Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

weight gain on raw food
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: June 27, 2007 01:28PM

Hello everyone,

Here's my question: I'm a skinny 18 yr old guy at about 140lbs. How can I gain about another 10 lbs of muscle in a healthy fashion? I want to stay as raw as possible, but I think I might need to supplement some whey or something to gain weight. Also, what are the highest calorie raw foods that I can eat? (like potatoes?)

I jog 3-4 times a week for 40 minutes.
I do pushups and lift weights about 2-3 tims a week for 30 minutes.

What should I be eating?

Thanks,
Brandon

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: weight gain on raw food
Posted by: fresh ()
Date: June 27, 2007 02:03PM

brandonfred Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hello everyone,
>
> Here's my question: I'm a skinny 18 yr old guy at
> about 140lbs. How can I gain about another 10 lbs
> of muscle in a healthy fashion? I want to stay as
> raw as possible, but I think I might need to
> supplement some whey or something to gain weight.
> Also, what are the highest calorie raw foods that
> I can eat? (like potatoes?)
>
> I jog 3-4 times a week for 40 minutes.
> I do pushups and lift weights about 2-3 tims a
> week for 30 minutes.
>
> What should I be eating?
>
> Thanks,
> Brandon

i wouldn't advise you take whey.
i would say consider that jogging won't help during weight gain efforts.
check the links below, they may be of use

[www.bodyfatguide.com]
[www.zone-training.net]
[www.exercise911.net]

it is difficult to say what you should be eating. eat what you like. even if you go for high calorie foods, the only thing that matters calorically is how much of the food that you are eating. certainly i lean more towards bananas as opposed to apples due to caloric density, but it depends on your tastes and needs.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/27/2007 02:05PM by fresh.

Posted by: Bikini ()
Date: June 27, 2007 02:19PM

you can try...
lots of coconut oil and nut butter, (really raw cashew, macadamia, or almond are good) a few tablespoons each added to hemp protein powder smoothies.... adding whole avocados daily to your salad plate... using lots of raw tahini dressing you make yourself poured on salads... adding a few TBS of raw tahini paste to your green smoothies... eating liberal amounts of cashew "cream cheese" or seed cheese with your meals... raw sprouted grains are one of the best ways my raw athletic friends keep their calorie and energy intakes high. try soaked and sprouted buckwheat, quinoa or oat groats and mix with agave and pumpkin seeds.....raw olives are high in fat and calories and are great for maintaining or building...raw breads are also good if you can find them ready made or order some online....

peace
love
joy
i breathe in
i breathe out
Bikini

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: June 27, 2007 03:18PM

lots of high calorie fruit and lots of weightlifting smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: tanawana ()
Date: June 27, 2007 03:26PM

To gain 10lbs of muscle is done by weights. Gaining 10lbs of muscle through food wouldn't be muscle. Eat enough calories, bananas are the easiest especially if you blend em and lift sumthin' heavy.

Posted by: Mislu ()
Date: June 27, 2007 07:27PM

I've heard of people adding spirulina and or fresh green juices for added protein. But I don't know if thats the best. When I was weightlifting a number of years ago, I started eating a lot of tofu for protein. But now I know about the phytoestrogens and other problems with soy, I wouldn't do that again. I also added raisins and pine nuts for extra calories, as I kept on loosing weight.

Its kind of strange, with dealing with protein energy malnutrition in developing countries, the stratagy was to add extra calories from startch and oils, not extra protein, which I found suprising. Of course that approach was coming from more standard nutritional cooked models.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables