Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Any good raw foods to help heal heartburn?
Posted by: shep252 ()
Date: June 28, 2006 09:36PM

I have heartburn now and then. What foods help to heal acid reflux?

Also, are there any foods that really help heal siezure disorders? My husband has this disorder in his sleep, but takes anticonvulsives. He hasn't had a siezure in almost four years. He doesn't want to take the medicine anymore, but I'm afraid he may have a siezure like the last time he tried to get off. Is just a raw vegan diet going to help him, or is it some special raw foods?

Thanks! Everyone on here has been such a big help.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Any good raw foods to help heal heartburn?
Posted by: Ally ()
Date: June 29, 2006 09:11PM

For heartburn, you might consider getting checked for parasites/amoebas. I had heartburn for many years, and finally found out I had a rare amoeba. After taking the conventional medication, the amoeba went away; and finally, no more heartburn. Unfortunately, I waited to get checked until the amoeba almost killed me, because neither my doctor nor I could figure out why I was feeling so bad.

For the epilepsy, you might try googling "fasting, epilepsy". Fasting is a centuries - old cure for epilepsy, and there is a diet called the Ketogenic Diet developed by either the Mayo Clinic or Johns Hopkins that is supposed to mimic some of the effects of fasting. Also try "Epilepsy Action: The Ketogenic Diet", from the British Epilepsy Association.

Usually the ketogenic diet is used with children, so I don't know if it is effective with adults. Seems like it wouldn't hurt to give it a try, or maybe a vegan/fasting alternative using the same princple.

Best wishes, -Ally

Posted by: learningtofly ()
Date: June 29, 2006 09:36PM

You can prevent heartburn completey if you follow food-combining rules.

In my experience, fresh apples can help with heartburn once it's there.

Raw foods in general can help bring the body back into homeostasis and eliminate the need for most drugs. It would be wise to wean off any type of medication.

Posted by: Ally ()
Date: June 29, 2006 10:56PM

Dear Learningtofly,

Under normal conditions you're most probably right that a person can prevent heartburn by following food-combining rules. Certainly Shep should check into food-combining as a FIRST defense against heartburn.

In my case, with the amoeba, for the last months that I had it, I couldn't eat anything at all except fruit. So there was no question that I didn't have a food-combining problem. Yet during that time, even with nothing but fruit, I had serious heartburn. That's because unbeknownst to me smiling smiley I was constantly digesting little amoeba bodies as well.

So now, whenever I hear "heartburn", I think "amoebas". If anyone else has them, I just hope they don't have to go through what I went through, so I always say something.

Best wishes, -Ally

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/29/2006 10:57PM by Ally.

Posted by: sunshine79 ()
Date: June 30, 2006 08:45PM

There are 2 kinds of regular heartburn (the amoeba info above is new to me) - the kind when your body produces too much stomach acid, and the kind when your body produces too little stomach acid, and the cures will vary accordingly.

I had the too-little stomach acid kind, and used to get relief by eating lemons or limes or grapefruit when I felt it.

I can't remember what you do for the too-much acid type.

Now of course on a raw diet all stomach discomfort has thankfully disappeared from my life.

Good luck!

Posted by: khale ()
Date: June 30, 2006 09:26PM

For the too much acid type you strive for a more alkaline diet. That would consist primarily of vegetables and not so much fruit until the symptoms stop.
The tummy (or at least mine) likes raw soaked almonds and avacados. Carrot juice is great too.

Proper combining is important but even more important is to not overeat and to never eat while stressed or upset. Nine times out of ten the garden variety heartburn is a symptom of emotional stress which can make the whole system acidic.

I suffered from this too.

~K

Posted by: shep252 ()
Date: July 03, 2006 08:33PM

Yeah! All of the above! Thanks for the advice. I did experiment with some foods. A high vegetable diet is working for me as for the alkaline properties! I am so glad! Almonds have been good to me, also. Also, a little garlic for intestinal flora and a little apple cider vinegar. All of these things are agreeing with me. As for bananas and mangos and such, I am staying away from. You are right Ally, it is learning about food combos.

About the amoeba, I don't know if it is or not. I'm sure I have some kind of parasite, so I ordered Parasilin. It would be a good cleanse anyway.

Date: July 04, 2006 11:04PM

- mono meals
or, if not,
as simple meals as possible, & following food combining rules, that is...

- apple cider vinegar drink, = ACV 1tbsp+ cup of warm water + 1tbsp or raw honey mixed together, drink on empty stomach, 15minutes before meal, untill heart burn will go away

LOVE & BLESSINGS, Basia

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables