Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Question about diarrhea
Posted by: anuiyer7 ()
Date: June 21, 2007 03:54PM

Dear all,

I had a question. My husband has been eating 75% raw food for a couple of months now and he has also completely quit dairy. He is having a LOT of diarrhea almost daily for about three weeks now. He went to a doctor (but did not explain his diet) and they said that there is nothing wrong with him.

But here's my question: He has a green smoothie for breakfast and lunch (any greens and bananas, apples, peach etc made into a smoothie, like in Victoria's book Green for life).
As soon as he eats green smoothies or any fresh fruit smoothies or fruits, he has diarrhea. Could some thing be wrong with this? Can greens do this?

I have a Vitamix and I grind the smoothies very fine.

Can some one please help?

Anu

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Question about diarrhea
Posted by: Prism ()
Date: June 22, 2007 01:41AM

What is the age of your husband? As we age (I'm 54) we lose some of digestive juices and (I just seem to be talking about this in every post lately) by adding braggs organic raw unfiltered apple cider vinegar to my daily diet I've gotten great results for digestive health, among the other things it's done for me.

I'm starting to think that if we do anything at all with regard to improving our diets, eating more raw or whatever..that it all starts with digestive health.

If you don't care for the idea of the raw acv, try fermented drinks or veggies, raw wine even, or fresh raw green apple juice daily. For me, I'm sticking with the acv that I take 3x a day.

You can learn more at bragg.com

Love,
Prism

Posted by: life101 ()
Date: June 23, 2007 07:45PM

Anu, When I first went raw, I had diarrhea for 2 day straight. It was a detox symptom: however, I wasn't drinking any smoothies. If you want to reduce the diarrhea, why don't you have him eat solid food instead of the smoothie? Also, fruit in general does not mix well with greens. Sweet fruit needs its own digestive acid. Even before I went raw, one diet doctor told me never to eat fruit except by itself. Usually you can eat fruit 15-20 mins prior to eating greens, etc. The exception is dried sweet fruit can be eaten with nuts/seeds. I think he is having too many smoothies that are not following food combining rules. Why don't you try it and see how his body reacts? If he wants a smoothie, just combine all fruit or all greens but not both. You can combine acidic or sub-acidic fruit with greens, just not sweet fruit.

I don't give much credence to Boutenko's theories. I read her children's book and it was very poor advice.

Good luck. Therese

Posted by: Azura Skye ()
Date: June 23, 2007 08:21PM

Hi there, I agree with life101
Fruits should ideally be eaten on their own - note - EATEN : ) They are quite high in sugar and require their fibre to be chewed well with digestive juices from saliva to help the tummy deal with them.
Perhaps try to eat fruit and greens seperately.

Perhaps try soaking oats? They are quite bulky and might help move and form things!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables