Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Can raw food cause temporary RECTAL ITCHING?
Posted by: musicbebe ()
Date: December 10, 2007 02:11PM

Hi all!

I am new to raw food and loving it! I have been eating raw for about a week plus. A few days ago, I started experiencing a very itchy case of rectal itching! I did not have this problem before starting raw foods. Has anyone else had this problem AFTER starting raw foods? I know many people have this problem BEFORE starting raw food and then experience relief. So why am I having it now? My diet currently consists of green smoothies, fruits and veggies, not too much fat. I am 100 percent raw most days; on the days I am not I am still about 90 percent Raw and eating cooked vegetarian foods on the other days. I was thinking maybe I picked up a case of parasites from not washing my veggies and fruits. I was told that some people think you get B12 from tiny insects on fruits and veggies and so not to wash and scrub them clean. Two days after I started itching my husband complained of rectal itching too (we had not had "relations" since I starting being itchy). I've been feeding him the green smoothies (with unwashed organic veggies) lately. He still eats mostly cooked foods with dairy and some meat.

So if it is because of unwashed fruits and veggies, will it go away on it's own as I keep eating this healthy diet? Are we "expelling" parasites now? If we are "expelling" them, shouldn't they be dead? I've also been taking a probiotic for the last 2 weeks, should that help?

I know itchy anus is a sign of low HCL, but then, I didn't have this itchy problem before the green smoothies, so why would I be experiencing it now?

I would love to hear your ideas, thoughts and insights!!!!

PS: I had a thought to rub coconut oil "down there," externally and a little bit internally (because of it's anti-microbial properties etc...), would that HELP or be BAD in any way?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Can raw food cause temporary RECTAL ITCHING?
Posted by: alliecatt ()
Date: December 10, 2007 03:19PM

My first thought is a cleansing reaction... but I may be wrong.

Allie =^..^=

[www.stronger.me.uk]

Posted by: corizza ()
Date: December 10, 2007 07:50PM

That happened to me when I first went raw. But it went away on its own, it was terrible for about a week. I didn't know what to do so I just waited it out.

I made beet juice and I was thinking it was from that because beets are from the ground, and it might of still had dirt on it which lead to getting worms or something. But they went away soon enough, if thats what it was.

Posted by: Dulset ()
Date: December 10, 2007 08:03PM

That has happened when I go overboard with the dates and Larabars.

Posted by: selenes512 ()
Date: December 10, 2007 08:24PM

Hmm, maybe this is too graphic but here goes. All the raw foods and especially green smoothies can make your stool a lot softer than it is off raw. That can make it hard to, you know, get totally clean. If this might be the problem I suggest all natural baby wipes with aloe every time you go #2 intead of TP. This is the only thing I can think of unless you have parasites, but I feel like that is unlikely because I would think it would take longer for symptoms of parasites to present.

Posted by: angie1 ()
Date: December 10, 2007 08:39PM

I had this problem too, when I was 100% raw. I had NO idea what caused it. I'm only about 50%-75% raw now, depending on the day. But one thing I did notice is... have you ever heard of the Cleanse and Purify Thyself cleanse? It involves taking bentonite (sp) clay mixed with psyllium husks in water, alternating with herbal pills (nutritive stuff) every hour and 30 minutes, and 0-2 raw meals a day. And on that cleanse I noticed the itchy butthole thing went away. So maybe the cleanse causes you to be more alkaline than just a raw diet? I dunno. I always thought the itchy bum was an acidity thing. But I could be wrong. Maybe try some pH test strips and see if there is a correlation.

Angie

Posted by: sunshine79 ()
Date: December 10, 2007 09:39PM

I just saw the Curb Your Enthusiasm episode last night where Larry has a "tickle" in his anus. lol

Update
Posted by: musicbebe ()
Date: December 11, 2007 02:01PM

Okay, now I'm noticing other symptoms. Maybe this is really detox. I have teeny, teeny, tiny dark red bumps (they almost look like someone poked me with a tooth pick) all over my torso. You have to look up close to see them and then you notice they are all around. And that same rash is on the back of my head, in my hair and itches like CRAZY. My itching "down there" seems to have gone away (coconut oil?) but now the rash on my head is baaaad. Sounds like detox?

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: December 11, 2007 03:04PM

well, your skin is your biggest detox organ so that makes sense to me.

i posted before about my sister's horrible, terrible, really awful episode with an atrocious parasite and it really grossed people out so i won't post it again. just leave it at this: wash your produce. if you want to eat dirt buy primal defense. don't eat it from the ground. really. i can't stress this enough having had a family member suffer for nearly two years now and still recovering.

Posted by: Seabucktho ()
Date: December 12, 2007 05:20AM

Sounds like candida to me. Lots of people don't realise you can have a yeast overgrowth without the typical vaginal yeast or mouth candidiasis etc. When I went on a raw food fast I got a horrible case of candidiasis from my immune system being overwhelmed by cleansing (then I got horrible tonsillitis when I killed the yeast too fast, but that's another story...)

You could also be lacking the intestinal flora to properly digest all the raw. If it's not against your food values, I'd suggest a course of probiotics (6-10 a day for 6-10 days).

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables