost its agricultural productivity. The Green Revolution — with its improved varieties of high-yielding wheat and rice coupled with modern farming techniques — boosted rice and wheat production more than threefold in Asia between 1961 and 2001 while using only slightly more land.

The Green Revolution is credited with saving the lives of up to 1 billion people. The father of that revolution, Norman Borlaug, says what the Green Revolution did for the second half of the 20th century, the gene revolution could do for the 21st century.

While the Green Revolution drastically improved living conditions for many people in much of South and Southeast Asia, there are still many areas in the region that are plagued by malnutrition.

For the biotech protato, "zero child mortality in underprivileged children would be the goal," said Padmanaban.

For more information:

Genetically Modified "Protato" to Feed India's Poor — New Scientist

GM Potato Could Improve Child Health — BBC News

India to Approve GM Potato — BBC News

Bread and Peace (Norman Borlaug) — University of Minnesota Alumni Magazine

From the Green Revolution to the Gene Revolution — Council for Biotechnology Information

Products in the Pipeline — Council for Biotechnology Information

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: dewey ()
Date: June 20, 2007 04:33PM

ferg Wrote:
But
> hopefully my point was taken as you can survive on
> very little protein—vegetables have all the
> protein the body requires.

got it smiling smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables