Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Overeating and unmotivated to exercise
Posted by: Starglider ()
Date: July 30, 2007 01:32AM

I am only 3 months raw, so perhaps this is a symptom of detox, but I am having a hard time getting motivated to exercise. (I am 46 years old and not overweight.)

On the plus side, being raw has helped me become more in the moment, mellower, and less concerned about what others think of me. I feel much more strongly rooted in my own base if that makes sense.

On the downside, I am overeating on dehydrated nut-based crackers and chocolate mint Lara bars. (Overeating heavy foods was a pattern when I was cooked too.) I suspect I need to cut way back or give up the nuts...

Anyhoo, I have a feeling I would grow leaps and bounds if I could get back into my once strong yoga practice. Even keeping up with my once-strong daily walks would help.

I am pretty busy, being in grad school and working at a demanding job.

Does anyone have any inspiring words or ideas to help me get back into the exercise groove? Does anyone think this is detox?

Be well.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Overeating and unmotivated to exercise
Posted by: Prism ()
Date: July 30, 2007 01:41AM

Maybe you could look for an exercise buddy to do it with you. Try eating more fresh fruits, especially since it's summer the variety and ripeness of local fruits are staggering.

Anyhoo..I'm trying to find an exercise buddy myself, I post on craigslist.org for my area. I haven't found one yet though.

Love,
Prism

Date: July 30, 2007 02:34AM

Thank you, Prism. I too have looked for an exercise buddy but I haven't had any luck. I will try Craig's list - that's a great idea!

Love, light, and happiness right back at ya!

Date: July 30, 2007 02:55AM

Starglider Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I am only 3 months raw, so perhaps this is a
> symptom of detox, but I am having a hard time
> getting motivated to exercise. (I am 46 years old
> and not overweight.)
>
> On the plus side, being raw has helped me become
> more in the moment, mellower, and less concerned
> about what others think of me. I feel much more
> strongly rooted in my own base if that makes
> sense.
>
> On the downside, I am overeating on dehydrated
> nut-based crackers and chocolate mint Lara bars.
> (Overeating heavy foods was a pattern when I was
> cooked too.) I suspect I need to cut way back or
> give up the nuts...
>
> Anyhoo, I have a feeling I would grow leaps and
> bounds if I could get back into my once strong
> yoga practice. Even keeping up with my once-strong
> daily walks would help.
>
> I am pretty busy, being in grad school and working
> at a demanding job.
>
> Does anyone have any inspiring words or ideas to
> help me get back into the exercise groove? Does
> anyone think this is detox?
>
> Be well.

Get your butt up and pounding those streets!!!!

If you already know it's gonna help what you waiting on?????

Your body will thank you for it....ain't nutton to it but to do it!!!

F1

Posted by: perbetty ()
Date: July 30, 2007 04:04AM

It sounds like you you're used to being motivated to exercise. If that's the case, I agree with you that it could be the overeating.

First, the nuts and seeds: What kind are you eating? I quit snacking on almonds and sunflower seeds. They are just too easy to eat too much of because they're not high enough in fat. If I OD on almonds, I get sapped of energy. It's a lot harder to overeat with pecans and walnuts, so try going for those.

Also, focus on eating oils, because they'll stop you from overeating, too. If you're a chronic overeater like me, you're more likely to stop eating when you're a little sick of the food than when you're just full. Oil facilitates this. Pour a quarter cup of coconut oil on cut up fruits, then sprinkle some walnuts or sesame seeds on top. And be more generous than usual with unrefined sesame or olive on the salads. It'll fill you up and you won't want so much of the energy-sapping nuts/seeds.

Finally, the dehydrator is a killer for overeaters. You just can't stop eating foods that don't have any water in them. Leave some water in so your body can tell when to quit, or stop eating dehydrated foods altogether. I know it's hard because it's so good--I'm going through this now, so I really get that. I've been transitioning my son to 50% raw, so I have all this dehydrated stuff around. I can totally resist french fries and candy, but dehydrated crackers? Forget it.

Follow these three simple guidelines, and hopefully you'll be hitting the pavement again in no time. :-)

Posted by: islandgirl ()
Date: July 30, 2007 01:05PM

Hi Starglider,
I am 47 and also a grad student with a demanding life. I'm 2 months raw and have been an overeater in the past, so we're in about the same boat. I used to exercise with my dog, but now she's too old. I have a friend that I walk with, but she's not real reliable ...like this morning...its time to walk out the door and she just called to cancel sad smiley . Motivation is an interesting thing. For me, I have to make it a part of my day and plan for it, like an appointment, regardless of how I feel because I NEVER feel like exercising but I make myself do it. If I literally don't feel good, I just make the walk shorter, but I make myself do something 6 days a week and I take Sunday off. It sounds as though you are motivated and disciplined in the other areas of your life so you can do this too. Ultimately, you will only do what you want to do. I want to be healthy and I know exercise is an important element in that equation, so I exercise. I don't really enjoy it...never have, but I do it. I set my alarm and I get up. It's the first part of my day. Listening to some music you enjoy can really help...either something upbeat to get you moving, or even perhaps something for meditation. Personally, I use the time to pray. It really starts my day out right.

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: July 30, 2007 03:56PM

Opinion

YOU are just setting YOUR goals too high. Be HONEST. Set smaller goals...with timetables....and stick to them. Keep setting smaller and smaller goals until you find what YOU are truly MOTIVATED to do on a daily basis. Until you find that inner strength......nothing else will have a good lasting effect.

-What do you think?

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Thanks for the tips
Date: July 30, 2007 06:45PM

You guys are awesome!

PerBetty, I am especially going to try the pecans and walnuts as well as getting back to some oils. I had a feeling about that dehydrated food...it just recreates my issues with cooked in a different way.

About the exercise component, I should clarify that I had gotten unmotivated in the last few years as a cooked person too. I think I just feel so much more relaxed when raw that it seems like it will be REALLY hard to get back into it.
IslandGirl, I like your method of NEVER skipping and I will try to incorporate that - a lighter workout is better than none.

Thank you again!

Posted by: perbetty ()
Date: July 31, 2007 12:52AM

Honey, don't worry about the exercise. Just get out and walk for 20 or 30 minutes to lift your spirits and give your cells some oxgen. This isn't time to try to build muscle or do a lot of strenuous cardio. You're body is busy repairing. It needs tons of energy for this. I didn't feel like exercising every day until year three! Before that, I only felt like it sporatically. So relax, put your feet up and have another cracker. You've got plenty of time to become perfect, but now's the time to let your body eliminate (year 1) and build (year 2).

Just enjoy this process! (It's kind of like being pregnant, only w/out the stretch marks or vericose veins!)

Betty

"Don't believe everything you think."

--Bumper Sticker

Thanks all - perbetty & IslandGirl
Date: July 31, 2007 01:06AM

You are all blessing me with your input and I am so grateful. Perbetty and IslandGirl, you both sound like you really understand where I'm at.

IslandGirl, I realized later that I didn't mean to say NEVER skipping since you take Sunday off - but your concept of doing less if you are feeling like it - I like that since it still keeps the structure and habit-mold.

Perbetty, thank you for sharing your timeline - it helps to hear that others have made it through this!

Blessings to you all...

Posted by: howellbe ()
Date: August 12, 2007 10:35AM

I really hate to exercise, and its hard for me. what I do is crank up the music on my mp3 player and bike ride. its exercise, yes, but I like that if you pump hard for a few seconds you can coast and feel a breeze or cool rush hit you, even if its hot out. It's nice to go around 5 in the morning with it's just starting to get blue and light out. so nice.

wear your helmet though!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables