Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Overt Fats?
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: December 01, 2007 05:26PM

I am a fruitarian, and lately I have been hearing a lot about overt fats and how you should not eat much of them. I know the 80/10/10 diet is popular right now and that is what the book promotes. I have not read the book, but I eat about 2 avocado's a day. Sometimes more, sometimes none for a couple of days. Am I ruining my efforts of eating healthy by eating avocado's?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Overt Fats?
Posted by: Lillianswan ()
Date: December 01, 2007 05:46PM

Everyone needs different nutrients, if you are feeling like eating a lot of fat then maybe you need it for some healing you are doing.

In a related question, I'd like to know what are the signs that people on 80/10/10 diet look for telling them that the body is getting too much or too little fat.

I'm thinking of signs like: pimples in certain places meaning certain things,or the way the toungue looks, or certain feelings, like feeling drug out. Thanks!

Posted by: selenes512 ()
Date: December 01, 2007 07:50PM

Maybe try to cut out the fats for a couple weeks and see for yourself?

Posted by: Sparkler ()
Date: December 02, 2007 02:55AM

You should consider reading the book...I think it would answer your question.

For me, I went several months w/o any overt fats and was doing fine. Then I had some avo and noticed some interesting things:

1) After not eating fat for awhile, a small amount of fat made me feel queasy.
2) It made me feel heavy internally, it seemed to take awhile to digest.
3) I had low energy for awhile and just didn't feel as peppy as normal.
4) Eating fat led me to want to eat more fat and that led me to want cooked food.

Sarah
[goingbananasblog.com]

Posted by: uti ()
Date: December 02, 2007 04:24AM

Rawnaturel,

Here's a little bit of the math as it relates to the 80/10/10 diet from Appendix D on page 338 of Dr. Doug Graham's book.

For a person eating 2,000 calories a day the 80/10/10/breakdown is this:
carbs 1,600 cals
protein 200 cals
fat 200 cals

California Hass avocados have about 167 calories per 100 grams. 2 fruits, medium size, have about 300 grams of edible fruit which equals 501 total calories.
They calorically breakdown to 19% carbs, 4% protein, 77% fat.
So 77% of 501 calories equals 386 calories from fat for 2 avocados.

That means that a person on a 2,000 calorie a day diet who eats 2 avocados is getting 19.25% of their fat calories from those 2 avos plus the overt and covert fats from all the other foods. Even sweet fruits and greens have some fat. So that person is already more than 10% over the targeted ideal.

What I feel after indulging in high fat is slowed digestion, food combining problems and low energy.

What Graham says is that fats take longer to digest, so if you add a bunch of carbs on top of fat you're looking for digestive problems like bloating and gas. High levels of fat in the blood slow the oxygen carrying capacity of the red blood cells and impair the cell's ability to use the sugars in the blood, resulting in low energy or impaired athletic performance.

Are you ruining your health by eating 2 avos a day? IMO, probably not if you're reasonably healthy and active, but you have yet to experience what eating 10% feels like.

By the way, the 80/10/10 percentage ratio of Carbs/Proteins/Fats was derived by Graham from the recommended average percentages from numerous major scientific studies on human nutritional needs.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables