Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Bad reaction
Date: September 24, 2007 06:40PM

I started a high raw food diet in June and then August I finally went a 100%. It has been over a month now on only raw foods and I love it!

My mother is worried sick about me eating this way, and even though I explained everything to her and emailing information, she sends me things to show that it's not true. She begged my ear off to take a B12 (this was before I read the information here in this message list). So I started taking vegan B12 supplements.

At this time I tried making my own tahini. Bought raw sesame seeds, dark bottled of sesame oil, and grinded up the sesame seeds that were NOT soaked. and added what was needed. It tasted so good, I ate a lot that day.

The very next day after the B12 and Tahini, my left side of my face and ear itched and burned. The next day I broke out on my left face and ear with pimples, and also on my stomach and right arm. As a few days went by, my face has gotten better and my arm and stomach slightly itch with pimples.

I did stop immediately with the B12 and tahini. But now I'm not sure which caused the reaction? I have never had tahini before, but I did put sesame seeds in my salad 2 months ago without a problem. Maybe the sesame oil?

Do you think it could of been the B12?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Bad reaction
Posted by: karennd ()
Date: September 24, 2007 07:21PM

The only way to find out for sure is to eliminate all three until you are all recovered and then add back in one, wait a few days, and try another.

But I have never heard of that reaction to a vegan B12 supplement. Maybe you are somewhat allergic to sesame seeds, but it could be dependent on the amount. You may have just eaten too much for you to tolerate.

Good luck on figuring it out and I hope everything clears up soon.

Posted by: aquadecoco ()
Date: September 25, 2007 04:25AM

My first thought was the oil ..... have you been using refined oil while 100% raw?

Apparently oils are often poor quality foods - made from rancid ingredients.

There could have been pesticide residues if the sesame seeds and oil weren't organic.

Posted by: rawnoggin ()
Date: September 25, 2007 08:28AM

Is the B12 supplement 100%? I've seen all kinds of things added to supplements- artificial sweeteners, animal products etc.

Date: September 25, 2007 03:28PM

Thank you for your replies, I stopped taking B12 which said 100% Vegan, and I threw away the sesame seeds & Sesame seed oil which were both organic. But I think I could do with out these for awhile until my rashes go away.

I will try tahini again when I'm healed. My sister suggested to leave it on my finger for awhile and see if I get a reaction from that.

My mother thinks it's the vitamin because all the stuff they add into it. Plus my grandmother had bad reactions from vitamins before and stopped taking all vitamins.

Posted by: aquadecoco ()
Date: September 25, 2007 03:49PM

I might be wrong about this, but I believe most if not all, vitamin supplements are artificial. I don't buy them anymore after reacting badly to the ones I was using.

If they're all synthetic, they're no use to my body.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables