Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Which cooked foods would you eat?
Posted by: RawsomeButterfly ()
Date: November 25, 2007 03:04AM

Are there any cooked foods you make exception for? I have a few. I'll eat cooked brown rice, vegetable soup, agave (seems I read more and more that it's not really raw), steamed veggies and occassionally maple syrup. I plan on doing the master cleanse pretty soon. I don't eat cooked foods often, usually only once or twice a week.

What about you?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Which cooked foods would you eat?
Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: November 25, 2007 05:00AM

No....no cooked foods. I personally don't consider them optimal. If you were looking for healthier alternatives.....look for lightly steamed or boiled produce......of the same high-nutrient quality you would eat raw....like dark leafy greens.....and cruciferous...or colorful vegetables. Either way...the important thing is that you are meeting YOUR goals. Strength and success to you.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: pineapple girl ()
Date: November 25, 2007 05:20AM

i find that i cannot digest raw broccoli or raw spinach.

i crave the flavor of broccoli so much. so i will eat steamed broccoli, i consider a treat more that a super health food, because i steam it soft enough so i can digest it.

Posted by: LikeItOrNot ()
Date: November 25, 2007 08:58AM

I would eat slightly cooked veggie soup if I felt like making it.
I've considered eating cooked quinoa or millet because it's supposedly still "alkaline forming".

I've found that anything cooked gives me nausea when I'm 100% raw though. Anytime I've tried eating something as simple as oatmeal..I could barely swallow the first spoonful. It's like my stomach and throat were instantly rejecting it. Same happened with slightly steamed broccoli. I like the steamed taste but my mouth sure didn't.

I'll cheat with the maple syrup sometimes. Sometimes I drink the MC "Lemonade" even without doing a fast.

Posted by: blue_sky ()
Date: November 25, 2007 11:01AM

If I were to eat 100% cooked foods, I hope that I can eat nothing but wholemeal foods, e.g. wholemeal bread, wholemeal noodles and wholemeal bun.

I'm sorry if it sounds like a stupid answer in this forum, even under this topic. I've no single scientific proof to back up my answer but yes, that's what I'd do. On the other hand, if I were to start 100% raw food diet, it would be just watermelons alone 'cause for me I feel best eating nothing but watermelons on raw food diet. smiling smiley

All the Best,
Wong

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: November 25, 2007 11:24AM

Sweet potato is good, better than any other cooked starch.

Llghtly steamed crucifers are good: broccoli, cabbage, collards, mustards, turnip greens, bok choi, brussels sprouts, etc.

Brown rice, whole wheat, quinoa, regular potato, and oat groats are ok. Not as good as steamed vegs or sweet potato.

Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: November 25, 2007 06:53PM

Cooked fruits, like unsweetened applesauce, would probably be OK, although that's not something I miss.

Sometimes I do miss the steamed nonstarchy veggies.

I was really thinking about steamed green beans for a while, but when I cooked them for my husband for Thanksgiving, for some reason they didn't look appetizing at all (yay!).

I used to also miss sweet potato. Of the starchy veggies, I agree with Arugula, sweet potato would be best, and maybe taro.

Any kind of cooked grain or legume, even whole and organic, would just about kill me.

smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/25/2007 06:54PM by suncloud.

Posted by: roxeli ()
Date: November 26, 2007 12:18AM

I will eat brown rice, cooked quinoa, and I'll have a slice of whole wheat bread when my daughter makes it.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: November 26, 2007 01:39AM

i ate broccoli rabe (aka rapini) today. i don't like it raw but i crave it's bitterness.

Posted by: coconutcream ()
Date: November 26, 2007 01:51AM

the bad idea police is calling on you!!!

smiling smiley with love suvine

Posted by: GypsyArdor ()
Date: November 27, 2007 10:45PM

The last thing that I crave is cooked beans (as in pintos, kidneys, turltes, etc.). I'm not going to eat them, of course, but those are the only things left that I sometimes miss.

Posted by: uma ()
Date: November 28, 2007 02:33AM

In my experience cooked winter squash felt similar to sweet potato. Nice & starchy but pretty gentle. Also one of the perks of eating some steamed veggies: Artichokes! That's what I would eat if I went back to some steamed veggies. And I did love quinoa.

I used to love baked sweet potato/baked squash, but ever since i learned about those lovely acrylimides (sp?), baked goods don't sound as appealing. i would probably try to stick to steaming/boiling.

I have gone back and forth from raw to cooked several times, and the last few times what I really noticed when reintroducing cooked was that I felt my lymphatic system acting up. Like my body was really fighting something. So when I get the craving for some cooked, I try to remember that feeling.

Love,
Uma

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: November 28, 2007 05:13PM

acrylimides are only in white potatoes i thought?

Posted by: shane ()
Date: November 29, 2007 03:21AM

Indian food. Sigh. I sure do miss it.

Date: November 29, 2007 12:37PM

Ha,ha,ha this probably ain't the best tread to have on a raw food forum....

Be good

F1

Posted by: rawdanceruk ()
Date: November 29, 2007 01:48PM

shouldnt this be...

what raw foods you cant wait to eat....

or what cooked foods are you thankfull you will never eat again!!

I am an all or nothing person, being 100% has been the best thing in my life-- and made a massive difference from 90%

so in answer to that.. I wouldnt eat any, because there is a spectrum of raw wonderful living vibrant foods at my feet.. anything else would be inferior!

I have been introducing the no grains theory to my family as the paper mache theory-- you wouldnt eat paper mache..so why eat bread three times a day? you mix flour and water and make paper mache as a kid.....it makes glu.. which is fun for craft...yet you wouldnt let your kid eat it.. makes perfect sense...anyway totally off thread!!

sending you good energy...

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Raw since March 2007

http://rawveganlondoner.blogspot.com/

Date: November 29, 2007 01:51PM

rawdanceruk said:
so in answer to that.. I wouldnt eat any, because there is a spectrum of raw wonderful living vibrant foods at my feet.. anything else would be inferior!

Totally agree, perfectly said!

Dee

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: November 29, 2007 11:59PM

Acrylamide formation depends on high temp. cooking, there essentially none when foods are steamed or boiled (100 degrees C). This is from MacDougall:

[www.drmcdougall.com]

Rapid heating to high temperatures of an amino acid, asparagine (found in all foods) in combination with the common sugars (found in plant-foods), results in the formation of acrylamide.2 Cooking temperatures above 185 degrees centigrade (365 degrees Fahrenheit) readily produce this unwanted substance.2,3 Most importantly, acrylamide cannot be detected in unheated and boiled foods, because the minimal temperature to cause this conversion is 120 degrees centigrade.2,3 (Boiling takes place at 100° C, 212° F).

The whole article is a good read. He makes a good case for switching to tea from coffee, too.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables