Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Acne!
Posted by: Tzefira ()
Date: October 27, 2007 09:17PM

OK, so i've been 50/50 raw since March and within the last 2 wks i've gone 100% raw and plan on staying 100%, i feel better! So.... im 23 yrs old but i never really had acne, not since march my acne is steadly getting worst. I went to a natural doctor for a non related issue, turns out he was a raw vegan too, and he discoved i had low blood pressure, now he told me to stay away from sweet fruits and only eat "few fruits", no carrot juice, and to stay gluten free. I love fruit (dates, dried fig, raisins, honey, ect.) could these simple sugars be causing my acne. I also read somewhere that some raw foodist eat less fruit and alot more veggies and they feel great. I feel really good now, but i also feel as if i could be feeling alot better.
Any advise?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Acne!
Posted by: veggiel0ve ()
Date: October 27, 2007 09:36PM

i would highly reccommend staying away from fats. (avocados, oils, coconuts, nuts, seeds) I also would not eat dates, dried fruit, honey or any proccessed foods.
I can't give you too much advice about this topic, hopefully some others will be able to. My acne got worse on raw too, then I realized I was eating SOO much fat! I have been following 80/10/10 by Dr. Douglas GRaham and this seems to be helping, we will see how it goes.
BEST OF LUCK... i know it sucks. keep smilingggg

Posted by: ddreams76 ()
Date: October 27, 2007 09:55PM

hello. did the natural doctor say why you chould stay away from sweet fruits? does it have something to do with the low blood pressure? does it include regular sweet fruits (berries, peaches, plums etc?)

I am new to raw...only about 3 weeks. and I have seen an increase in acne and I never had acne before. I found i am getting little pimples on my chest...it sucks!

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: October 27, 2007 10:55PM

I don't believe that raw sweet fruits contribute to acne. The doctor probably got that idea from a speculative paper by Cordain (Mr. Paleo), which had some data that did not in the least bit implicate sweet fruit but only weakly suggested that a diet of unprocessed or minimally processed foods was probably better than SAD.

Personally I have trouble with more fat. An avocado per day = a new zit each day, which is distressing.

Posted by: Mama Cass ()
Date: October 27, 2007 11:22PM

hm,
avocados did give me acne. just avocados though, not olive oil. nuts and seeds make it worse too.

so it seems some fats do affect it.

and hormones.

i don't eat dates or other sweet fruits too much, lately, except in green juice (apples and carrots with a lot of green things).

and for the first time since i got preggers, my skin is great.

i have very low blood sugar and blood pressure. but i've never tied that in with the skin thing.

stress and fatigue and hormones and some fats are all what i've tied to my bad skin days/weeks/ months.

peace-

Date: October 27, 2007 11:32PM

The doctor said because of my low blood sugar when i eat even simple sugars it spikes my blood sugar up high, then i still come crashing down. I eat alot of olive oil and nuts and seed. I do thought eat alot of kale a week. yea about one avo a day too.... but if i do cut out alot of nuts and seeds then thats alot of raw recipes i wont be able to make.... I was eating handfulls of dates... mmm so good... but not so much anymore. The only reason the doctor told me to lessen the amount of fruit is for my blood sugar, but then I was wandering if fruit too would play a part in acne.
So if i was so lessen the amount of nuts and seeds I eat, would would be a good replacement, considering they are the main base in alot of dishes and not to mention a nice snack?

Posted by: Mama Cass ()
Date: October 27, 2007 11:39PM

i'm an super easy raw-fooder.
i do no prep, except to cut and toss together.

so lots of salads
green juices
hm, what else do i eat?

i'm not vegan, so i have other things that i cannot mention.

but the chief things in my diet are green juices and salads.

i've cut out dates recently, and added back in some nuts, but i've lost the taste for them.

waisays would tie the sugar and the acne together from the spike. so it's likely. i've cut out sugars lately, only because i'm trying to increase my nutrient intake without adding a lot of food (i hate feeling too full).

as for snacks,
i do eat apples and bananas, but fruits have been pretty bad around here. so veggies have been more appealing, and now i finally see why my skin is better.

peace-

Posted by: jono ()
Date: October 29, 2007 04:26AM

Tzefira, you could improve your glucose control by drinking green tea with every meal. Also, you may want to avoid too much fruit, at least the high fructose fruits like apples, pears and watermelon as high fructose intake is associated with insulin resistance. Consuming some protein and fat with each meal will also help control blood sugar. Also, daily exercise, plenty of sunshine and fresh air, reducing stress will all help.

Posted by: uma ()
Date: October 30, 2007 05:24AM

I had cystic acne for years and even for several years on raw (high fat, complex recipe, salt, spice, oil raw that is), it didn't clear up. Only when I went to a high fruit low fat diet following food combining, did it really make progress.

The people who tell you the fruit is the fault don't know about the effects of the interaction of fruit and fat when eaten together or even within several hours of each other. If you read Dough Graham's 80/10/10 Diet book he talks a lot about that--the misconception that sugar causes spikes/drops in blood sugar when it's really the fault of the fat. Most people don't want to take an honest look at that.

I did so much horrible combining of fruit and fat together all the time in my first raw attempts. And I wondered why my skin wasn't healing.

After reading your post about blood sugar and acne both, I think you might really dig Doug's book. It speaks to your situation. I have been where you are. If you are anything like me, if you insist on sticking to the high fat fancy recipe world of raw, you will either eventually quit raw altogether, or move towards a simpler diet if you want to see results.

What I found with my friends who could eat the high-fat complex combo-a-bombo raw diets for years and feel OK, is that they either weren't 100% raw, didn't stay 100% raw, or didn't have serious enough health concerns to feel the effects of their suboptimal diet.

I have made a lot of progress by playing with mono-eating, picking one fruit at a meal and eating all i want of it.

The nuts are definitely a main base in a lot of those raw recipes. Ouch, ouch ouch! I remember those days, so does my belly, so does my skin!!!

Love,
Uma

Posted by: uma ()
Date: October 30, 2007 05:27AM

And if you want to check out Doug's bulletin board, that could be helpful as well. He is really an expert about raw and blood sugar issues.

[www.vegsource.com]

Date: October 30, 2007 12:58PM

Thank you very much! im going to check out his book as soon as i can, im willing to do what i have to do, and stay 100% raw.
thank u again

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables