Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Hey Celery
Posted by: lorddimples ()
Date: December 08, 2007 03:15AM

Is it possible that too much celery is bad for you due to the sodium? I love juicing celery.
thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Hey Celery
Posted by: uti ()
Date: December 08, 2007 06:14AM

You'd have to eat an awful lot of celery to reach 100% RDA of sodium.

My online reference says 2 medium stalks weighing 110 grams have 125mg of sodium which is about 8% of the government RDA (1,500g) for most adult age groups. That means you would have to eat 1,320 grams of celery or approximately 24 medium stalks or 2 medium bunches to meet the RDA for sodium, assuming you weren't getting any sodium from other sources.

Enjoy your celery juice!

Posted by: ILoveJen ()
Date: December 09, 2007 03:03AM

Uti:

when you say stalks, you mean just one piece, right?

when you say bunches, you mean like a bunch that you would buy at a market, right?

that doesn't seem like very much celery at all...

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: December 09, 2007 04:26AM

two whole bunches of celery in a day is a LOT!

i wonder if getting that much sodium from celery is = to that much sodium in the form of salt though. it certainly comes with enough of it's own water to balance it out.

Posted by: shaine ()
Date: December 09, 2007 04:40AM

when celery is on sale I can eat two large bunches in a day. I don't eat it with anything, and it digests pretty quickly. It stimulates my appetite, and I never feel bloated or water-logged from the sodium. In fact, celery is great for cleaning me out...

Something makes me think the sodium RDA could be based on NaCl which is different from the sodium found naturally in plants.

measure twice, cut once.

"In Watermelon Sugar the deeds were done and done again as my life is done in watermelon sugar." ~r.brautigan

I make paintings

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables