Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Is this blender OK?...Repeating question ...
Posted by: siracusa ()
Date: July 22, 2007 02:44PM

I noticed the traffic on the "equipment" forum is very low. I was wondering if anyone here could help me with the question I addressed there:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have educated myself on what's out there regarding good blenders and I have started to think about the Vita-Mix 4500. It appears to be the most "modest" from the "Hot" blenders on the market right now - mainly because it has only 2 speeds and only 2HP.

The lowest price I found for it is already at the top limit of what I want to spend. In other words I am trying to get away with as little as possible while still getting a good blender that will do the job of providing good nutrition.

I read the stories about "breaking the cell walls" and my thinking is the following:

1. If this is absolutely crucial for good nutrition...and
2. If it is absolutely sure that the 2HP blenders WILL NOT DO THIS while the 3HP-s WILL ...

...perhaps 300$ for the Vita-Mix is still a lot of money and might as well get a really cheap, store-bought one, right?.

However, if the above "cell wall breaking" stories are a bit of a marketing ploy or something along those lines...or if people will agree that the Vita-Mix 4500 will still do a good job in terms of blending food the right way (including breaking those walls or ... whatever) - then I would like to go with that option because the others are just too expensive.

Besides, I am not attracted to the electronic/programmable buttons of the K-Tec/Blend-Tec. I am not a big fan of bells and whistles in appliances. I like the simple, durable types that have manual controls - no electronic hocus-pocuses.

Would Vita-mix 4500 still be a good choice or is it..."so last season!" in the rawfood world?

Thank you so much for your opinions!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Is this blender OK?...Repeating question ...
Posted by: life101 ()
Date: July 22, 2007 03:23PM

S, The Vita-Mix s/be okay. I prefer the K-Tec myself. These two are the most powerful and preferred among the Raw Foodist. Non-hi-speed blenders just don't have the capability to turn ice cubes into snow in a few seconds. The K-Tec won't heat up as quickly like the Vita-Mix to "heat" soups. However, heating one's soup by this method is bad on the motor.

If you want a cheaper manufacturer, I heard that the Oster works but doesn't have the range that the hi-speed blenders do.

Good luck!

Posted by: dewey ()
Date: July 22, 2007 03:39PM

>
> If you want a cheaper manufacturer, I heard that
> the Oster works but doesn't have the range that
> the hi-speed blenders do.

i have an osterizer 12 speed blender and it works beautiful. i make green smoothies in it and no chunks smiling smiley
patty

Posted by: Prism ()
Date: July 22, 2007 04:21PM

If you don't have a blender now, you might try purchasing a cheap one from the store. See how often you use it, what you like using it for, then later when you've answered some of those quesitons you may want to invest in a more expensive one.

Love,
Prism

Posted by: mjhednrik ()
Date: July 23, 2007 03:10PM

Check this..

vita-mix vs. k-tel

[www.newstarget.com]

cheers,

MH

Posted by: siracusa ()
Date: July 23, 2007 06:39PM

I have an older Oster - and it is absolutely horrible. It does nothing. You put whatever ingredients and they just sit there. It rotates in a void and the ingredients remain untouched. So no Oster for me.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables