Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

two questions from a neophyte
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: November 03, 2007 03:37AM

Hello, all!

I've been lurking for a week or two, but this is my first post. I'm not sure if it really belongs on this forum or on the 'recipes and preparation' one, so please forgive me if step on any organizational toes!

Question 1:

Does anyone have any reliable information about the nutritional content of a strained nutmilk?

Obviously, with the quantity of gook left over in the bag, some of the nutrition has to be still in the pulp and not in the milk. The only info I've been able to get by googling seems to rely on nutritional information from commercial non-raw brands such as Almond Breeze. But their method of preparation is probably pretty different from the blend-and-squeeze I've been doing, and furthermore they add vitamins into the product.

I'm especially interested in knowing about the calcium and caloric content. Any clues?

Question 2:

I'm realizing that, the higher the percentage of raw food I eat in a day, the more I seem to overeat on concentrated sweet foods (honey, dried fruit) or fats (nuts, seeds, etc), or just eat in general when I'm not actually very hungry. This kind of compulsive eating isn't a problem for me when eating more cooked food, and I'm wondering if the problem might be the sudden drop in the amount of protein I'm getting, and/or the shift in nutrients (tons more vitamin C, not so much calcium, etc). Anyone have a problem like this at the beginning of eating more raw foods?

Thanks so much for any help you can give! I'm having a great time digging through the archives -- this board is a lot of fun to read.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: two questions from a neophyte
Posted by: arugula ()
Date: November 03, 2007 12:31PM

1. You'd have to get a scale and weight the nuts you used before and the pulp after. Then do a nutrient analysis using the weight difference as your quantity. You can use nutritiondata.com or the cron-o-meter at spaz.com (which also requires java, free download at java.com).

2. Some people find it easier to transition gradually elminiating some foods while gradually increasing others. Your body can adjust to both higher and lower protein intakes, etc. There are advantages to methionine restriction (lower intake of sulfur amino acids) but you still need "enough."

PS I tried Almond Breeze once and it was horrible.

Options: ReplyQuote

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables