Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Do you have a dehydrator?
Posted by: Azure-Mermaid ()
Date: August 27, 2007 03:46PM

And if so, how often do you use it? Are you happy that you bought one?

I'm trying to decide whether or not I want to invest in one. I do still crave crackers and breads (though I'm not eating them!), and thought that making raw versions thru dehydrating would be a help, but ... these appliances aren't exactly inexpensive.

Your thoughts?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Do you have a dehydrator?
Posted by: selenes512 ()
Date: August 27, 2007 05:05PM

I have one, and I've used it twice. Each time it made about 2 handfuls of food. I spent $200 on it. I try not to really eat too many prepared foods though, I would rather just eat fresh, simple foods. Also, it takes a day or two to make anything in it, and I personally dont plan my meals that far ahead. I would rather I hadnt bought mine.

Posted by: morrisson66 ()
Date: August 27, 2007 05:26PM

yes I have a dehydrator.. I use it a couple of times a month... yes I like it. most people here I find are not into the whole recipe food prep thing much, which is ok. However I like to make things. My family and I like to make stuff for travelling a lot and to entertain friends when they come over for dinner at our place. No one can believe the food is raw... so it works well. I have both a 9 tray excalibur and a 5 tray one. I bought the 5 tray this summer while I was in Seattle and my 9 tray was packed away in Pennsylvania. I think it's a worthwhile investment if only for knowing you can do different stuff when you want to.

selenes512 perhaps you could sell yours to Azure-Mermaid

Posted by: pakd4fun ()
Date: August 27, 2007 05:59PM

Although I like mine and I use about 3 times a month I could certainly live without it. I have a 9 tray excalibur. I am happy I bought it.

Posted by: Dulset ()
Date: August 27, 2007 07:52PM

I use mine a few times a month, mostly to make dog treats using a zucchini base and adding some seeds/nuts and blueberries/carrots/apple, they love them.

I got some new cookbooks and so I ended up using it again this weekend. I usually omit salt altogether and some of the spices and can still get a good cracker, I like them when they're fresh and crisp out of the dehydrator. I prefer them made with seeds and lots of vegetables in the base.

Made some lemon macroons for a potluck once which turned out really good.

Date: August 28, 2007 02:31PM

Thanks so much for the input! I'm probably going to buy one, but will wait a bit before doing so. (I ordered a Saladacco yesterday instead ... I can handle the price of something like that much better! ;-))

Posted by: morrisson66 ()
Date: August 28, 2007 04:00PM

if you are in a city you can pick up a dehydrator off craigslist... that's what I did last summer in Seattle... I got one that was initially $175 for $125... so that was nice. I had to be patient but in the end I was glad I was

Posted by: applebaby ()
Date: August 28, 2007 05:17PM

i don't have one and do perfectly fine without. however i kind of wish i did have one! i would like to make some fruit/nut bars and things to take on the go. or flax bread. but on the other hand, juicy fresh foods just appeal to me much more so i'm in no rush to go out and buy one. eventually i will probably invest in a cheaper one though!

Date: August 28, 2007 09:11PM

Good point about Craigslist! I'll have to keep checking there to see if anything turns up.

Posted by: nannie11 ()
Date: August 29, 2007 03:09PM

I just received my new 9 shelf dehydrater with the timer from Excalibur. I

haven't done anything with it yet . I am trying to figure out where I can keep

it so I will use it. I know if it is not in full view or put away on a shelf I

will not use it but it is bigger then I expected it to be. Maybe I should have

gotten the 5 shelf? I need to go to Borders and get a really good book on

Dehydrating Foods. Any suggestions? I am really looking forward to making my

first dehydated food. I have Allis'a Book and am waiting for Nomi's DVD's So I

can make some of the redipes in their books.

Posted by: ferg ()
Date: August 29, 2007 05:13PM

I don't have one and not sure if I want one... I don't believe dehytrating food is all that healthy... bad for the teeth, causes bloating and inhibits weight loss. My brother has a dehydrator and brought some sweet potatos chips to a party of mine; which was good because while everyone else was eating greasy chips, it was a real treat to be able to eat the sweet potato chips. But I don't think it would be good to make a habit of it. Personally, I think having a bowl of air-popped popcorn w/coconut oil and sea salt would be a whole lot better health-wise than all that dehydrated stuff. But... if it helps you to stay raw than kudos... but does dyhydrating = healthy raw? No way.

Posted by: rawgosia ()
Date: August 30, 2007 02:46AM

I have one, an old one, with only two trays. I've been using it to dry soaked almonds. Sometimes I make raw pizza or some other stuff, when I feel like it. But I prefer juicy un-dehydrated stuff by far, mmmm.

RawGosia channel
RawGosia streams

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables