Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Raw Cereal bought in store
Posted by: plastic ()
Date: July 12, 2007 06:12PM

Is there any Raw cereal that you can buy in Health-food stores?

I go to Whole Foods.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Raw Cereal bought in store
Posted by: anaken ()
Date: July 13, 2007 12:20AM

IMHO

eating raw food is about eating fresh fruits and vegetables in proper combinations.

this allows for significant digestive rest

if you are constantly looking to replace your favorite cooked foods with 'unheated' foods you are missing the boat. in most cases cooked starch digests better then raw starch.

you can try sprouting grains or seeds to add to salad meals. if this is what you mean, I would order direct through the web, it will be cheaper and will be a greater garuntee for freshness. some folks probably have urls on this one.

If you are looking to start your day with a bowl of 'raw cereal', it would be the absolute worst thing, as if it was in a nut or fruit based milk, it would take pretty much all day to digest and disrupt pretty much any advantage of healthy eating

of course, just my opinons

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/13/2007 12:22AM by anaken.

Date: July 13, 2007 12:44AM

Yep, that is youre opinion, and of course youre entitled to it. All I really wanted to know was, where and if I could buy raw cereal.
I didn't ask how it was digested by the body or if it was the"worst thing" to do either.
So next time if you want to lecture and down someone for trying to stay raw by substituting favorite foods, then don't even bother anwsering my posts.
It's very rude.
Thanks for trying though.

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: July 13, 2007 01:40AM

Lydia's Organics has 3 raw cereal products:

Grainless Apple Cereal - 16 oz. pkg. - $8.15
Sprouted almonds, sprouted sunflower seeds, sprouted walnuts, sprouted flax, apples, figs, raisins

Raw Cinnamon Cereal - 16 oz. pkg. - $7.60
Sprouted buckwheat, sprouted sunflower seeds, sprouted quinoa, sprouted pumpkin seeds, sprouted almonds, cinnamon

Berry Good Cereal - 16 oz. pkg. - $8.35
Sprouted sunflower seeds, coconut, banana, sprouted flax, strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, agave nectar

Posted by: morrisson66 ()
Date: July 13, 2007 01:46AM

plastic.. to answer your question specifically yes you can.. whole foods probably aint gonna have it and you are probably going to have to do some research, as in step out of your whole foods comfort zone, and find out where things are. In Vancouver, BC there is a place called Drive Organics cuz it's on a street called "the Drive... they have raw cereal made in California.. there is a raw store there as well about half a block down...

here in Redmond, Wa, suburb of seattle, the redmond coop doesn't really have much in the way of raw packaged foods. You can get some though if you google it and find some places that supply. If I could remember I would tell you the brand I got.

You can also pretty darn easily make your own in the dehydrator and save a ton of $$ and such. But the stuff I've purchased while travelling is pretty darn yummy!

So just take some time and look for yourself. YOu may even be able to buy direct instead of through whole foods and save some $$... or if you find a distributor whole foods will gladly get some in and sell it to ya.

I hope this helps. Lemme know where you are and that may help.

Date: July 13, 2007 02:02AM

I examined my post, I don't agree with your interpretation

you asked is there any raw cereal. cereal has more than one meaning, so I gave a suggestion on how to eat cereals (grains) and my take on trying to replicate cereal.

If you think that eating raw cereal in almond milk with a banana is a great way to start the day, power to you. My point was, a better option would be some oranges or grapefruit, followed by some oatmeal (boiled with water)

I'll remember not to reply with helpful information

Posted by: khale ()
Date: July 13, 2007 10:38AM

Anaken wrote:

"If you think that eating raw cereal in almond milk with a banana is a great way to start the day, power to you. My point was, a better option would be some oranges or grapefruit, followed by some oatmeal (boiled with water)"

Why, anaken, would cooked oatmeal be a better option than a raw cereal of sprouted nuts and seeds in almond milk, with or without the banana?

khale

Date: July 13, 2007 12:26PM

Comfort zone?? Ok.

Date: July 13, 2007 12:30PM

Thank you Bryan for answering my Post in a simple and helpful way!
And Khale I AGREE WITH YOU. I might be a beginner at this, but I'm not a typical SAD-diet american that's trying to cross over into rawfoods.I'm from england live in the US and have been vegan for awhile.
So to suggest grapefruit and oranges for breakfast followed by Oatmeal with boiling water(???), is a little insulting then my suggestion of raw cereal.

Date: July 13, 2007 12:32PM

Hey Bryan,
Where do you buy this cereal? I live in SC

Date: July 13, 2007 12:35PM

anaken Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I examined my post, I don't agree with your
> interpretation
>
> you asked is there any raw cereal. cereal has more
> than one meaning, so I gave a suggestion on how to
> eat cereals (grains) and my take on trying to
> replicate cereal.

See, No. I asked where to buy Raw cereal. Not if there was any. I know I can make my own, but I don;t have the time. You didn't examine my post.

Posted by: khale ()
Date: July 13, 2007 01:09PM

plastic wrote:

"And Khale I AGREE WITH YOU"

Whoa...I'm only asking why anaken thinks the citrus and oatmeal breakfast superior to a raw sprouted cereal w/ almond milk and etc. I'm not taking sides here....yet. Having followed anakens' posts in the past I am confident that she has a reason for making this statement. I'm curious to know what it is.

khale

Date: July 13, 2007 03:20PM

i'm happy to hear you having been following a vegan diet. Although from what I hear YOU are the one that thinks this is superior. (so does not being American?) and that my suggestion is somehow 'talking down to you'.

vegans and vegetarians often have the most obstacles in adjusting to new concepts on raw. I can tell my parents "don't do this, this is the worst thing for you right now" and either they follow it, or they don't. they don't throw a defensive hissy fit about how healthy their diet is.

firstly to get over the arguing part. I can very well see that you looking for places to buy raw cereal. but what you wrote is "is there any raw cereal"

to answer your question, yes there are many ways to eat foods uncooked. In most cases things like beans, grains, and other starchy things, even starchy vegetables it is possible to eat them without cooking, although cooking them certainly makes them more palatable, and in some cases easier on the system. Eating starchy foods uncooked, especially in improper combinations is detrimental to the system. sprouting these starchy foods: broccoli, quinoia, buckwheat, i'm sure is a great practice, and when eaten in the proper combinations, say with a dinner salad, can probably go a long way in staying satisfied while not disrupting healing.

I have no interest in supporting people's goals to eat their favorite foods uncooked, or to eat 100% uncooked foods within their existing eating paradigm. I have an interest in having people examine how this existing paradigm is harmful to the whole concept of healing. If this doesn't vibe with you, fine.

oatmeal is a single starch, if you eat fruit prior to eating the starch on an empty stomach, the fruit should pass through the stomach fairly quickly and the starch can digest on its own. and thngs should be ok by lunch

mixing protein and starch happens to be the most harmful food combination, next to those that contain fruit of course.

so if you have almond milk, and then another mix of proteins and starches.confused smileyprouted buckwheat, sprouted sunflower seeds, sprouted quinoa, sprouted pumpkin seeds, sprouted almonds, cinnamon. everything you eat following that (especially fruit) turns to @#$%&.

even if these foods appear to digest ok (from comming from a SWD, most things do) doesn't mean its whats going on in the background. start your day eating ligther (fruits or vegetable juice) and eating your cereal in the evening, and then in a few months, switch back and see for yourself.

-------------
you can also try contacting the raw bakery, they make 16 grain museli that is 100% raw, as well as breads. they ship.

Posted by: Rawrrr! ()
Date: July 13, 2007 05:10PM

Sorry, Plastic, that your simple question was hijacked. I haven't read Anakens replies because they are too much work for me to read, for some reason.

Kookie Karma, is pretty hip, here in Cali. She has 2 yummy granolas.

Posted by: Rawrrr! ()
Date: July 13, 2007 05:11PM

Posted by: morrisson66 ()
Date: July 13, 2007 10:58PM

plastic... seriously, I know you said you want to buy them in the store, but google it and look for them online and try a few products that way or even try raw websites where you can get a lot of raw foods and try some. Then have Whole Foods carry the product you like. That's the best way to get what you want in this situation. You are then educating your purveyor to your needs. And try to not get angry at people here. Raw food breeds eccentricity and well meaning, so don't take offense.

Posted by: dewey ()
Date: July 13, 2007 11:16PM

morrisson66 Wrote:
. And try to
> not get angry at people here. Raw food breeds
> eccentricity and well meaning, so don't take
> offense.

JUST GREAT!! like i need ANOTHER excuse to be eccentric! LOL just kidding

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: July 14, 2007 01:25AM

My health food store has it. Check out [www.lydiasorganics.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables