Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

I would like to know the magnesium content of cocoa (cacao) nibs.
Posted by: Horsea ()
Date: October 06, 2008 07:24PM

Hi. Does anyone have the above information? I seem unable to find it on the internet, though I will admit I looked thru only about 100 results.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: I would like to know the magnesium content of cocoa (cacao) nibs.
Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: October 06, 2008 07:36PM

from the [thehealthylivingstore.net] site

Chocolate's high level of magnesium (131mg per 100 g)

of course this may or may not vary from product to product .. but a good idea i guess smiling smiley

btw .. the info was found on the 101st site ... if ya had just tried one more ... tongue sticking out smiley tongue sticking out smiley tongue sticking out smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/06/2008 07:37PM by Jgunn.

Date: October 07, 2008 12:21AM

Ah, Jodi, you are quite the little joker, aren't you?!? Thanks for your trouble. It is not clear to me if thehealthylivingstore.net is in N. America or in England. If it is in England, the postage on any orders would make it impossible to buy from them. Their nibs do sound very nice, tho. I am middle aged female & think I am magnesium deficient. Apparently, most of us women are!

Posted by: RawSun ()
Date: October 08, 2008 09:38PM

Hi Horsea,

It is important to have calcium at the same time as magnesium, to improve absorption of both. If you are looking to get magnesium from raw cacao, it's great flavor and improved absorption if you mix equal parts raw carob powder (high in calcium) with your raw cacao.

Sunflower
Raw Food Chef and Writer
Comfortably Raw
[www.comfortablyraw.com]

Date: October 09, 2008 03:58AM

Thank you for the good advice, RawSun. I did not know that carob was high in Ca.

A couple years ago somebody gave me a goodsized bag of those little nibs and boy, they were just right for me! Never enjoyed anything so much.

Posted by: cocoa_nibs ()
Date: October 09, 2008 07:37AM

Well, I should know (see my forum name).

Little did I know, when I started out and came to this forum. I was addicted to them, too. But I gave up nibs about 2 months ago. I started getting really sensitive to them and they kind of threw my balance. Greens for minerals for me.

Posted by: annex ()
Date: October 09, 2008 11:10PM

Hey Horsea,

It's interesting that you think you are magnesium deficient because that is one mineral I never have to worry about getting enough of! I've eaten 1300 calories today (at least so far) and I already have 283% of the US RDA of magnesium... apparently 900mg.

anne

Date: October 09, 2008 11:33PM

Well, I thought I consumed a lot of magnesium, also. However, I am middle aged and we are, for some reason, or so the experts say, highly needy of more magnesium than the average person. Just like vitamin E - at this age the needs skyrocket. Something to do with the glands.

900 mg is a lot of magnesium by today's standards, isn't it - may I ask what foods you ate to get those 1300 calories? Just curious - I am always interested in what people eat. I started out the day with carrot juice, but I guess there isn't much Mg in there. Dessert after supper will be carob - in this case, pudding, as advised above!

Date: October 10, 2008 01:34PM

Here's what i ate plus how many calories of each item. (It was too hard to copy the amount from the program i use, but you could figure it out using something like fitday.com, which is what i use) i basically had a spinach and banana smoothie for breakfast and then a huge salad which i ate throughout my workday.
Banana, raw210
Raisins108
Spinach, raw39
Brazil nuts28
Apple, raw215
Beets, raw18
Mung beans, mature seeds, raw180
Kale, raw67
Peppers, sweet, yellow, raw50
Parsley, raw22
Pear, raw96
Pumpkin and/or squash seeds, hulled, unroasted90
Seaweed, laver, raw5
Spinach, raw78
Sunflower seeds, hulled, unroasted98
Squash, zucchini, baby, raw1
Tomatoes, raw22
Mushrooms, raw4
Broccoli, raw15

Then according to fitday here's my nutrient intake. i know it is hard to read, but it goes vitamin, how much i got, unit of measurement, rda, %rda... sorry for the terrible formatting.
Vitamin A
mcg
Vitamin A
IU
--
--
Vitamin B6
mg
Vitamin B12
mcg

RDA
% RDA
Pant. Acid
mg
Phosphorus
mg
Potassium
mg
Riboflav
mg
Selenium
mcg
Sodium
mg
Thiamin
mg
Water
g
--
--
Zinc
mg

Calcium
mg
Cholesterol
mg
--
--
Copper
mg
Iron
mg
Magnesium
mg
Manganese
mg
Niacin
mg

Vitamin C
mg
Vitamin D
mcg
Vitamin D
IU
--
--
Vitamin E
mg
Vitamin E
IU
--
--

Date: October 11, 2008 12:16AM

I appreciate the trouble you took to list your food intake & nutrient breakdown; thank you very much. This seaweed laver - how do you prepare it to make it tasty? Is laver the same thing as nori?

Date: October 11, 2008 12:23AM

hey, no problem! i would love to see what other people eat too. the laver is just nori sushi sheets. i tear them up and put them in a salad. even before i went raw i was one of those weird people that would eat nori as plain sheets. gets in your teeth, but really tasty!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables