Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Water or Juice Fast
Posted by: rawnoggin ()
Date: December 04, 2007 10:19AM

I've been tempted to do a fast of some kind for some time now smiling smiley But, I've read that you shouldn't do a lot of exercise during a fast, that you should just chill out & relax etc.

I do about 3-4 miles of fast walking per day at the moment to get to work and back (excluding any trips to the shops etc). Is it likely that I would feel faint if I was doing this during a fast (especially a water fast).

thanks smiling smiley

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Water or Juice Fast
Posted by: uti ()
Date: December 04, 2007 05:17PM

As I see it, the purpose of a fast is to give the body a rest, especially the digestive system. This allows the body to focus more energy on cleansing and healing. During an extended water fast the digestive system is fully unemployed, so it gets maximum benefit from the fast. For me this happens around day 3 to 4 and after that there's less discomfort.

Some people feel very energized during a fast and channel this into physical activity. Personally, I am drawn to taking a break and resting more after my experiences. I did a 4 week fast a year ago and several shorter fasts since. On the long fast I was driving until day 10 when I got the message that it wasn't safe to do that anymore. I found towards the end that I wanted no outside stimulation of any sort: reading, watching movies, computer, being outdoors, etc., much less physical movement. I did take sunbaths daily, did some dry brush massages and showers which were highly recommended by my experienced guides and the only book I read on fasting, Fasting Can Save Your Life by Dr. Herbert Shelton.

My interest in fasting was not only the physical healing of the fast, but the spiritual experience of it as well. A long fast will really show you how much of the time you spend in your mind and how much in your heart center. It showed me it is possible to get outside of time and just be in the moment...even when I had a field of ripe watermelons a few feet outside my window waiting for me to break my fast grinning smiley !

One of the biggest lessons I learned from the long fast was the importance of realimentation and recovery time. Roughly the same amount of time as the fast. I really noticed my physical strength as it took it's time to return to full power, particularly in the larger muscles as I resumed my work which is somewhat physical.

Good Luck with your fast. Please share your experiences with the forum.

Posted by: kwan ()
Date: December 04, 2007 05:36PM

Here's my personal experience: I can't do much activity at all during a water fast-- and that's the way it should be, lots of rest. But on a juice fast or a MasterCleanse I find myself able to be moderately active, including long walks.

If you have an active lifestyle and can't afford a period of complete rest, a juice fast may be ideal, and it would allow you to continue your walks. You may feel a little weak for the first 2-3 days, but after that you're likely to feel quite good and have plenty of energy.

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: December 04, 2007 05:40PM

Yes. My personal experience is that VERY light activity is fine...if you are restless....preferable outdoor light walking and sightseeing in nature...you know?

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Date: December 04, 2007 08:39PM

I've been doing juice fast once a week and I can still exercise (long walks, dumbbells, exercise machines).

I haven't the will power to do more than one day on a juice fast, I love food! As for water fast, I've been reading up about it more so now, but I can not get myself started, just yet. The book I just started is old but excellent info "The Miracle of Fasting" by Patricia Bragg

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: December 04, 2007 09:00PM

i would think its a waste of my time to just sit around if i am on a juice fast

usually i choose a juice fast because i am a very active person and i don't want to lounge about the house doing nothing

it affords you a lot MORE energy to do the stuff u want by shunting the energy that would have been previously devoted to catabolic/anabolic processes that go hand in hand with the digestive activity ( break down the food products/synthesize other stuff out of them)

and into doing stuff that YOU want to do ( like hiking outdoors, yoga or whatever)

but if you WANT to just rest for long periods of time and your systems has undergone a lot of other previous fasts enough to handle detox

then u may wish to go with water

though i'm a juice faster mainly and not water

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables