Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

ph of fruit? acid or alkaline?
Posted by: mrdc ()
Date: July 24, 2007 11:37PM

hi
i'm reading the ph miracle by robert o young and shelley redford young and
they state that fruit is acidic.
other sources say fruit is alkaline.
anyone feel like offering me their 2 cents please.
thanks
dave

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: ph of fruit? acid or alkaline?
Posted by: LikeItOrNot ()
Date: July 25, 2007 12:04AM

It's acidic but turns alkaline in your system which is why there is so much confusion. Lemons are one of the highest alkaline. Do some google searches for PH or Alkaline Charts and you'll find charts.

Date: July 25, 2007 03:24AM

thank you very much LikeItOrNot.

anyone else agree? disagree?

thanks
dc

Posted by: aquadecoco ()
Date: July 25, 2007 05:43AM

It's confusing to me too, but I think I may have some clues now.

If I eat something cooked, then eat something like tomatoes or lemons, I feel they're way too acidic. If I just eat raw, they feel fine to me unless I eat an enormous amount of them.
Obviously I react badly to the acid in these foods when my body is trying to deal with unhealthy foods in my system. It seems to be common knowledge that cooked food makes us too acidic, so I must be adding way too much acidity by eating tomatoes.
Don't know why the tomatoes don't make me more alkaline, as people say they do. But I find no end of reasons to stay on raw, this just being another.

Date: July 25, 2007 10:15PM

hey aquadecoco, maybe it's the seeds in the tomatoes?

Posted by: anaken ()
Date: July 26, 2007 03:25AM

I don't think they've ever officialy solved this...everyone seems to have an opinion of which fruits are acid and which are alkaline.

some say bananas and berries are acid forming

one thing to keep in mind which IS true is fruits that are 'acid fruits' are not acid forming...different thing entirely.

my guess is most are not great alkalizers nor are they overly acidic in any way that is harmful if eaten alone, without overeating, and on an empty stomach. the exception would probably be the cucumbers..peppers etc...which would be alkaline.

also..some have used the terms acid forming and mucus forming interchangably..its pretty counterintuitive I think that oranges would be mucus forming, i'd imagine.

some people do feel 'more balanced' with more greens/non sweets etc...not necc. an indicator...but certainly a harmless 'solution'.

Date: July 28, 2007 08:11PM

thanks anaken

Posted by: Prism ()
Date: July 28, 2007 09:13PM

It's confusing to me too, because much of the acid foods actually help to alkalize your body.

We are just naturally curious thinkers...sometimes overthinking things..I think.

Love,
Prism

Officially speaking: ph of fruit? acid or alkaline?
Posted by: jivana_vegan ()
Date: July 29, 2007 02:15AM

I think this is covered by David Wolfe in Sunfood Diet Success System - and Ehret goes into it in Mucusless Diet Healing System.

The crux of the matter is how the minerals turn out in the 'ash' -
what you have left when you literally 'burn' the fruit (or whatever) down.

PH is actually determined by the level of these various minerals in fruits and vegetables. It is not actually that our bodies make oranges alkaline - but rather their distinct combination of minerals balances (barely) on the alkaline side of the PH scale, thus they are what we deem "alkaline-forming".

I don't have the books in front of me to reference the scale that they are using to determine the PH, but I am sure it could be found with some due diligence.

ALL FRUIT IS ALKALINE FORMING
(when properly ripened!)

For the Love of Fruit!
~K

Try some of our delicious alkaline-forming Essene Treats!

[jivanavegan.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables