Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Raw Food and Dental Health?
Posted by: strangeseraph ()
Date: September 20, 2007 04:49PM

I've just listened to a podcast about dental amalgams and their bad effect on the health. I did some more research and I've read that teeth can heal themselves if they are cared for with a proper high calcium/magnesium raw food diet.

Is this true? Can I really help my teeth without tons of fillings? Some people on forums have said their fillings fell out and their teeth regenerated. God, this would be a freaking dream come true for me.

I'm 25 and I've already had one tooth removed permanently, I've had two sets of wisdom teeth removed, and I don't want anymore teeth removed! By my front tooth is damaged and is turning weird colors and is probably going to die if I don't do something drastic. Since I'm just starting raw, maybe concentrating on the leafy foods that would help my teeth, a spinach salad a day?

What do you think about this? Any stories, first hand accounts of dental improvement? I really don't want to have dentures at fourty. .__.

-=- Jay -=-

Nature is a wild and unpredictable master, yet certainly wiser than man by far.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Raw Food and Dental Health?
Posted by: ErikSkulasonUSA ()
Date: September 20, 2007 06:27PM

I'm only "rawing" for about 6 months now, all I can tell you is this:

a) eating raw foods ONLY does not generate plaque (almost at all) - I noticed that I don't need to floss like before - maybe only after I chew seeds.

b) after I had a deep cleaning (tartar removed) my gumms started healing so nice, ther is no more bleeding - at all. Before to start raw, I could spit blood at any time (I was diagnosed with gingivitis).

I am sure that my health is improving with every day, once I adopted this healthier lifestyle.

Good luck!

Pls. excuse my English - foreigner.

=============================================================
Medicine, Food Industry and Commerce are businesses.
Is their goal to make/keep me healthy or to make more profit?
=============================================================

Posted by: pihourova ()
Date: September 20, 2007 07:11PM

well, as a dental hygienist, i can tell you, the best thing you can do is FLOSS and brush your teeth every day. prevention is key.

also, having your teeth cleaned by a good professional on a regular basis is very important.

its great if eatting raw food prevents calculus and plaque build up! i do not have any personal experience with this, but i can certainly believe it is possible.

Posted by: Arkay ()
Date: September 20, 2007 08:33PM

A couple of factors can come into play here:

(1) As soon as you get rid of refined sugars and fiber-free jink foods, and start eating raw vegetable-sourced foods with their natural antibiotics, the bacteria that cause tooth decay just can't multiply enough to cause cavities. As has been said, you just don't get that build-up of plaque on the teeth with a raw diet that you do with a cooked one.

(2) However, the cavities are caused by the acidic by-products of those bacteria: the acid eats away the enamel of your teeth, and then the softer dentin below it. If you are drinking apple cider vinegar (a strong acid) and eating a lot of citrus fruits (more acid), etc... your diet still may be sufficiently acidic to cause some tooth decay. However, this will be a much slower process than what comes from the bacteria. as they are constantly producing the acid, whereas the acid in foods gets neutralized within a short while, and there is no further "attack" until the next meal.

(3) Almost all commercial toothpastes contain glycerine. GLycerine does not dissolve easily, and it will "coat" your teeth and stay there for a relatively long time. This will block the surface of the teeth from picking up any of the calcium, etc...from your food needed to repair the surface. This is the major selling point used by the makers of "tooth soap" - it is glycerine free. You can also find and/or make toothpastes from things like baking soda (be careful! - it can be abrasive!) which are glycerine-free.

(4) Fillings may fall out for a variety of reasons. It is extremely unlikely --so much so that it borders on the impossible-- that they pop out due to healing processses. However, if a filling popped out and the person was eating a tooth-growth-supportive diet, the exposed tooth area could "repair" itself with a protective layer similar to the original enamel, but just a bit softer. It would require a diet that was extremely good, and completely free from the excess and refined sugars and simple (refined) carbs that the acid-producing bacteria favor.

Posted by: coconutcream ()
Date: September 21, 2007 02:16AM

I love my teeth. Eat better foods and drink juices. No soda sugar caffeine or any acids

Posted by: sunshine79 ()
Date: September 21, 2007 02:25AM

I love this website - it was created by a guy who had really bad teeth and his very simple solution that he found for cavities:

www.paradisenow.net/healing.html

I followed his advice and found relief for a painful cavity I had... I'll add to his advice, though - zeolite (natural cellular defense) worked even better.

Also if you eat very acid things like lemons, MAKE SURE to rinse your mouth with warm sea saltwater afterwards, otherwise that acid will eat away at your tooth enamel and cause problems.

Posted by: strangeseraph ()
Date: September 21, 2007 09:55AM

Whoo! Sunshine that link was awesome! Exactly what I needed! smiling smiley *gives you flowers and raw chocolate* Thanks bunches!! grinning smiley

-=- Jay -=-

Nature is a wild and unpredictable master, yet certainly wiser than man by far.

Posted by: ferg ()
Date: September 21, 2007 02:38PM

Hi Jay,

I don't know about the benefits of raw food and teeth but I do know a bit about
oil pulling... have you heard about it? Oil pulling is excellent for the teeth and gum issues, among other things. I've heard amazing things about it, including helping diseased and loosened teeth. Here is the website--take a look and let me know what you think.

[oilpulling.com]

I've only been doing it a few weeks now and already my teeth are whiter. I think it takes longer to notice other benefits tho; perhaps others on this board would testify on the benefits of oil pulling...

Posted by: applebaby ()
Date: September 21, 2007 04:51PM

i had terrible gingivitis for years and was at risk for periodontal disease or whatever it's called. i've been eating raw about 2 and a half months and i went to the dentist last week and they said my gums were doing sooo much better, hardly any bleeding, and were healing, and GUESS WHAT no cavities! they thought that i floss regularily. i don't floss at all! this is after only 2 and a half months.

so i am a believer in raw food and dental health.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables