Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Healing the Body (colon) with Fruit Fasting?
Posted by: Custom ()
Date: September 20, 2007 01:50PM

I've read many posts on here about healing through mono eating, water and fruit fasting. I need help talking to my dad about trying this to regain his health.

Last year he was diagnosed with prostrate cancer. He opted for the radiation seeds. Well, he is cancer free, but the radiation burned holes in his colon and they can't get the bleeding stopped. They've tried many different types of drugs, both orally and rectally and it still continues.

I feel at a loss... I don't want to just sit idly by and watch this go on knowing that eating raw would give his body a chance to heal itself. I am scared for him, and I guess for myself too.

I am convinced that if he were to do a fruit fast that he would have healing. But, how do I convince a meat and potato guy that this unconventional crazy sounding method is probably his only hope?

What I am asking from all of you is stories, case studies etc that can back up the claims. My dad is a bottom-line factual kind of person... You know needs the proof before he'll be convinced. I've not been raw long enough myself to stand as proof to him.

Any suggestions or books for him to read or websites to visit would be very helpful. Any personal stories of healing. As a side note he also had a cancerous polyp removed in his colon about 6 or 7 years ago. So, I do think he is killing himself by the way he is eating. But how does one convince a very traditional dyed in the wool SAD eater of this fact?

Custom

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Healing the Body (colon) with Fruit Fasting?
Posted by: kwan ()
Date: September 20, 2007 01:55PM

I'd recommend fasting.

Goggle 'prostate cancer + Bernard Jensen' to read a true inspiring story about nutrition author Bernard Jensen healing himself of stage four prostate cancer (I think if I recall it had gone into his bones) with a carrot juice fast.

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: coconutcream ()
Date: September 21, 2007 02:32AM

You should trust in yourself rather than seeking proof outside. If you believe something, go after it

Posted by: tanawana ()
Date: September 21, 2007 01:23PM

I have done this and yes the key is just trusting it and knowing yourself.
Easier said than done by most. Forget everything you have heard, even from the raw food guru's. It takes TIME and PATIENCE and being very diligent and finding out what works for the individual. EVERYONE IS DIFFERENT and REACTS DIFFERENTLY TO DIFFERENT FOODS. This is so true and must be understood I feel.

Fasting is the ultimate but DO NOT do this for more than 3 days unsupervised. You can and most likely will cause other problems if so. Also forget about all the fad juice, etc. fastings you hear about. To me that is not fasting in a true healing sense.

Fruit fasting doesn't make sense either. You eat fruit to nourish yourself so there is no fasting there. Fruit is the healthiest cleansing food you can eat though.

David Kline has a good starter book called healing colitis and crohns or something like that. Inexpensive and has some good guidelines for people unfamiliar with being 100% raw. That could be a start to get some basics.

Good luck

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: September 21, 2007 01:56PM

The problem is you really can't convince someone if they are not listening or interested. What changes people is if they are in enough pain, they will do anything (including change) to make the pain go away. It may be that the way your father is doing his life, with the SAD diet and western medicine, does not hurt enough for him to change. I understand your concern, but people are going to do what they want and feel safe doing.

Perhaps if your father observes your healing from your new lifestyle, that he might start to think that he can do the same for himself. Rather than focus your energies on your father, focus them on your own healing. If your father witnesses your transformation, and sees first hand how the raw lifestyle heals you, he might be more inclined to make the heavy sacrifices needed to change his lifestyle.

Posted by: fruitgirl ()
Date: September 21, 2007 02:41PM

you sound like a kindhearted guy. you could ask him if he's willing
to consider alternative approaches and if he responds positively, tell
him what you know. my dad had prostate cancer and i assumed
if he wanted to follow my lead that he would. my dad did not,
but yours may.

it would certainly seem a fast would give the colon a chance to heal.

one fact i DO know about cancer, it cannot survive in a high ozygen
environment. raw greens have alot of oxygen.

best of luck to you and your dad.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/21/2007 02:46PM by fruitgirl.

Posted by: kwan ()
Date: September 21, 2007 03:21PM

Don't worry about juice fasting-- it can be done for a long period of time, and a long, extended carrot juice fast is precisely how Bernard Jensen healed himself of late stage prostate cancer.

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Date: September 21, 2007 04:10PM

Thanks to all for the suggestions... I do think my dad might be open to a juice fast. I know he recently bought a silver bullet for juicing and has been having smoothies for breakfast... I realize I can't convince or make anyone want to do something differently.. It has to be their choice.. Often tho, if someone doesn't know there are other choices available.. they continue in the same vein, (i.e. SAD eating and taking lots of drugs advocated by their MD) hoping to get well.

and one last thing.. I know my name of "custom" lends itself to thinking something masculine in regards to my gender.. But I am female... Maybe I should add a signature to lessen the confusion on that note...

Thanks again for all your input and suggestions...

Custom AKA Elayne

Posted by: tropical ()
Date: September 21, 2007 05:35PM

My suggestions are to do colon cleansing things that can be done while a person is eating a regular diet like adding psyllium husks to his diet, and then, if he sees improvement he might do a fast, and by that time his body will have cleaned out a little and it won't be so hard to do (although I bet his doctors already have him on some kind of fiber supplement).

I would also have him drink the lemonade from the Master Cleanse diet, I drink it even when I'm not cleansing. The recipe for that is lemon or lime juice mixed with a sweetener like agave nectar or maple syrup. I keep this in a squirt bottle in the fridge and add a squirt to my water and then add the cayene pepper, because if you have the pepper sitting in the solution for too long it will get too hot.

Good Luck!

Posted by: tanawana ()
Date: September 21, 2007 06:19PM

I would suggest thinking VERY HARD before considering any type of cleanse though. They can cause serious harm. If I would have done any during my hard times it would have come closing to killing me. Even while stable I wouldn't touch that for no money. Maple Syrup, Honey, agave can bring about severe pain in some conditions.

Fiber can be anti-productive. Insoluble and soluble should be at minimum common knowledge or words.

Juicing can be tricky also. Some juices will actually increase irritation and discomfort in colon related problems. If juicing, go simple and stick with what agrees with him, not what someone thinks is right or what has worked for other conditions.

You are trying to heal, be gentle. So many things to learn. I feel so much for anyone who has these problems.

The object is to get the body in the best conditions for healing itself.

Posted by: karennd ()
Date: September 21, 2007 07:30PM

I agree to be very careful. I had a friend with IBS who made and drank some carrot juice and it gave her such awful gas she would never try it again.

So, if he is willing to try any juice - start with 1 oz and wait and see if he tolerates it okay.

Posted by: Mislu ()
Date: September 22, 2007 04:57AM

I carpool with someone who is currently getting treatment for prostate cancer. Hes taking herbs in conjunction with western medicine. Its in the early stage, his doctor said he could have waited for quite awhile before getting treatment. I just listened, and didn't say much. I only suggested essiac tea after he himself mentioned that he was taking some herbs. It turned out to be something quite similiar. But after knowing a little bit more about NH, I don't know what would be the best approach. Even though I don't know much about him, I pretty much figure hes probably not open to new things or alternative things. Hes very traditional or so I think, in a very conservative county in WA. state. I hate to say it, but months before he found out he had cancer, I noticed that he smells terrible, especially when he yawns or expells gas. Which is pretty bad, considering I wasn't doing raw at the time, and I usually don't smell much of anything unless I'm raw or close to it.

Posted by: fruitgirl ()
Date: September 22, 2007 03:12PM

custom,

please forgive me for assuming you were a guy. i dont
know how that happened, im sorry.

i guess if i had holes in my colon, i'd probably try water
fasting a few days, then introduce easy to digest fruits.

but i understand the complexities of trying to politely
inform another individual, esp being one's own parent.

fruitgirl

Date: September 25, 2007 01:56PM

Fruitgirl..

Hey no problem mistaking me for a guy.. I am on another chat site with this same name and often over the years have been thought be a guy. I guess I've gotten use to being mistaken for the male gender. People tell me they think of things like "Custom Cars" etc hence the easily mistaken gender ... As for me when I think of Custom I think of "Custom Made by God" Also years ago I had a housecleaning business. I called it "Custom Cleaning"

And thanks to all for your great advice... I know i need to tread lightly on this subject. But I do think my dad might be open to listening and trying some added things besides traditional western meds....

I live 1200 miles away, but they are coming out (both my parents) in about a week to help me move back to Washington. I've have lots of time to discuss such things with him...

Thanks again,,

Elayne

Posted by: pampam ()
Date: September 26, 2007 03:18AM

I am from Washington close to tacoma. Wheat grass juice is good for the colon. The Isiac tea is good also. I would think the juiceing to be good. In my opinion when people get sick there is a large amout of fear in life threaghtening dis eases. I thing the sick person needs others to aid in their wellness. Its hard to take that step and be our own doctor. We have gotton so far out of touch of listening to our bodies. I leave you with my prayers and thoughts of well being for your father.

Date: September 26, 2007 06:00PM

Pampam... Thank you for your kind words and prayers.. and yes I think there is a lot of fear there, which of course my father holds in... and I think we tend to rely way too much on Dr's sorta like Gods... Rather than to take our own healing into our own hands.. cuz often there is so much conflicting information out there even in the alternative arena, that where does a person start..

Being a daugther and my father's "child" I think sometimes it's also difficult to talk frank about such matters as health and fear and disease. But now is the time for me not to be shy or reserved in addressing some issues with my dad. Now is the time to be an adult and act in an adult role with my dad rather than coming at this from the perspective of a child... If you know what I mean

Elayne...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables