Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Ever think of starting a raw restaurant?
Posted by: jono ()
Date: September 09, 2007 04:06AM

Have you ever thought about opening a raw food restaurant?

I never did, but today at random a name popped into my head and it'd be the perfect name for a raw fast food joint, to rival the likes of McDs and BK. Wouldn't it be great if a raw food joint was on every corner instead of the crap we have today. Sorry, just felt like tossing my thoughts into the ether...

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Ever think of starting a raw restaurant?
Posted by: dewey ()
Date: September 09, 2007 04:10AM

go for it smiling smiley

Posted by: GypsyArdor ()
Date: September 09, 2007 11:48AM

I have thought about it quite a bit, but financially it's not an easy thing to do. :-P

I think if someone can afford to do it, they should go for it!

Love,

Gypsy

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: September 09, 2007 02:32PM

hey jono

i envision a raw joint on every corner ... drive through raw restaurants
etc.

instead of the "golden arches" of mickee dees, there will be the

big huge logo of ginormous oversized red apple with the letters JR in it

short for

"Jono's Raw"

in fact, i envision EVERY city in EVERY country having nothing BUT raw cafes and whatnot

people in thailand forgoing the "meat sticks" with sticks of mango

people in France serving up hors d'eouvres consisting of raw pesto and zuchiini

gourmet raw talent shows

prestigious chefs renowned all over the world for their superb nutritional knowledge as well as preparation abilities

as i type this now, i feel happy that it is slowly but surely going towards that trajectory

look at all the raw FESTIVALS that are happening

and the raw restaurants that are popping up in the US , Hawaii etc.

then again , just about every country DOES have raw fruits, veggies and nuts that are grown

one doesn't have to get fancy

one just has to eat them smiling smiley

raising up my parsley celery juice in honor of jono's dream

'clink clink"

like dewey sayz

" GO FOR IT!!!"

Date: September 09, 2007 03:23PM

la_veronique Wrote:
>
> raising up my parsley celery juice in honor of
> jono's dream
>
> 'clink clink"

i`m right there with ya friend smiling smiley cheers
patty

Posted by: noff ()
Date: September 10, 2007 01:42AM

here here, that's a beautiful sight

Since going raw I've dreamed about running a fruit and veg shack with a drive through that has a ton of gorgous raw foods that the customer can mix and match together and are then chopped right up on the spot and ready to go. Imagine...having a ripe mango cut up for you or a coconut or a fresh salad or a raw pie or...I'm drooling. That's one of the funnest jobs I can think of, if I had the money I'd start it up today.

Date: September 10, 2007 04:24AM

noff Wrote:
if I had the money
> I'd start it up today.

envision it and it can be yours smiling smiley
patty

Posted by: noff ()
Date: September 11, 2007 08:20AM

smiling smiley so true

I'm not putting down roots anywhere for a while, bit of a traveler, so maybe in the future I'll make it happen. It's a good daydream for the time being.

Anyone interested in starting a restaurant up right now? I'd love to see someone open a restaurant that is very affordable. It'd be supplied almost solely but local farms and have mostly simple dishes. More of a 'fast food' place and not a gormet place, it seems that all the raw places are gormet and expensive! Maybe once raw is more widely excepted, a place like that would be welcomed. yum.

Date: September 11, 2007 08:49AM

yes,

i envision noff cutting up some multi juicy mangos for me
and pouring some coconut milk over it
and topping it with a mint

but i probably won't "drive thru"

i would saunter through...

my crystal ball says " noff will become continually more vibrant as he envisions happy things"

oh yes, my crystal ball is usually correct

Posted by: rawnoggin ()
Date: September 11, 2007 02:11PM

Raw food restaurant! Yayyy! How much easier would that make life? grinning smiley

Imagine you're starving hungry and you haven't been raw long enough to get over any cravings, and right there in front of you is a place selling raw falafel, lasagne or courgetti with raw cake for dessert plus green smoothies and fresh coconut!!! There would be NO excuse for not staying raw!

Pre-raw I'd always dreamed of starting a vegan healthy fast food chain!

Imagine the health claims you could print on your leaflets? You could open up a few doors from a McDonalds and say stuff like "we know what goes into our food!" and "No growth hormones, moo cows or piggies in our burgers and no pig fat or pus in our (nut) mylk shakes!"

LOL, la-veronique! Saunter-thru! How about a cycle-thru? :-D

Posted by: pakd4fun ()
Date: September 11, 2007 02:46PM

LOL!!!

"No Blood Or Puss In Our Shakes!!!!"

I love that slogan!! Imagine the jingle.

That would totally raise some awareness and eyebrows.

Posted by: rawdev ()
Date: September 11, 2007 06:06PM

It would be nice but as someone already mentioned the cost and price would hinder the experience.
In fact, that's a major complaint (a complaint not from us raw-peeps but from the SAD or I should say the commoners) in the raw food cafes/restaurants I’ve been to (9 total) is the cost.
$15 dollars for a small salad or a raw burrito doesn't go well for the commoners'.

Heck, when I’m at the HFS people complain about the price of produce.

So, it would be nice but a risk…

Posted by: rawnoggin ()
Date: September 12, 2007 07:44AM

$15! That is kind of expensive for a burrito! But that said, a main course in most UK restaurants is about £9 ($18?). That's a cooked meal, not necessarily freshly made, probably not organic and might have been microwaved!

Maybe it would be easier to start off semi-raw and vegan, and anything that is cooked, make sure it's only very lightly cooked or steamed etc. That way, you could speak to your regulars to work out what raw food they would/wouldn't want to see on the menu and start working towards getting the menu 95-100% raw. For instance, you could offer 10 different 'main course' type raw salads, but offer visitors to have the option of adding some organic cooked beanburger pieces, wild rice or tofu to it. That way, you don't scare people off!

What I'd like to see- green smoothies, nut mylkshakes, raw cakes and puddings, raw lasagne, courgetti, garden burgers, burritos, pizza, fruit soups, raw falafel, mega salads, fresh tasty fruit combos, jicama fries, crepes.

I'd want to see the walls covered in information about raw food, leaflets about raw food, maybe even a radio or a tv playing raw food or eco stuff! I'd like to be able to turn up with a SAD friend and be able to find something on the menu they would definitely enjoy!

On the menu, I would want the ingredients for every meal listed, maybe even what vitamins it contained! Also, I'd like to be able to buy something for under £5 (what most people tend to spend on their lunch here in London).

What I wouldn't want to see- a million different types of juice and smoothies yet no range of decent meals! Also. I would rather pay £9 for a tasty, filling salad than risk £9 on some weird raw version of a shephards pie that tasted bland or revolting :-P

Oooh. That was fun writing all that! :-D

What would you guys like to have in your dream raw cafe or restaurant?

Posted by: jono ()
Date: September 12, 2007 08:33AM

rawnoggin, thos are great ideas.
i was thinking a sunburger joint would be good. if you could create a raw sunburger that tasted better than a bigmac and made people feel healthy instead of all gross, you would really have something. you could keep the "raw" part low key so maybe people will come in thinking its just a burger joint and then turn them on to raw foods by serving healthy and delicious foods at a good price. definately, nutmilks, smoothies, chocolate pie, salads, pizzas and things like that would be on the menu.

Posted by: aquadecoco ()
Date: September 12, 2007 03:20PM

Aside from cost, my biggest concern would be: how do you keep enough raw food fresh to feed an uncertain number of customers?

At home I minimize pre-paring my food, blend right before drinking etc, because foods start to compost very quickly once they're cut.

I've never been to a raw restaurant. How do they keep those dishes and desserts fresh?

Posted by: moxiegretl ()
Date: September 13, 2007 09:29PM

Too funny, my hubbie and I were just discussing this last night. I would simply want a HEALTHIER fast food restaurant or a fast casual with drive thru, with a simple menu divided into sections: Raw, Vegetarian, Vegan, and American - the American portion would consist of cooked foods, but healthier versions of the stuff we [used to] love, which would bring more people to the restaurant and help with those transitioning. So gluten free and/or whole grain pastas, etc.

Profit margins would be slim, I would think, unless a system could be created where a lot of the stuff would be grown on their own in season. Most normal restaurants get shipments of foods to include fresh produce daily or close to daily. (I'm in the industry), so I would think that would be the same for raw restaurants. Since you place orders every day or close to it, you'll be able to forecast your needs.

The next piece of equipment I want to get for our newly raw kitchen is a foodsaver/vacuum sealer. I've heard these are great for keeping produce and such a lot longer! I just picked up some of those Evert-fresh bags and am testing them out, but I really want to get a vacuum sealer. Perhaps the raw restaurants out there already use these?

Date: September 15, 2007 06:41PM

what I wanna know is how to sell my green juice on line

hmmmm... yep, it might get messy and spilt all over the place

i'll just go to jono's sunburger drive through instead

"i'll take it with an order of fries please" ( oh yeah, zucchini fries)

Posted by: minou33 ()
Date: September 15, 2007 10:23PM

I'm lucky. Here in NY there are a lot of raw places. Most of them are gourmet & expensive though an frequented by models an celebs. One just opened up not too long ago--outside of the city and is very down to earth and for the average person. It is like a deli where you can order your food and sit down to eat. They have a lending library, wireless internet, etc. and is 100% raw. They sell all sorts of exotic juices, pies, puddings, organic salads, raw dishes. They are doing very well.

I hear there are catering companies that do juices instead of alcohol...I think that is a great idea. I feel as if in this field you can't go wrong...everyone is starting to get on the health kick.

[minou-minou.blogspot.com]
myspace.com/summer33ny

Posted by: fruitgirl ()
Date: September 15, 2007 10:45PM

the food channel should def have an uncooking show

as soon as it does
i nominate LaVeronique to be the unCook

Posted by: aquadecoco ()
Date: September 15, 2007 10:54PM

fruitgirl Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> the food channel should def have an uncooking
> show
>
> as soon as it does
> i nominate LaVeronique to be the unCook

I've often thought I would hire her to do my PR for just about anything. If LaVero can't make it sound good, it must not be good.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables