Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Rookie needs some help
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: July 25, 2007 06:44AM

Hi. I am new and I want to become a raw foodist. I have spent days researching raw on the internet and ordered a few books, and I have to say it makes so much sense. It’s interesting what people say about it (if they have even heard about it) when they haven’t experienced it on their own. From what I read thus far how can someone not see why it’s the way to go?

Luckily, I suffer no ailments like many people I have read about. I have been a vegetarian for 11 years (I am 25 now), I run and exercise frequently and drink lots of water!!! But even with that, I still feel as if I could be healthier and more natural. Looking at how going raw has transformed so many, I want that. I also hope to break my love/hate relationship with food. I love food, but hate myself for eating it. As active as I am, I still carry extra weight. And I contribute that to what I eat. I would be lying if I said going raw had nothing to do with getting slimmer, but just the thought of all the toxins I have been putting in my body for so many years scares me.

With that said I have many newbie questions. A lot has to do with my current living situation. I live on a tropical island that lacks many things in general let alone what I will need to transition. There are no health food stores (Trader Joes, Whole Foods, etc) on the island and the only organic fruits and veggies here are what are locally grown (not a lot of selection). I also have a non-ordinary living situation. Because of my job, I live on a ship. To compare it to something . . . it is like dorm living. I do not have my own kitchen. I have a small refrigerator that I can use freely. But as far as elaborate recipes, I don’t think I will be able to make them. With that said, what advise do you veterans offer . . . And are there any websites that will ship out of the states? Although technically, where I live is a part of the US.

Where should I start?

Also going raw is going to hurt my social life. All the people (including me) that I work (and live) with drink for fun. Giving up drinking won’t be hard for me, but I think it will make things socially awkward for a while. I still get crap about being a vegetarian . . . as if that is something rare these days. Believe me, none of them would even think about going raw. So how do you deal with people that still eat SAD? I have looked for local people that are raw, but nothing on the internet.

Sorry about the novel, but I really think this is something that I have to do. I am just anxious about it because of where I am right now (and will be for about another 10 months). I hate to set up a goal that I can’t attain. Any suggestions?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rookie needs some help
Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: July 25, 2007 11:02AM

Tips:

1) Start SMALL. Don't overwhelm yourself with ideas....or the standards of a 'guru' or somebody else's standards. ONE STEP in front of where you are 100% comfortable right now.....is the way to go. Make a lifetime commitment to doing that.....and you'll get to your goals.

2) Be very honest with where you are 100% comfortable right now (say 10% raw). Make a lifetime commitment to increase this by 1-2% per week. Set VERY small goals (with timetables) and KEEP them. If you cannot keep your goals....set smaller goals until you have psychic/psychological traction.

-Is going raw going to hurt your social life? Not if YOU are bringing the hapiness to others! smiling smiley If you do not set good boundaries....and keep your eating, sex, religious, and private life private....then it that is YOUR issue - and not your friends and family. Always let them know that you are there to support THEM. You don't HAVE to eat when you go out socially - and don't HAVE to have the issue open for disucssion. Remember: YOU are doing the right thing. It is up to YOU to support and understand THEM.....not the other way around.

-The wonderful folks on this board will be able to offer all kinds of great advice and experience.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Re: Rookie needs some help
Posted by: dewey ()
Date: July 25, 2007 05:39PM

i`m a rookie too so i`ll offer what i can but i`m sure the vets will have much better advice smiling smiley since you`ve been a vegetarian for so long i think the switch/transition will be easier for you than a typical sad eater. i wasn`t vegetarian before this and my time is quite easy except for a few snags here and
there. now that i said that i will probably jinx myself LOL. anyways....just stock your little fridge with as much local produce you can. sprouting is also an option. as far as drinking goes, i`m sure they`ll razz you but just have a good time with it. you`re used to it anyways so it probably will be easy for you. drink something else or have an occasional glass of wine with them. i`d party right along with them in spirit and not suffer the hangover in the morning. good luck and keep us posted
patty

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables