Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Eating & mixing with your hands
Date: October 17, 2007 05:19PM

About two weeks ago I realized how much I love to touch my food. I don't know if anyone else feels this way, but I love eating my meals without forks & knives. I love to prepare my meals with my hands, mix it all up with my hands, even empty out my blender with my hands. Does this feeling overcome anyone else?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Eating & mixing with your hands
Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: October 17, 2007 06:27PM

i was not only overcome
but i was subsumed

next step:

sleep in my food ( yes... surrounded by lush plants and fruit)

is most restful

the fragrance of the fruit will be like aromatherapy

and the plants will sing to me

this is what they were born to do

sing

Posted by: GypsyArdor ()
Date: October 17, 2007 11:23PM

I've eaten a lot of Indian food and have always enjoyed eating it with my fingers. Raw food is great for eating with your fingers, too! I find myself using forks and spoons so much less these days (this goes for my husband, as well, who never ate with his fingers!).

My daughter ate with her fingers for so long (even when she was 7 and 8 years old) that my in-laws got upset about it. So, I taught her to respect some of what society believes and to eat with a fork when she's in a restaurant or her grandparents are visiting, to not upset others. Now she's 12 years old, however, and she's at that age where she wants to fit in a bit (ugh)--so she almost always uses a fork or spoon, now. I hope one day she'll go back to eating the more sensual way with her fingers. She's a lovely, unique being so I think she'll overcome this stage she's in and go back to being her natural self. ;-)

Love,

Gypsy

Posted by: Prism ()
Date: October 19, 2007 05:06AM

I love eating with my hands, and fingers..the texture of foods esp. fresh fruits of course! I will scoop every bit of the fresh guacamole I make with my fingers to finish off every last bit!

I was discussing with someone about the prep of foods, and that I believed that the person doing the prep while using their hands will leave some of their cells on the foods (how can they help it unless they are wearing gloves?) and if it's being done by a loving and caring mother, family member, friend, etc..it's a way of sharing part of oneself, not only thru the foods they nurture us with but by their giving of themselves on a personal level, and when we allow someone to do that very personal thing for us and we partake of the meal served, we are allowing that love and sharing into our lives literally..so that's how I feel emotionally about food prep. Better to be in a loving, homey place for sharing of foodsmiling smiley

Love,
Prism

Posted by: Pistachio ()
Date: October 19, 2007 11:14AM

deegarry@yahoo.com Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I don't know if anyone else feels
> this way, but I love eating my meals without forks
> & knives. I love to prepare my meals with my
> hands, mix it all up with my hands, even empty out
> my blender with my hands. Does this feeling
> overcome anyone else?

Maybe it's the subtle energy from the plants being transferred to your fingers and hand that you are unconsciously enjoying.

Wishing you vibrant health

Posted by: rawnoggin ()
Date: October 19, 2007 11:48AM

Yayyy! Eating with hands is the best! It's so instinctive- even with messy foods. There's something so clinical about knives and forks - "I wouldn't touch this food with my hands, but I would put it in my mouth".

It makes me think of that type of bear that uses a stick to collect ants to put straight in his mouth to stop them from biting him!

Human behaviour- what are we like, eh? ;-)

It's like when we've made dough (raw and non-raw)- how theraputic it is to knead the dough, touching it with your hands etc.

Love what you wrote, Prism!

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: October 19, 2007 05:27PM

Its great....but I'm a bit of germaphobe...ha! ha! (I always wash my hands tons of times throughout the day...and when I'm handling food....of course).

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: October 19, 2007 05:36PM

" the person doing the prep while using their hands will leave some of their cells on the foods"

oh. oh, icky. i'm trying to get into it but i can't. (is that still vegan, ha ha!)

i'm with you david, germaphobic. i love to eat with my hands but since my sister's like parasite experience i'm really careful with washing my hands and any/everything else that touches food!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/19/2007 05:37PM by coco.

Posted by: inspirit ()
Date: October 21, 2007 10:34PM

I listened to an Ayurveda lecture yesterday, and the speaker talked about the significance of touching the food. The fingers represent the five elements. When you pick up the food with the tips of the fingers, you bring together all of the elements. Also, the hands are used for measuring and seasoning.

inspirit - aka coolkarma

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: October 21, 2007 10:39PM

never eat anything spicy with your fingers when you have a papercut ..

it really hurts tongue sticking out smiley

Posted by: wrenbrrd ()
Date: October 21, 2007 11:24PM

What a great post! Thanks everyone! smiling smiley

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: October 22, 2007 04:48AM

oh my gosh, i was just telling my best friend about this phenomenon. i'm pretty new to raw foods (3 months) but lately i cannot stand to use utensils, even wooden chopsticks bother me. suddenly i want to eat everything with my hands.

making me even more socially unacceptable than i already am with my freaky diet! but i don't really care. having fun! but truly,i think anyone who witnessed me eating a great big salad entirely with my hands would be horrified. i know my mother would be...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables