Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

sick or detox or...?
Posted by: Lee_123 ()
Date: October 12, 2007 06:36PM

For the past couple of days I have felt really tired. I couldn't really figure out why. I came home from work yesterday, took a shower and went straight to bed and slept through to this morning. Then, this morning, I went to work and had to leave. I felt really tired, had a headache, was cold but was sweating a lot. I have muscle aches. I guess some people would call it flu-like symptoms.

I came home and slept and now feel a little better but still have the headache and muscle aches and I am very tired.

I've been 90-100% raw most days for the past two and a half months, was back and forth with raw (at least 60% for several months before that).

Today, I have eaten is three bosc pears and some water. Since being at least 90%, usually 100... I have not had any cravings for cooked food. Those days that I have eaten a small amount of cooked food have been the result of sheer laziness not overwhelming cravings. I don't know if I am missing something nutritionally, am just wiped out from stress, am getting the flu, am detoxing, or what.

How do you know the difference between coming down with something (like the flu), detoxing... just exhausted from stress (a lot of it lately!) and whatever else?

I just want to feel better.

Lee

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: sick or detox or...?
Posted by: fresh ()
Date: October 12, 2007 06:47PM

Lee_123 Wrote:

hi lee,

i'll just say that flu and detoxing is the same thing to me.
so the thing i would do is not eat or eat a little if you feel the appetite, and rest as much as possible.
you want to feel better but your body has other ideas, but...
the body rules! our brain is nothing! ;-)

Posted by: Sapphire ()
Date: October 12, 2007 06:51PM

Regardless of the reason, it sounds to me like your body is telling you to rest. In my opinion, that would be very significant - best to do so if you can.

Whether it is detoxing or the flu, you will probably start to feel better in a few days, and if you spend your resting time thinking about it, you will probably be able to decide if stress is a problem for you. Not all stress is bad, but if changes are needed, this might be a good time to make some decisions.

Hope you feel better soon!

Sapphire

Posted by: frances ()
Date: October 12, 2007 06:55PM

This question has been bothering me for a while. Detox symptoms can be so varied in type and intensity, that how do you ever know whether your symptoms are detox? My feeling is that it's important to ask yourself what you would do in each case. A lot of the time the answer is the same.

For cold-like symptoms I usually try to get extra rest, drink fluids, and take care of myself. If the symptoms are detox I would do exactly the same thing. For more serious symptoms - the type one might normally got to a doctor about - it's more difficult. Personally, if I were feeling that badly from detox I would think I was detoxing too quickly and would have no problem doing something to slow detox. I would probably eat something like a large baked potato. If my problem were detox this should stop it and I'd recover quickly. If it were the flu it is unlikely to be cured by a baked potato, and I would take further steps.

Posted by: karennd ()
Date: October 12, 2007 07:01PM

Sounds like detox to me. But the flu and detox are really related, imo.

"Dr. Henry Bieler, author of Food Is Your Best Medicine, found that the primary cause of colds or the flu is a build up of toxins in the body. This build up or "toxemia" in turn depresses the immune system and in turn makes a person very vulnerable to viruses. Seen in this light the common cold is then primarily the result of a pre-existing toxic condition and the offending virus, which usually receives all of the blame, is simply the final catalytic factor. Put another way, the toxemia makes the bomb and the virus is the lighted fuse that sets it off."

Many of us carry around viruses that cause no symptoms. I have read articles that say a large percentage of people have the strep throat virus, but no symptoms. But your body will take advantage of a virus when it wants to detox, when it is healthy enough or in a desperate need to do so.

I know this isn't fun, but when you come out on the other end you will be the better for it. I think most people say to go with what your body asks for - more sleep, more fluids, eat only when when your body asks for it.

Just my 2 cents.

Date: October 12, 2007 07:03PM

I appreciate your responses. I used to think I was "in touch" with what was going on in my body, but I'm not so sure any more. I guess I will just hang in there and try to rest as much as possible. The thing that got me to post here is that I usually never miss work for being sick. I'm not the type to call in sick or leave work sick.

Whatever is going on, Sapphire, I think you are right. My body is telling me to slow down and rest.

Lee

Date: October 13, 2007 01:50PM

I'm so out of touch with myself. I was thinking of what Karen wrote above. It was kind of in the back of my mind... anyway...

I've been feeling nauseated for several days. I'm keeping it simple with food intake, just watered down fruit juice and fruits.

I was kind of freaked out a bit yesterday because I don't usually take time off from work. But I know that whatever I call this (detox, flu, whatever) that I need rest and just simple food.

Posted by: karennd ()
Date: October 14, 2007 06:26AM

Please keep us posted, Lee, on how you are doing!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables