Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Soy milk...
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: July 22, 2007 04:04PM

Hey guys,

I'm still in the process of transitioning from a healthy diet to a completely raw diet. I can't seem to get my calorie total high enough while still balancing my macro nutrients. I was wondering if soy milk was considered raw? If not, do any places sell pre-made, raw nut milk. If I find a source of non-dairy, raw "milk" then i can make a high calorie shake with raw oats and bananas.

Thanks for the help,

Adam

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Soy milk...
Posted by: khale ()
Date: July 22, 2007 05:45PM

soy milk is not raw.

but you can make several types of nut and seed milks from raw nuts and seeds in a jiffy if you have a decent blender. It's just a matter of blending nuts and/or seeds with water and straining out the pulp. Easy and delicious.

khale

Posted by: rawnoggin ()
Date: July 23, 2007 09:52AM

Hi Adam

Yeah, soy is off the list. As a transitional milk, try rice milk instead (a lot healthier), and then try swapping that for a nut milk.

There are a few recipses for instant nut milks on the net, where you make a nut milk using filtered water, nut butter and vanilla as opposed to doing it the hard way.

Good luck smiling smiley

Date: July 23, 2007 12:37PM

For health reasons I've taken my son off dairy and soy products and I put him on oat milk 4 days ago which I bought as a UHT product so definitely goes against all raw ideals. I'd also got a litre of rice milk for him to try (he's 6 so I wanted to find something he likes).

I found this site while searching for how to make oat milk myself.

It looks easy enough but is it important that home made milks like this are drunk straight away does anyone know?

Posted by: mamadeb ()
Date: July 23, 2007 10:02PM

.........I thought I saw a recipe for making soy milk which consisted of soaking soy beans and then blending with water and straining.......? If this is so, would it be Raw? {I'm not sure if you had to boil it all, which I would understand would make it not Raw, but if it is not boiled?}......? Thank you for any clarification! Deb

Date: July 24, 2007 10:16PM

Oh man, That's a shame, soy milk is shockingly delicious smiling smiley

Anyway, it's working for me right now as a transitional milk (I'll give rice a shot next time I'm in the store).

On a side note, I'm starting to find more higher calorie choices, and in turn, am progressing in my transition.

So far I'm off dairy for almost two weeks, and meat about a week. Don't miss either of the two. Still at about 50/50 cooked to raw.

Losing weight like expected (-3 lb) and some strength, unfortunately, but it comes with the new territory I suppose.

Also, Apparently fruit has incredible diuretic capabilities for me. I'm losing water like crazy, haha.

Hitting the caffeine again, due to my six hour biology class and long workout's with my buddies. Not going to cut it out cold turkey like I usually do, and instead just switch to green tea for the time being.

Anyway,

These forums have been a great reference for me so far, so thanks again!

Posted by: logan ()
Date: July 24, 2007 11:01PM

[chetday.com] this is just one of many articles about the harmful effects of non fermented soy products especially children.Google soy good or bad.

Posted by: islandgirl ()
Date: July 25, 2007 03:38PM

I have made soy "mush" as a base for smoothies by soaking soy beans overnight and then blending. I don't see why you couldn't make this into a "milk" by just adding more water.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables