Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

80/10/10
Posted by: lotusblossom9 ()
Date: October 30, 2007 01:33PM

Hi everybody,
I went ahead and ordered the 80/10/10 book that has been recommended on this forum. It has gotten harder for me to digest my usual staples of sprouted beans,nuts, and recipes that are suppossed to taste like versions of SAD food. I'm in need of a change! I know that a lot of people on this forum follow this diet, and it seems like it works for them. I have been drawn towards eating more fruit lately so I'm looking forward to trying it.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 80/10/10
Posted by: TroySantos ()
Date: October 30, 2007 02:16PM

Well, have you started? It's really pretty easy to understand once you've got a few basics down.

I follow it for the most part myself. Lots of mono meals, lots of fruit. But I don't get nearly the amount of vegetables that Doug suggests. There are people, some of whom post on this board, who say that if vegetables aren't appealing, it's not a problem to not eat them. So I've been toying with this. Because I'm not so attracted to most vegetables. I like cucumbers though so eat them. And there are some vegetables that I like but not in the quantities that Doug says. And I don't know how long I could do this for before I can say that I've learned something one way or another. Fruits do seem to be low in many nutrients that are abundant in vegetables. (Nuts and seeds are a good source for many of these nutrients.) Anyway, I do like the idea of 80/10/10 so I stick to it for the most part. I'm not 100% raw though so that's a drawback.

Anyway, give it a good shot. Some people swear up and down that 80/10/10 is a recipe for health disaster while others say it's been the ticket for them. I haven't been doing it long enough to say with any certainty but I do feel that my health is than before, when I was eating pretty willy nilly.

This way is not compatible with Zen practice. This way IS Zen practice. - Dr. Doug Graham

Nothing whatsoever should be attached to. - Buddha

Posted by: Lee_123 ()
Date: October 30, 2007 02:31PM

Hi Troy,

Can you (or someone else) tell me why some people don't think 80/10/10 is good?

I'm not looking to start a flame war. I just want to learn as much as possible. I have not heard any down side to it. It seems to make a lot of sense to me.

Thanks.

Lee

Date: October 30, 2007 03:06PM

[www.rawfoodsupport.com]

Here is where they talked about it before

Date: October 30, 2007 03:23PM

Thanks. I followed a lot of the links there too.

Seems like half the people who say 8/1/1 isn't varied are fruitarians. Huh? And a lot of people just don't like Dough's personality. I have never seen or met him so I can't comment on that. Even if he delivers his message in a way that offends some people... well, <sigh> you know, some of us just don't always come across too well. I'm not opposed to listening to everyone and making up my own mind as to what is best for me. I wish people would just stick to the merits or problems with the approach he recommends rather than attack him personally. (I mean: If you think he has been harsh with people, don't be harsh yourself.)

I think there are a lot of nice people out there who don't know squat about nutrition. I met some at a meetup thing near where I live and the food that one of the very nicest people made was so fat laden and she was so fat... you get the idea. Really kind, obese person. Most people gobbled up what she brought and loved her demeanor. Nice lady but I was not one of those asking for her recipe.

If the people at McD's were nice to you, would people think the food was good for them?

I need to separate the message from the messenger.

I'm just into taking in as much information as I can and finding what works best for me.

Lee

Date: October 30, 2007 03:35PM

I have ordered this book finally because I have noticed that I'm not eating enough fruit. In fact if I eat an orange a day, that is good for me. I love veggies all day long. So I want to know about this book even though it may have some harsh reviews, I still want to know if it may work for ME.

Date: October 30, 2007 04:00PM

Here's my take on it, 80/10/10 is not rocket science, it's pretty much natures rule of thumb anyway, if you can get past all your addictions, eating at random and emotional attachments to food you will find that you will be eating according to your actual "needs" at any given time and fats would really not be high on your list at all, for me it all boils down to eating the way nature intended.

I hardly ever eat eat fats!

None of us really needs anybody to tell us how much we need to eat because our bodies/nature has been trying to do that all along we are just too busy with other foods to listen!

To me anything that advocates eating closer to natures plan is fine by me!

F1

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/30/2007 04:04PM by The Fruitarian One.

Posted by: tanawana ()
Date: October 30, 2007 04:01PM

Don't worry too much about the reviews, you never really know what drives people to say what they do and what their "true" experiences were, outside forces that influenced them or the person's background.

At any rate, the book should be considered in any raw foodists' collection at least. The concept is a major influence on "alot" of people and the information alone is valuable and with most things, take what you can from it.

Date: October 30, 2007 07:55PM

Agreed, it's a good book and a great resource for anybody!

F1

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: October 30, 2007 09:10PM

Hello Lee

I find that eating low fat certainly works for me. I ate low fat even when I was eating high raw (unconsciously for years, I only found out about the 'movement' last year). I definitely believe that fruit should provide the bulk of our energy needs. But it is good to do your own research so you are clear about your choices. I would always recommend 80 10 10, and Raw Secrets by Frederic Patenaude. www.RawScool.com is an excellent resource too, as is www.theskinnyonraw.com

And I just want to say that I met Dr Doug Graham and his wife, Dr Gruben-Graham last year at a raw food festival in the UK. They were both lovely. They walk their talk (and look great ) and that is the most you can ask of anyone. I believe they are at core truth-seekers and truth-tellers, and that is not always a welcome thing. I had no previous knowledge of any of the speakers or the raw scene. But they caught my attention as did Paul Nison.

Don't be put off by any scrapping in the 'community' keep an open mind and try whatever it is you want to test for at least 30 days to help get a better picture of what is happening in your body. At the end of the day it's your health and you are the one that will live with it. Different bodies have different thresholds for different things, it is a journey we keep adjusting and learning. There is always more truth.

I hope this helps.

Kind Regards

Jaynie
www.rawfoodlog.blogspot.com

Date: October 30, 2007 10:08PM

Thanks, everybody!

I really don't care if Doug is a jerk or not. Well, ok, I'd rather hear nice things about everybody. But, the bottom line for me is if the system works. I'm interested in the merits or problems that are associated with the actual system, not in examining the personality behind it.

Lee

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables