Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

nut milk
Posted by: gadjoemi ()
Date: July 16, 2007 11:37AM

Hi there.

I have been wondering... The nuts you can buy at normal organic store... How can I find out that they are raw? If they are not raw (although they look like they haven't been fried or anything), is it still healthy to make nut milk out of nuts that are not for sure raw and drink it instead of soy milk.

I have got a big walnut tree in my garden and I still have tons of them left to use. I once tried using them to make a nut dipping for veggies. I soaked the nuts overnight and blended them with other ingredients. It turned out so sour or bitter that I hated it! Since then I am sort of away from walnuts. Has anyone make nut milk out of walnuts too??

I am these days only half raw (You can not call me a raw girl anymore) but thinking of getting more raw food into my diet. I love to look at the pictures of raw food and dessert but I have not made most of them. And my blender is too weak to make nut milk or any sort of nut cream to make delicious chocolate puddings.

Anyways, thanks for reading and I hope someone has an answer for my little raw question.

Raw greetings,
gadjoemi

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: nut milk
Posted by: mamadeb ()
Date: July 16, 2007 09:45PM

....at our health food store the nuts are kept in the fridge and labeled as Raw. You can also ask someone who works there.....I would think it would still be healthy to make nut milks out of them if they are not Raw but not covered in other things like sugar and etc., but I'm certain they won't be as healthy as if they were Raw!

I too have a big walnut tree in my yard. The nuts are beginning to fall now....and will thru the Fall. But then, after you squish the nut from the outer green fruit {nutshell will be black and kinda smelly}, you have to let them dry before taking the nut out. Usually sometime in the winter {Feb or so}, they will be good and dry to crack open and get the nut out. Then, you can make nut milk with the walnuts! I've never tried walnut milk...sounds interesting, but shouln't be sour I would think...........just my thoughts! Deb

Date: July 18, 2007 06:29AM

Thank you mamadeb!

I still have tons of walnut left to use up before the fall comes.
I will try to make walnut milk to see how it tastes! But, I don't have Vita-mix (I just have a normal pretty weak blender) so I am not sure if I can get any juice out of the nuts.

Thank you!
gadjoemi

Date: July 18, 2007 10:36PM

.....I think you can still try it in your blender....but add water and mix and then strain...I'm not sure the proportions of nuts to water....maybe find a nut milk recipe on this or another Raw site and substitute walnuts for the type of nuts in the recipe???? I still have walnuts from last winter too. Let us know how it turns out...anyone out there ever tried walnut milk???? You can always eat the walnuts raw....they have a fair amount of oil....I put them thru my Champion juicer and made walnut butter/paste...very yummy...you may be able to do this in your blender too...might have to add a little oil though to help it all blend up.........good luck! Let us know what happens! Deb

Date: July 19, 2007 09:39AM

Deb,

Hi there. Last night I cracked lots of walnuts open and soaked them in water overnight. This morning, I drained the water and put the nuts in the blender and add about 2 cups of water and blend it. Turned out that the walnut milk is delicious! I don't know, this is my very first nut milk so cashew nut or almond might taste better but I am very happy that I tried this out!

I just made a very simple glass of banana juice with the walnut milk. It was yummy and my God did it ever fulfilled my stomach! I am glad that I did't have any funny reaction to walnuts too (I had my stomach and bowl bloating and hurting once with sunflower seed paste).

The left over walnut, I made walnut paste with two or three table spoons of water, lime juice, miso, and some rice vineger. It is not so smooth but it tastes really nice so I am putting it into the zucchini ravioli.

Thanks again, Deb!
Your comment encouraged me to try out new things and now I feel like I can add more raw food to my diet!

Raw love
gadjoemi

Date: July 19, 2007 10:31PM

Gadjoemi, I'm so glad you tried it and it came out well! Now you have inspired me to go make some walnut milk! Your walnut paste tastes yummy! I love the combo of flavorings you added! Deb

Posted by: islandgirl ()
Date: July 19, 2007 10:48PM

The common nuts to water ratio for making nut milks is 1c nuts / 3 c water

Date: July 20, 2007 08:39AM

Deb,
Oh I forgot to write one more thing down for the nut paste. I put maple syrup just a hint and it did a wonder. Now this experience inspired me so I will try other nuts as well.

islandgirl,
Thank you for the input! I will remember that! I am also checking your 80-10-10 food diary. Good luck with it and you are truly inspiring!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables