Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

persimmons
Posted by: Mona ()
Date: December 07, 2007 04:35PM

I just bought my first persimmon. I've never eaten one, so I'm wondering: how do I know if it's really ripe? What should I have looked for to find one that's sweet? Are they sweet? What texture should they be? What about the color? Anything special I should have looked for? Do they ripen more when they sit out on the sink?

Any info you have on persimmons will be welcomed.

Thanks,

Mona

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: persimmons
Posted by: Azura Skye ()
Date: December 07, 2007 04:45PM

I've recently discovered persimmons - doesn't take long to find out when they are ripe!
The skin on a Hachiya persimmon should turn from a light colour to a dark one - showing that the insides have turned from a firm dark yellow, to a soft clear orange jelly. When you press down they should feel like they are about to burst.

You can cut them in half and see the difference. If there's a lot of opaque light coloured flesh they are not ripe. You can put the halves in the fridge, wait maybe a day, and then they should be clear. and ripe!

Posted by: lemoned ()
Date: December 07, 2007 04:52PM

I love the other kind, the fuyu persimmons. They are firm to the touch and I actually don't really know when they are ripe. When do you know that an apple is ripe? It's like asking the same question which is hard to answer.
I don't eat the peel because the ones I get usually have some spots etc. on them that freak me out. I cut off the top thingie, peel and eat. Yum!
They do have some..smell to them but after a while, it didn't bother me anymore.

A girl at work brings them in for us recently from her own tree and it's too funny how someone asked to have them away from him cause "they stink". Now I see him eating them!!

Posted by: ericajones80 ()
Date: December 07, 2007 05:37PM

Yeah i got used to the smell. Persimmons are delicious tho.

For My Health The Fruit Company Fruit Baskets

Posted by: MauiGreg ()
Date: December 07, 2007 06:30PM

...interesting about the smell. I've never noticed a strong Persimmon aroma before.

Posted by: rawfrancois ()
Date: December 07, 2007 09:29PM

Fuyus are good when they seem overripe. Mine always have spots but I eat them anyways. The skin is usually the best part of a fruit, and is especially true for fuyus.

I never knew Hachiyas had to turn a dark color! I've only had them twice and I knew to let them ripen past their astringent hardness stage, but I didn't know you could ripen them further. Thank you for that.

Posted by: uma ()
Date: December 08, 2007 05:03AM

check out the recent "persimmon feasting" thread for more persimmon discussion.
love,
uma

Posted by: Mona ()
Date: December 08, 2007 11:58AM

Thanks, everyone. I appreciate all the help. My persimmon is orange and a bit firm.

I'll also check out the "persimmon feasting" thread.

Serenity,

Mona

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables