Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

seaweed contaminated?
Posted by: Lejla ()
Date: October 30, 2007 10:01PM

I read in Patenaude`s book about seaweeds:

"A danger in eating seaweed is the levels of contaminants, such as heavy metals, they may contain. Even the organic seaweeds that are tested for these contaminants may contain them in some quantity, even though they are guaranteed to be "safe" levels. For these reasons (...) I advise eating them sparingly.

I really like nori-sheets, I thought I can balance eating too much fruit with the mineral rich seaweed. I`d like to eat them more than `sparingly`. Unfortunately I don`t eat enough vegetables except green smoothies. Now I concerned about contamination, I don`t want heavy metals in my body.

What do you think about this?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: seaweed contaminated?
Posted by: Prism ()
Date: October 30, 2007 11:08PM

I've read this also, but if you like the Nori, I'd say eat them. You might try looking for an importer of quality seaweeds from Japan. I've heard they have some of the best seaweed bred free from toxins you can get. But aren't readily avail. other places. But it said, 'readily' avail. meaning they may be near you but you have to hunt for them.

I can't imagine eating too much Nori anyway..how much are you eating in a week? If it's 2-5 sheets then I'd say..fine, but if it's 2-3 sheets a day, maybe not so fine.
Heavy metals are in places you wouldn't dream of them being.

Love,
Prism

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: October 30, 2007 11:12PM

High sodium content should keep you from getting too much.

If you are eating a lot of raw f+v aside from sparing use of dehydrated sea veggies you should be able to detox the heavy metals.

Posted by: ddreams76 ()
Date: October 31, 2007 03:30AM

I dont know if this has anything to do with contaminated sea weed, but i ate a large quantity of sea weed (Raw-vegan sea weed pasta) throughout the day yesterday with , and I feel terrible today. started yesterday actually with severe gas problems...my belly is super bloated...looks like a pregnant belly. and it has not subsided. the gas has, but the bloated-ness has not. today I only drank lemon water all day (and a bit of coffee) in order to try and help the issue on hand. but nothing has helped so far and i still feel and look bloated and crappy. I dont know what has caused this but maybe it was sea weed. It was the first time i have ever eaten the stuff.

thoughts?

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: October 31, 2007 03:43AM

ddreams76,

What kind of sauce did you put on the pasta, and what were the ingredients used to make the sauce? It may be you are reacting to a bad combination of foods or too much fat.

Date: October 31, 2007 03:52AM

hello. its called RAW-SHEEDS sea weed pasta. ingrediants: seaweed, cashewnut, sea salt, green onion, herbs, spices.

thats the ingredients on the package. there is no sauce. its just seaweed with a pasta like texture. it is 35 calories, 10g fat, 145mg sodium, 10g carbs, 6g fiber, 3g protein.

what do you think?

Date: October 31, 2007 04:03AM

I think it was the cashews. 10 grams of fat is 90 calories, 10 grams of carb is 40 calories, and 3 grams or protein is 12 calories, for a total of 142 calories, of which 90 calories were fat. This make that meal 63% fat, which is pretty high fat.

But it could be that your body doesn't like that seaweed pasta.

Date: October 31, 2007 04:19AM

thanks bryan. i wonder why it says 35 calories on the carton if its really 142 calories??? (one serving=one carton)

maybe it was the fat. makes sense i guess. but is such a reaction normal? i mean i basically look like i gained 10 pounds overnight from the reaction i am having. the bloating is seriously bad. how long do you think this will last for? and is water retention part of such a reaction..cause like i said i have drank lemon water all day (and a bit of coffee and gum) and thats it all day...lots and lots of water..and dont feel like i have really gone to the bathroom much and i usually do frequent the bathroom with the amounts of water i drink.

you are so knowledgable. i hope one day to know 1/2 of what you know about nutrition.

thanks again!

d

Date: October 31, 2007 04:40AM

ddreams,

This should pass in a day or so. Did that meal make you thirsty? Perhaps some of the water bloating has to do with salt in the food. Whenever I go to a raw restaurant, my face looks puffy the next day from the salt and spices in the foods.

Also, cashews are notorious for not really being raw. So you may have been eating steamed cashews.

You might try making your own seaweed pasta. The local health food store sells the Sea Tangle Kelp Noodles. You can make your own sauce with ingredient that digest well for you.

Date: October 31, 2007 04:42AM

thanks so much for your help/advice!!!

Posted by: Lejla ()
Date: October 31, 2007 03:49PM

Thank you for the answers. I`ll keep eating seaweeds and hoping the best.

Posted by: Prism ()
Date: October 31, 2007 07:04PM

I think it could be digestion, and bad bacteria causing the bloat and gas. Try cleaning those things up in the next few days with your own remedies that have worked in the past, or take some strong pro-biotics, some extra digestive help like papaya, pineapple, etc., and do an enema or 2, and maybe try some magnesium oxide and vitamin c in the evening..it's like a bowel/liver flush.

Love,
Prism

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables