Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Thyroid and raw
Posted by: cocoa_nibs ()
Date: November 28, 2007 03:24AM

Hi all,

I have endocrine issues and am interested to find information on thyroid issues and raw. many books on thyroid diets (as well as my Drs) advocate a high protein and low glucose diet, I have also found some accounts on raw being beneficial for the thyroid.

I am currently on thyroid medication (Cytomel, which is synthetic T3 as well as Armour, which is natural desiccated thyroid).

I aslo recall reading somewhere on this forum someone referring to a 'thyroid thread', but I couldnt find it. Can someone point me to the right spot?

I really appreciate this forum. i am new to this way of eating and am trying to learn as much as I can.

Thank you!
cocoa_nibs

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Thyroid and raw
Date: November 28, 2007 05:37PM

[www.rawfoodsupport.com]

not sure if this is what you're looking for?

Posted by: LikeItOrNot ()
Date: November 29, 2007 08:04AM

I'm having issues as well. Check this website out if you haven't already:
[www.stopthethyroidmadness.com]

Try a Google search for green smoothies and thyroid..etc. I came across another raw forum the other day and someone was claiming to have completley gone off their medication just by following Victorio's(sp?) Greens For Life book and doing green smoothies everyday.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 11/29/2007 08:13AM by LikeItOrNot.

Posted by: cocoa_nibs ()
Date: December 02, 2007 05:46AM

Hi, thanks for all your responses. yes, stopthethyroidmadness is a great site. it lead me to Armour and Cytomel. The thread link was very helpful also.

Most troublesome to me right now is what I am constantly reading about goiterogene vegetables - everything from cabbage, kale, cauliflower, broccoli, spinach, and even citrus fruit should be limited or eliminated. All these are my favorites, i eat most of them almost daily! What to do?

Posted by: sewraw ()
Date: December 02, 2007 11:01AM

I don't claim to be any kind of expert but something I learned recently is that many thyroid problems are caused by and/or exacerbated by
1) fluoride toxicity (in our toothpaste, dental products and water - the only way to rectify this is to special water filters in your house and remove all fluoride products)
OR
2) food allergies (almost all of us have them and don't know it because symptoms present as such things as fatigue and thyroid problems and not 'allergic' symptoms you expect)
OR
3) clogged/toxic liver and/or lymph system - this is where detox comes in

I don't know if you can afford it or if there is one in your area, but a good osteopathic/homeopathic practitioner can probably head you in the right direction to assist you to get off meds if that is what you wish.

I am providing the link to the clinic I started going to help with all the food allergies that (quite literally) exploded when I went raw. The primary doc there has a speciality in thyroid issues. There might be literature on the site you can obtain. From what I understand, if you go there with a thyroid issue, the first thing you are treated for is food allergies since the allergies often beget the thyroid issues.

Good luck.

[www.osteomed2.com]

Patty

Posted by: Prism ()
Date: December 02, 2007 06:36PM

I have thyroid issues also, but if I feel like eating a particular food, and it happens to be on someones list as a no no, I go with my own intuitive feelings and eat it. I love broccoli with carrots and cauliflower but don't have them daily, just on occasion when they are really appealing to me.

Thyroid needs Iodine to function, so trying to incorporate those kinds of foods into your diet would be first, such as seaweeds, seaveggies, powered kelp, etc. Then I think if you incorporate things that are found in the ocean into your baths and soak is also beneficial, such as sea salt, magnesium, iodine, seaweeds, etc..all good to soak in and good to immerse your thyroid in. I use any one or a combo of these, moist celtic sea salt, epsom salts and Lugol's Iodine (4-10 drops) and or seaweed such as wakame or nori. You feel like a mermaid!

Exercising your thyroid also they say is good for it, and I've been practicing that after a bath. You run the shower on cold and let it hit your thyroid gland for a minute or two. I do it after my hot baths. Massaging it also gets the blood flowing. They say that your whole blood volume is run thru our thyroid gland every 17 minutes.

Love,
Prism

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables