Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Grandpa question
Posted by: dvdai ()
Date: July 05, 2007 12:19AM

My grandpa is 93 years old and eating better then he has his entire life. When I started this raw foods thing 6 months ago, he is my favorite person to talk to about it because he would initiated the conversations and had a genuine interest in it.

He decided he was going to do more of a limited raw foods lifestyle. He's been eating alot of grapes and it's risen his sugar levels. He is diabetic. Where can I find some good information on diabetics and the best approach to the raw food life style for them.

Other then grapes, he has been eating salad and nuts occassionally with turkey.

david

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Grandpa question
Posted by: pakd4fun ()
Date: July 05, 2007 12:39AM

I hope you get an answer. Sorry I don't have one. I just wanted to make the comment that you are lucky to have a cool grandpa around. Wish I did. Maybe someone else will help.

Posted by: Pistachio ()
Date: July 05, 2007 01:05AM

Many doctors do advise their diabetic patients to refrain from eating grapes/grape juice. And people I know who check their blood sugar have stated that they do see it increase when they have eaten them.

I've never looked into why the grapes in particular causes this situation, but am sure it would be interesting to find out.

Wishing you vibrant health

Posted by: ambulancears ()
Date: July 05, 2007 01:06AM

I totally agree, pakd. It's great to see a strong connection between generations. smiling smiley

Posted by: Bikini ()
Date: July 05, 2007 02:47AM

My grandfather was in his 90's and a diabetic also... Raw food for diabetics does not rely on sweet fruit, but rather on greens and non-sweet fruit, vegetables, green juices, nuts and seeds. The premier raw food retreat centers -both The Hippocrates Center run by Brian Clement and the Optimum Health Institute of San Diego have special dietary programs for their sugar sensitive clients which rely on veggies and do not include fruits. I think its awesome that you and your grandfather get along so well that he's getting into the raw lifestyle. smiling smiley

peace
love
i breathe in
i breathe out
Bikini

Posted by: anaken ()
Date: July 05, 2007 03:28AM

I would think that 93 would be a hard age to do much detoxifying

I would say it would be best to eat the foods he's used to/enjoys with added fresh raw foods. and removing as many un-healthful habits as comfortable.

for instance

huge raw vegetable salad w/before turkey

small meals of fruits

introducing food combining principles could go along way to feeling better without any actual detox.

vegetable jucing would be good.
limited fat is an approach in addition to the above post...but I wouldn't advise going gungho on fruits at that age. probably best to stick with lots of vegies, some cooked carbs, some lean protein etc..

Posted by: pihourova ()
Date: July 05, 2007 08:21AM

try to send a pm to earthangel. she is diabetic and she is a nurse as well. plus she is 100% raw. she should know better than anyone.

Posted by: VeganLife ()
Date: July 05, 2007 11:05AM

This seems tobe a "which raw foods are low GI" kinda question. maybe you should look into the whole low GI (glycemic index) thing.

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: July 07, 2007 02:27PM

wishing your grandpa
an outrageously wonderful life

!

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: July 08, 2007 03:14AM

i think its very cool yer grandpas into it smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables