Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Raw Food on Front of yahoo.com ! smiling smiley
Posted by: rawnoggin ()
Date: July 13, 2007 10:44AM

At the moment, on the front of Yahoo, there's a news snippet about a burger made with donut buns (or something like that) and underneath it says 'Consider a raw-food diet instead. Which links to this:

[food.yahoo.com]

Nice to see raw food getting out there ;-)

(Just to add- in the article it mentions about taking supplements when raw, which we all know isn't a neccesity but since most people these days are taking supps anyway (meateaters, vegetarians, vegans), I don't think it'll scare people off... smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/13/2007 10:52AM by rawnoggin.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Raw Food on Front of yahoo.com ! smiling smiley
Posted by: khale ()
Date: July 13, 2007 01:24PM

Yeah, but their "bottom-line" is unfortunate:

"Our bottom line: Our digestive systems have their own enzymes; we don't need to get them from foods. The benefits of raw-foods diets—reduced cholesterol and weight control—can be achieved by eating more vegetables, fruits and whole grains, limiting foods high in saturated and trans fats, and using portion control."

The first sentence is just plain out wrong. True, our digestive systems do contain enzymes, that are generally depleted by the time the average SAD eater reaches the age of 30. Current thought states that we are allotted a certain amount of enzymes at birth and that when they are used up, they are gone; they don't re-generate. This is the primary reason twenty year olds can skate by (generally speaking) eating tons of garbage, while 30 year olds wail, "but I used to be able to eat anything!"

Also, the main benefits of a raw food diet are not weight control or lowered cholesterol, IMO. Revitalization, healing, and a greater sense of well-being trumps those stated, not to mention the benefits to the planet as a whole...

...and though it is good to see raw foods hitting the mainstream (I think?...as the mainstream has a way of perverting really good things), this particular article is dismissive in the end.

khale

Date: July 13, 2007 01:43PM

Posts like this make me laugh because people talk as if the raw lifestyle is something brand new....the raw lifestyle has been around for years and people already know that cooked food is not the healthiest for their bodies, just like most people know that smoking and drinking alcohol is not the best thing to do, the problem is that the raw lifestyle takes too much effort and dedication so it will never catch on in a big way unless it's greatly perverted with rich raw gourmet recipes and fake raw/cooked snacks or they find a way to reduce the cravings/detox....a lot of people in mainstream society know very well what they are supposed to be doing but many refuse to make the effort or give up their cooked treats.

Posted by: rawfrancois ()
Date: July 13, 2007 01:46PM

Let them have their bottom line, they're the ones with intestines clogged full of cheesy polenta (which was the side recipe to the article [: ).

<3

Posted by: rawnoggin ()
Date: July 13, 2007 02:38PM

rawfrancois Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Let them have their bottom line, they're the ones
> with intestines clogged full of cheesy polenta
> (which was the side recipe to the article [: ).
>
>
> <3

Cheesy polenta sounds like some kind of infection.... euww!

I know it's kind of lame when media refers to raw food as a 'new' diet- on Juliano's Planet Raw restaurant there's a media clip in the corner, where the narrator describes raw food as a 'fad'!! When does being healthy become a 'fad'?

I know it's not perfect, but it's good to see raw food in the media more and more. I particularly liked Shazzie defending superfoods on Channel 5, UK.

See it here: [www.youtube.com]

Posted by: dewey ()
Date: July 13, 2007 03:41PM

The Fruitarian One Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
people already know that cooked food is not
> the healthiest for their bodies, just like most
> people know that smoking and drinking alcohol is
> not the best thing to do, the problem is that the
> raw lifestyle takes too much effort and dedication
> so it will never catch on in a big way unless it's
> greatly perverted with rich raw gourmet recipes
> and fake raw/cooked snacks or they find a way to
> reduce the cravings/detox....a lot of people in
> mainstream society know very well what they are
> supposed to be doing but many refuse to make the
> effort or give up their cooked treats>

you are exactly right...it`s actually pretty sad

Posted by: Prism ()
Date: July 13, 2007 05:22PM

I never heard of the raw food diet until I was 50 years old, that was 4 years ago. I'd say the majority of people don't know about the raw food diet yet, and many of the ones that have heard about it haven't let it sink in, it takes some concious effort, some motivating factor, some catalyst to have an effect on people.

The best thing so far that I can tell have been the celebrities that have been raw or tout it, that gets the word out to the masses, but even then many people can't conceive of the idea of an all raw food diet.

I remember doing a search (after stumbling on a website that mentiones raw foods) and what came up first was raw dog food sites..lots of those. My dog went raw first because I hadn't found a website that touted it for people until a month later and then it rang a bell in my head (then I found many websites about arw foods for people)..and when I read the info, it just seemed to make so much sense to me. I was ready to hear it, and incorporate it into my lifestyle.

Anything that brings the raw foods diet to the public's awareness is great..because the ones interested will pursue it and look for more info.

If people would just know it's ok to eat as much fresh fruits and veggies as they want would be a start. Why put a limit on those things? It leaves room for them to think they can add in the junk foods.

What we need is a raw food mobile that goes around the country promoting the concept of eating raw foods! That would be fun! How about a whole bunch of them! You could have the Banana Wagon, the Salad Van, the Watermelon Truck!

Love,
Prism

Posted by: dewey ()
Date: July 13, 2007 06:12PM

> What we need is a raw food mobile that goes around
> the country promoting the concept of eating raw
> foods! That would be fun! How about a whole bunch
> of them! You could have the Banana Wagon, the
> Salad Van, the Watermelon Truck!
>
> Love,
> Prism

i love it!! i`ll drive the blueberry!
patty

Posted by: rawfrancois ()
Date: July 13, 2007 11:42PM

I would drive the Papaya. smiling smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables