Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

insomnia
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: December 16, 2007 07:07AM

you know, we've been talking recently about what we do with our excess energy and, while i love having lots of it, right now it's keeping me from sleeping.
here it is, 2 am and i am doing laundry and writing xmas cards. i'm going to go up to bed now and read a really booorrrrring book to make myself fall asleep but i'll be up with the kids early.
this is becoming a chronic habit. i am not tired until very late and then i all of a sudden am over tired and have trouble falling asleep because of that.
sometimes i think that i am hungry and i have snacked late a few times, mostly salad and fruit. i haven't done that in a bit though because i think late night eating isn't terrific for me. i drink some water instead and that settles the hungry feeling. the late night water doesn't keep me awake, i am nursing the wee babe so my thirst is high and i keep water beside the bed anyhow.

is there something i can do or take to make me sleepy? is melatonin alright while i am nursing? usually i wouldn't even entertain the idea of taking hormones like that but i think mine are out of whack and could stand a little readjusting. if i get back into an early night sleepy mode i could probably keep it going.

even though i am functioning fine during the day, i am experiencing some body fatigue and irritability that isn't right. i am concerned about the long-term affects of insufficient sleep as well.

help?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: insomnia
Posted by: Prism ()
Date: December 16, 2007 07:20AM

Why not try some magnesium oxide say 1000 mgs. with 1000 mgs. of vit-c. It helps me to relax and fall asleep..it very gentle and I would say non-addictingsmiling smiley

Since you are breastfeeding you may be experiencing some imbalance in minerals. I would try some iron tablets, because if they help you in a day or 2 then you know you need additional iron then you can go to green juices instead if you prefer.

Love,
Prism

Posted by: sprouter ()
Date: December 16, 2007 08:18AM

I sometimes have insomnia problems too (like right now @ midnight)smiling smiley I find chamomile tea works amazingly well at putting me into a sleepy zone. you can find it raw @ health food stores in bulk herb sections, and let it soak in warm water for a while. tastes yummy too!

Posted by: rawdanceruk ()
Date: December 16, 2007 09:05AM

I have this problem sometimes.. bit hyper

Try not to eat too later, take a bath.. turn off television.. try not read etc

Hope something helps soon for you!

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: December 16, 2007 01:24PM

Some thoughts:

-Eating heavier (avocado...coconut...root vegetables) CAN slow detox....and ground energy....and make a person more sleepy...if that's what you want. In MY mind...there is no tragedy in NOT sleeping. Ha! ha! There are some days (like before an interview or big event) that I do not sleep. I don't stress over it. I'll usually just leave work early the next day...and come home and get into bed. If I'm tired I WILL eventually sleep! LOL. Stressing over it doesn't help.

-My normal activities tend to re-inforce pretty good sleeping habits. I work pretty hard...at least mentally...during the day. I like to exercise in the morning and when I get home. So I'm usually pretty tired when I get home.

-Find a dream and purpose that you can pour ALL of your energy and love into. Then fear and desire will serve YOU....instead of the other way around! Ha! ha! What do you think?

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: December 16, 2007 03:13PM

good suggestions, thanks.

prism, i take iron every day-ish, i am chronically low regardless of diet. i think it's related to my blood type (O-neg) and digestive trouble. i'm working on that but not seeing a tremendous amount of change.
i was taking a whole food calcium/mag/d at night but haven't been in a while. i'll pick some up, thanks for the reminder. i need "extra" while i'm nursing.

sprouter, unfortunately i loathe chamomile but i can stand it in a blend. i do have a sleepytime tea for the little man that i can steep for myself (i have no issue with properly made tea). i won't enjoy it (yuck) but perhaps it will help.

rawdancer, i could get a little more on the ball making sure the evening meal happens earlier. i have a full day so sometimes by the time i think of it it's already a bit later on. not terrific patterning for the kids either but mommying is busy.

david, i think i might need to incorporate some more exhausting physical workouts. perhaps i need to burn off some more body energy. my passion is crafting, which you know i do daily, but it isn't all that active!
i don't think eating More avo is going to slow me down, i eat it pretty regularly now. imagine if i didn't? wow, i'd never sleep!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables