Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

the raw food detox diet
Posted by: dewey ()
Date: August 01, 2007 01:12AM

just started reading it and i love it smiling smiley
patty

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: the raw food detox diet
Posted by: islandgirl ()
Date: August 01, 2007 02:06AM

Dewey...glad you're back. I've missed you and wondered where you had gone to. Haven't heard about the book you've mentioned. Would love to hear any insights you gain. I'm glad you asked the question about detox as I've wondered the same thing. I'm not even sure I understand what happens when you have been eating raw and then eat something cooked..even something "good". Does this just slow down detox or stop it altogether or what?

Date: August 01, 2007 03:49AM

islandgirl Wrote:
. I'm not even sure I understand what happens
> when you have been eating raw and then eat
> something cooked..even something "good". Does
> this just slow down detox or stop it altogether or
> what?

i was surprised to read that this author is actually ok with some cooked food. i`m not that far into the book yet (12th year anniversary got in the way smiling smiley LOL) but she advises lightly steamed vegees sometimes and also whole wheat pasta. it`s a book about stages and transition and she seems to think that alot of people sabotage themselves by trying to be all raw too soon. i`ll fill ya in with what i learn as i go smiling smiley she says that things like no fat yogurt and milk and the like are big time sabotagers...more than once in awhile cooked foods. she says anything refined and processed are the biggest evils you can consume.
patty

Posted by: sewraw ()
Date: August 01, 2007 09:31AM

Natalia Rose has another book too called Raw Food Life Force Energy. She just came out with a third (can't remember the name) that appears to only be available on her website. I contacted her with a question and was surprised to get a response in a rather timely fashion (within 4 days I think).

As you mention Patty (aka dewey) she is very big on transitioning and not flipping 100% overnight. As she indicated to me via e-mail, doing so can cause an autointoxication as the body is trying to handle too much waste too fast. This can lead to feelings of lethargy, slowed down GI tract and a host of other symptoms. I am going on the assumption that a number of the "problems" I am having are due to this. I have actually had an increase in the number and amount of problems that going raw is suppose to cure.

From my own limited raw experience, I can state that eating some cooked food may or may not be an issue and it depends on what you eat and how much. I also check my morning urine pH and there is a direct correlation between a dive to acid when I ate something I should not have. I also found that eating something VERY non-raw sat in my stomach like a brick. I used the Seeds of Change pasta sauce that Rose suggests with zucchini pasta without issue. This is a great way to get the taste of spaghetti/pasta without the paste.

Again, Rose is all about the transition which is why she has cooked food in her book. One transition suggestion she gives (which you may already have read about Patty/dewey) is to eat all fruit until lunch, all raw until dinner and a "lite" cooked dinner. This might be a very good suggestion for someone starting out or someone who went all raw and is having some problems and might want to ease up a bit,

Patty/dewey I am glad to hear you like the book because this book is what set me on my way. I read her Life Force Energy one and love that too. I have not yet purchased that one yet. I am interested in her third.

Patty (aka sewraw)

Date: August 01, 2007 09:22PM

Dewey...thanks for sharing. I'm in grad school and currently working on a thesis so I can't really get into any more outside reading right now.

Last week, for instance, I felt really good and stayed 100% raw for 6 days straight (Mon. - Sat). Then on Sun. in addition to my "fruits"... I had a veggie burrito, a cheese quesadilla and some popcorn. I didn't feel bad, but I gained 1.6 lbs. The next day, Monday, I did really well until supper time when I fell victim to some spinach pasta made with artichoke flour and spirulina (not a bad choice I didn't think). But... for the past 3 days the aches and pains in my joints have returned and I'm still struggling to get the extra weight off from the weekend. I'm wondering if it was the flour tortilla or the cheese???

I guess, honestly, I just get a little tired of fruit and seem to want something salty or even crunchy. I don't really like veggies that much, but can tolerate them in a tortilla. I tell myself its not worth the pain and the weight gain, but then, too often I'm driven by my taste buds of desire.

Sorry for venting...this doesn't really have much to do with toxins...but I feel better sharing smiling smiley

Date: August 02, 2007 03:38AM

don`t be too hard on yourself. you stayed vegan!! and you got some vegees in smiling smiley i`m the same way, i eat cooked and gain weight..don`t ever apologize for venting smiling smiley
patty

Date: August 02, 2007 01:09PM

I think more than anything I just need some new recipes. I've got a couple of raw food cook books, but I've been lazy and just eating fruit most of the time because its easy. THen I get bored with fruit and want something cooked....going out ot eat is easy. Maybe its the summer heat, but I just need to do more experimenting and find some raw recipes I like. Thanks for letting me vent!

Date: August 02, 2007 01:15PM

Dewey...are you still shooting for 80/10/10 or have you relaxed that a bit? I haven't been posting there because I'm finding it very hard to stick to. Just wondering what you're doing and what kind of results your getting.

Date: August 02, 2007 01:56PM

i`m not shooting for 811. it`s too hard at this point to achieve for me. 1/2 an avocado, some nuts and i`m over the top. i`m not losing much weight. maybe that`s why. i eat alot of fruit and peppers and green smoothies and stuff like that. i`m high raw like you but i still succumb to the occasional pasta and hemp bread. day by day i guess
patty

Date: August 02, 2007 03:27PM

Yeah...I'm thinking the 811 is too hard for me too, but I still have 40 lbs to lose, so I'm trying to find a balance as well as a rhythm. PerBetty suggested that my only goal at this point should be staying raw and letting the rest go. I think that is good advice. I need to try something and stick to it to really see what the results are going to be. If I'm vascillating, its hard to judge the results. Right now the longest I've been 100% raw is 6 days, so maybe I'll start a new thread. I am somewhat of a competitive person yet I find encouragement and accountability when I'm not doing this alone. I don't personally know anyone who is raw, so this board contributes a lot to my journey. I think my biggest challenge is eating out, but I can overcome that with proper planning and finding a homemade salad dressing that I really like and can take with me. Afterall, every restaurant serves salad!

Posted by: perbetty ()
Date: August 02, 2007 04:01PM

Hey Islandgirl,

I have two ideas for quick, easy crunchy foods. Okay, maybe not quick, but totally easy and low effort.

SEASONED SUNFLOWER SEEDS

These were a must-have for me when I was transitioning. I ate them by the fistful.

Soak sunflower seeds overnight (or for at least 6 hours), drain and put into a bowl.

Mix in anything you have in your cupboard: sea salt, Nama Shoyu, chopped scallions, chili powder, cumin, seaweed, whatever, as long as there's plenty of salt.

Dehydrate 'till dry, then crunch away.

GRAPE NUT LOOK-ALIKES

Soak some brazil nuts in one bowl and some buckwheat groats in another.

The next day, rinse the buckwheat groats (just once, the slime isn't a big deal) and put them onto the mesh dehydrator trays. Dehydrate them for 4 hours or until dry, and they're all done.

Rinse the brazil nuts, blend with some water (the amount doesn't matter much) and strain for the best nut mylk (in my opinion)

Put it all together w/fruit and a sweetener for a great morning cereal (or let's face it, bedtime snack!)

These dehydrated groats can also go on salads or anything you need crunch for. Oh, and this is SO good:

GROATS AND CREAM

Soak cashews (not totally raw, but raw enough to transition), rinse and drain

Put them in a blender, cover with water, then add agave nectar, a few grains of salt and cinnamon. Blend, adding water if necessary, until a little fluffy.

Put some in a bowl with the groats. I also love to put fruit sauce in this:

FRUIT SAUCE

Put raspberries or any other soft fruit into a blender, add enough water to blend easily and agave nectar to taste. Add a little lemon juice if you have it. So good!

I'm like you. I eat one thing I like, then move on to the next thing when I'm sick of it. There's nothing wrong with that, just have faith that there WILL always be a next thing!

Betty

"Don't believe everything you think."

--Bumper Sticker

Date: August 02, 2007 05:46PM

THanks Betty...I soaked some sunflower seeds last week and refrigerated, but haven't used them yet. How long do you think they will last?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables