Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Kombucha
Posted by: lorddimples ()
Date: August 07, 2007 04:13PM

Does anyone here make Kombucha. Would you know a great source for purchasing Kombucha colony/mushroom/SCOBY?
Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Kombucha
Date: August 07, 2007 04:29PM

Follow up query:
I realize that Kombucha isn't raw per se: It's supposed to be made with white, refined sugar & with brewed black/green tea. I however recall some members here stating that they drink kombucha. Is there a Raw version of Kombucha?

Synergy makes this expensive bottled Kombucha & state on the bottle that it's raw.

Hmm? I have to look into that.

thanks

Date: August 07, 2007 05:12PM

And I called Synergy.

They say it's RAW.

Yet the tea for the Kombucha is brewed. There is no other special nonheated method that they use to brew their tea. They shouldn't state that it's Raw but whatever.

Also they use evaporated cane juice which is an interesting alternative to white sugar.

I found out that the acidity of Kombucha is 2.5 (very close to coca-cola)

Thanks

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: August 07, 2007 06:28PM

i suppose you could start with sun tea couldnt you .. tea bags/leaves set in the water set in the sun ... i drink sun tea all the time and dont consider Not-raw

by definition apparantly raw is things not heated to a certain degree ..i forget what the degrees are excatly ... anyone know?

not sure about the evaporated cane juice .. do they mean distilled? in that case its not raw either ... ?

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/07/2007 06:29PM by Jgunn.

Posted by: Funky Rob ()
Date: August 07, 2007 07:19PM

With fermented products like kombucha, miso and tamari, the word raw tends to have a secondary meaning - was the final product pasteurised or not as these kinds of products are often pasteurised.

Rob

--
Rob Hull - Funky Raw
My blog: [www.rawrob.com]

Posted by: frances ()
Date: August 07, 2007 08:16PM

I think kumbucha is raw in essence because it is full of vibrant life. It grows out of the life of the kombucha mother, and though it grows in a medium which is not living to begin with, the end product is alive. I'm not trying to claim this is the only way of looking at it, and as good as I find kombucha to be there are always other good fermented foods for anyone to use who doesn't feel comfortable with kombucha.

Posted by: inspirit ()
Date: August 07, 2007 11:31PM

Regarding the processed sugar, you don't consume it, Scoby does. She performs a miracle turns the bad sugar into life enriching drink for you.

inspirit - aka coolkarma

Date: August 08, 2007 02:40AM

Thanks for your feedback.

I've come to a similar conclusion regarding the 2ndary meaning of Kombucha being Raw - the enzymes, bacteria etc. I still won't call it Raw but do see the connection.

The sugar was a concern b4 realizing it's for the SCOBY to consume/convert not I. It's pretty amazing that this mushrooom thrives in a medium (white sugar/brewed caffeinated tea) that isn't the best for human consumption. Yet it converts it all to this drink with so much vitality. It's ironic actually.

I've read that using organic tea or a better quality sugar creates molds & ruins the Kombucha. I don't get it - it prefers it this way I guess.

My concern now is the level of acidity in Kombucha. Is this a similar concern for fermented foods in general? If so I'd still drink it but at a minimum.

And if you don't mind:
Where did you guys buy your SCOBY?

Posted by: rawnoggin ()
Date: August 08, 2007 06:24AM

Can anyone suggest a link to a site has has a very easy to follow guide on making Kombucha (with pics would be fab)?

I'd like to have a go at this, but because of the nature of it, I'm scared of screwing up and making myself ill! :-P

Date: August 08, 2007 02:10PM

Hey Rawnoggin

this site is Synergy's recommendation for a high Standard Kombucha. They also have a self-instruction online video on making it.

[www.laurelfarms.com]

I found this blog about Kombucha:

[kombuchatea.wordpress.com]

And then there's the you tube video submission: (it's also pretty good)

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: rawnoggin ()
Date: August 09, 2007 09:31AM

Thanks for the links lorddimples! :-)

Posted by: Prism ()
Date: August 09, 2007 02:18PM

You might like to read some info from this website. [wwww.happyherbalist.com]

Love,
Prism

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/09/2007 02:21PM by Prism.

Posted by: Prism ()
Date: August 09, 2007 02:19PM

opps..double post..sorry

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/09/2007 02:20PM by Prism.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables