Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pineapple burn
Posted by: cyclopsale ()
Date: October 18, 2008 02:18AM

I just got done eating a juicy and very tasty pineapple, but when I had finished, I noticed the most painful burning sensation on my tongue. It felt like the acid in the pineapple was reacting with my tongue. Even after an hour I am still feeling my tongue burning. Does anyone have thoughts or information on this? I really love to eat pineapple, so I don't want to give them up, but if it is something serious, then I may need to. If anyone can help on this subject, I would be greatly appreciative. Thank you.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Pineapple burn
Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: October 18, 2008 02:29AM

Be sure the pineapple is ripe before eating.

Posted by: pakd4fun ()
Date: October 18, 2008 03:56AM

The pineapple was really ripe.

I know there have been some threads on this topic in the last year but a search comes up empty. What's the deal?

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: October 18, 2008 05:18AM

Fruits grow under a variety of conditions. Some that even appear 'ripe' and taste 'sweet' may still be largely un-ripe....and have quite an acid kick. One must be especially careful with pineapple and a few other fruits......as the enzymes in this fruit can break down proteins.....including your lips and tongue! LOL. Be careful my friend!

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Date: October 18, 2008 06:02AM

I wait for the sides of the pineapple to soften before eating it.

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: October 18, 2008 06:32AM

could it be the bromelain? cuz its a digestive enzyme

Posted by: iLIVE ()
Date: October 18, 2008 10:22AM

You cann't buy a pineapple that isn't ripe and then try to ripen it - it won't work. Pineapples are one of those fruits that change color and stuff after they sit out for a while, but don't actually ripen. So you have to choose the ripest one you can find in the store if the digestive enzymes effect you. Also, get the ones without mold on the bottom. It could be the ones in the store have also not been picked when ripe, though. It sucks..that happens to me too. So i just eat it in small quantities or over a period of 3 days mixed with different things if there ever is organic pineapple.

Posted by: frances ()
Date: October 18, 2008 01:39PM

This is almost always a problem with pineapples that are picked unripe. They will never ripen properly. Pineapples that are picked for shipping long distances are generally picked unripe because the ripe pineapples will not travel well. I do what iLIVE does. I buy the ripest pineapples I can, then I eat them more slowly to avoid hurting my mouth.

Posted by: FruityJules ()
Date: October 18, 2008 03:05PM

There is another possibility that no one has brought up.

It is the alliesthenic taste change. Actually, this happens with all fruit, but it does seem to be more noticeable with pineapple. When your body has had enough, the fruit will become bland or bad tasting, signalling that your body does not want anymore. It is very cool, really.

I agree that it is a good idea to eat slowly, and with full awareness. You will notice this taste change immediately and avoid the really unpleasant symptoms.

Hope this helps. . .

: )

Love,
Julie

Date: October 18, 2008 03:50PM

I look for pineapples that are mold free when I get them and then I store them on a cookie riser so that air can get under them to discourage mold. Then I let them ripen watching the color and the firmness of the sides. When they are ready they are different in taste then the un-ripe ones in that they are very sweet and delicious. I don't have any problem eating an entire pineapple as a mono meal.

edit ... entire = just the pineapple "meat" - no top, bark, or core

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/18/2008 03:56PM by EZ rider.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: October 18, 2008 07:10PM

Just curious... Was it an organic pineapple? Could be a pesticide issue if not...
-Jim

Posted by: sunshazza ()
Date: October 18, 2008 10:27PM

I have experienced the same burning sensation in my mouth whenever I eat pineapple. The same goes for everyone else I know who eats it. it seems to happen only with pineapple and no other fruit, organic or not.

Perhaps its the high amount of enzymes some people can't tolerate or the fact that they are not cultivated the way that they used to be. Modern agriculature methods can have a huge part to play it this.

Posted by: debbietook ()
Date: October 19, 2008 04:38AM

Hi

I experienced this a while ago. People then told me the pineapple must have been unripe, but it had tasted fine. BUT....I now think they were right.

All of the pineapples my supermarket sell are marketed as 'perfectly ripe'. And they look ripe. BUT some of them fail the leaf test. That is, if a pineapple really is ripe, the centre leaves should pull out easily.

Since the burning, I've never bought a pineapple without gently pulling the leaves, and...have never had the burning since.

It's the leaves right at the centre that should pull out (very easily) - not the outer ones.

Happier pineapple eating!

Posted by: roxeli ()
Date: October 19, 2008 07:24AM

If only I had a dollar for every time I burned the corners of my lips with pineapple.

The last time I got pineapple burns, I started thinking that pineapple would make an excellent face peel. I've yet to try it though but it seems like it would work. Who wants to be the first to try it?

Posted by: roxeli ()
Date: October 19, 2008 07:42AM

Interesting. Pineapple IS used for face peels.

"Papaya and pineapple are two of the most popular fruits used in natural peels since they are both a rich source of AHAs. Both fruits contain a protein-dissolving enzyme that sloughs off dead cells and stimulates collagen production. In papaya, this enzyme is papain, and in pineapple, it is bromelain. Sometimes, other sources of AHAs are used alone or in conjunction with papaya and pineapple, including lemon, grape-fruit, and grapes."

Complete article:
[herbalmusings.com]

Posted by: meganbubbs ()
Date: October 19, 2008 08:44AM

debbietook Wrote:
some of them fail the leaf test. That is, if
> a pineapple really is ripe, the centre leaves
> should pull out easily.
>
> Since the burning, I've never bought a pineapple
> without gently pulling the leaves, and...have
> never had the burning since.
>
> It's the leaves right at the centre that should
> pull out (very easily) - not the outer ones.
>
> Happier pineapple eating!

I also do the "leaf test" and have not had the burning sensation. I do remember it though and I never thought it was a big deal; it is just how it is with pineapple, like part of it's taste. I remember those other pineapple threads too, people who live in Hawaii are very wise about pineapple and I think some of them may have posted there.

Posted by: iLIVE ()
Date: October 19, 2008 11:19AM

i'm telling you, it isn't it being non-organic and it's probably not anything else- pineapple literally has a digestive enzyme in it that will break down the flesh in your mouth. Unless you live around pineapples and can pick them when ripe, this probably won't go away. You can always try though! But be careful with spending money, is all I would say hahah; i don't know how big of a pineapple fan you are smiling smiley

it wouldn't be alliesthenic taste, because my mouth burns if i haven't had pineapple in months even. So..yeah..

even in some cultures they teach to cook a certain way with pineapple and meat, because the pineapple will start to dissolve the meat.

kiwi does it too

Posted by: cyclopsale ()
Date: October 19, 2008 03:25PM

Thanks for y'alls information. I think it will be very useful. I love pineapples so much and I think that the information given on this thread will help me have a more fulfilling time eating them. I will just have to test these theories...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables