Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

my candida is back
Posted by: corizza ()
Date: December 13, 2007 09:11PM

I've been 95-100% raw for 3 and 1/2 months and haven't had candida for almost seven months, and it is back! I have been following the food combining principles and trying to stick to 80/10/10, but I haven't always been as strict with that. I'm reading about candida and they say I should cut out fruit, but thats the basis of what i eat!

I am going to try and completely cut out fat from my diet and see if that helps because that is what the 80/10/10 book says. Have any others on the 80/10/10 developed candida, and has it gone away?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: my candida is back
Posted by: Prism ()
Date: December 13, 2007 09:16PM

Even if only eat fruits and veggies, you are going to get some fat which your body needs. Getting it from plants is in proportion to what your body needs and I wouldn't cut out anything there, but if you are eating overt fats, or using a lot as body oils, you might cut back there. I don't think people get Candida from being on the 8/1/1 diet. If you haven't been strict, where are you being lax at?

Love,
Prism

Date: December 13, 2007 09:18PM

Well I was eating more fat than I should have from nuts and oils on my salad. Some days I would do 30% some 20 some 10 but I was never consistent. I'm going to just make sure I am only 10% every day and see if that helps.

Posted by: ambaryarena ()
Date: December 13, 2007 09:59PM

I too am trying to rid myself of candida. But I'm finding it hard in a Minnesota winter to go all day without eating some seeds or nuts. I don't think I'm getting enough calories...but I'm so busy!
Alas only four days of school until winter break. Hopefully I can sort some of this out then.

Posted by: drhall ()
Date: December 14, 2007 05:12PM

REMEDY FOR CANDIDA AND DYSBIOSIS

Day 1: Preparation

Do not eat foods containing yeast, sugars, starches, fruit, or alcoholic or caffeine containing beverages during the first 24 hours or during the next 15 days of the bowel flora balancing protocol. Now you know why the fruits are suspect. Basically, you just need to completely rebuild your intestinal flora. Start from scratch or this could haunt you for YEARS TO COME! Some even start with a colonic, I am not convinced that flushing the colon is beneficial, YES, i have research colleagues who SWEAR by them.

Days 2 and 3: Antimicrobial Cleanout

Garlic has powerful antimicrobial effects but it must be delivered to the intestines with those properties intact. Therefore, be sure to use enteric coated garlic tablets, or JUST GO RAW! Yeah, I know the garlic maker claims, but, if it works - it works!! Goldenseal may be substituted for garlic or a combination of garlic and goldenseal may be used.

Enteric Garlic (Mediherb): 2 cloves a day (min.) RID GARLIC ODOR WITH CLOVES!!!
Goldenseal: add 2 tablets per day to enhance garlic or

Goldenseal: 4 tablets per day

Days 4-15: Restore Intestinal Environment and Bacterial Balance

1. Try Okra Pepsin or Fiber which contains contains fructooligosaccharides (FOS) mid morning or mid afternoon on an empty stomach. Okra Pepsin is the prebiotic that will feed the good bacteriae (probiotic).

2. Green Tea – 2, 6oz cups per day
Green tea contains tannins which bind the toxins of the pathogenic bacteriae. Go for a good Green Tea that you are sure is pure!

3. Use a good probiotic source of your choosing (i am not trying to sell you on any one thing or process here, please investigate everything i tell you as merely Research and Not as Medical Advice, Lactic Acid Yeast provides lactic acid to the intestinal environment to remove phytic acids which prevent absorption. You Can Do This!!!!

i am bearcreekresearch (google me) / don hall

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: December 14, 2007 05:55PM

Try cutting the fat out and have your own experience. For many, they find relief in a very short amount of time, like a few days to a few weeks. To have an accurate understanding of your fat consumption, it is worthwhile to use a nutritional calculator like fitday, nutritiondata, nutridiary, or Cron-o-Meter to monitor your fat intake.

The people who try the other approach, cutting out all sweet foods and relying on fats for calorie, will also see symptoms disappear. However, many of them, if they try to eat a piece of sweet fruit, will see symptoms reappear. So they really haven't been healed, as a healthy person ought to be able to eat fruit without reactions.

Its the fat in the bloodstream that deters the functioning of insulin in your blood such that the insulin cannot move the sugars into the body where there are needed for fuel. So the blood sugar gets too high, and problems start to occur. The body uses the candida fungus to consume the sugars.

Date: December 14, 2007 07:22PM

Now we should talk about the Candida Fighting Foods - You Can Eat!

Fresh Vegetables – buy local and organic whenever possible.

Best choices (lowest in carbohydrates) - Asparagus, arugula, bok choy, beet greens, broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower, celery, chard, cucumber endive, fennel bulb, lettuce, nappa cabbage, mustard greens, peppers (green & sweet), radish, romanesco, salad greens, spinach, tomato, watercress.

Next best choices (medium carbohydrates) - avocado, artichoke, brussel sprouts, celeriac, chives, collards, dandelion greens, green beans, eggplant, kale, kohlrabi, leeks, okra, onion, parsley, peppers, rutabagas, sno pea pods, spaghetti squash, turnip, yellow and/or green summer squash, yellow wax beans, zucchini.

Pretty much all leafy greens are great!

Fresh Herbs – basil, cilantro, chervil, dill, mint, oregano, parsley, tarragon, etc.

Homemade sprouts - clover sprouts, radish sprouts, broccoli sprouts, sunflower sprouts, lentil sprouts, mung bean sprouts.

Legumes, when sprouted, have low carb counts and are bursting with raw live energy. Sprout them until they grow a shoot at least half an inch long. For sunflower sprouts, grow them up to 1 or 2 inches, cut them off at the base of the seed and eat the green tops. Make sprouts in small batches and eat them while fresh. Don’t store them in the fridge for long periods of time or they will collect mold.

Raw Lacto-fermented Vegetables including Sauerkraut and Kim Chi. Easy to make at home, or check your health food store’s refrigerated section. These are an integral part of our daily diet because they help reintroduce healthy gut flora, these fermented wonder foods are another item at the top of the list of tasty candida cures.

Fresh Coconut - antifungal, full of good fats and not too high in sugars. Fresh coconut is one of my favorite snacks, and its one of the best candida cures!

Fresh Garlic - a very potent ingredient in a variety of candida cures, both for the kitchen table as well as for making topical treatments for external symptoms. Also can be used to make an enema solution or as a suppository.

Fresh Ginger - another potent ingredient used in a variety of recipes, excellent for digestive troubles.

Fresh Lemons and Limes - low in carbohydrates, and they add great flavor to salads, soups, marinades and beverages.
Free Range Organic Eggs - Load up on those eggs! They're an excellent source of protein and fat in a perfect combination. Inexpensive and so versatile, free range eggs are one of my favorite ingredients, they are another important factor in our stockpile of natural candida cures.

Raw Butter, Organic Butter, Ghee and Clarified Butter

Free Range Chicken, Turkey, Duck, Pheasant, etc.

Grass-Fed Pastured Beef, Bison, Buffalo, Venison, Lamb, Pork, etc.

Fresh Fish and Seafood - check current safety and environmental stats by clicking here.

All Natural Deli Meats - from a reputable source, no preservatives, sugars or artificial ingredients.

To find local sources of free range eggs, raw and organic butter, pastured meats, free range chicken and poultry click here.

Virgin Coconut Oil and Palm Oil, Cold Pressed Olive Oil, Cold Pressed Sesame Oil, Cold Pressed Flax Oil, High Quality Lard, Tallow or Bird Fats. Coconut oil is one of the most potent natural candida cures.

Raw Unfiltered Apple Cider Vinegar, Umeboshi Vinegar, Umeboshi Plums or Paste. Umeboshi vinegar is not technically a vinegar, its a salty brine made during the pickling of unripe plums. It has a great salty/sour flavor. The plums and paste are also marvelously tart and salty, and a good digestive aid. Raw apple cider vinegar is another favorite powerhouse in our collection of natural food candida cures.

Bubbie’s Pickles (refrigerated), or any brand of pickles with no vinegar or preservatives.

Good Grey Sea Salt – the coarse salt is more rich in minerals and trace elements, but the finely ground is easier to work with. Use a mortar and pestle to grind the coarse salt finer and get the best of both worlds. The unbeatable flavor combined with a wealth of minerals ranks unrefined grey sea salt in our top-list contenders of natural candida cures.

Dried Herbs and Spices – buy organic to be assured they haven’t been irradiated. Cloves are a natural anti-fungal, another top player in our list of natural food candida cures, and pungent spices, like those found in curry blends, are also important candida-busters.

Dried Lentils, Green Mung Beans, Clover, Fenugreek, Radish, or Sunflower Seeds - for making sprouts.

Dried Vegetables - with no preservatives or additives, good for flavoring soups and stews.

Dried Seaweeds - dulse, nori, hijiki, wakame and arame are my favorites. Use them in small amounts, they are potent in sodium and iodine, and they do have some carbs.

Stevia Dried Ground Leaves, Liquid Stevia Extract - Another one of the best choices when filling that grocery basket with delicious candida cures. Stevia is a naturally sweet herb which contains no sugar and no carbohydrates. Its an amazing gift from nature!

Pure Extract Flavorings – vanilla, almond, lemon etc. Some of these are steeped in alcohol, but the amount will be negligible when you use them in a recipe.

Thai Chile Paste – a quick flavor-booster for soups, stifries and marinades. Thai Kitchen brand contains a trivial amount of soy oil, Santa Maria brand has no oil added, and you might find a great one in a can at an Asian imports store. Chile paste is another good source of those pungent herbs and spices that ward off candida.

Fish packed in water - sardines, mackerel, skipjack tuna and wild salmon are good choices. Anchovies packed in olive oil are great to have around too. I found a variety of mackerel packed in tomato sauce where the ingredients say "mackerel, tomato puree, salt". These I found in Belgium, but maybe they sell them in the States and other countries too! They are delicious and so easy as part of a quick lunch.

Tomatoes and Tomato Paste – fresh tomatoes are the best, but these are good to have in the pantry. Look for a brand with the smallest ingredients list, hopefully one that just says “tomatoes”. Avoid ones with citric acid if possible (citric acid is often derived from corn, which can be loaded with mycotoxins).

Pasta Sauce in a Jar - there are a bunch of organic varieties out there these days. Look for ones made with extra virgin olive oil or no oil added so you can drizzle your own in after you've cooked it! Keep a few stashed in the pantry, you can make a quick dinner by simmering a jar of sauce with some fish or chicken breasts or ground meat added.

Organic Chicken Broth – Homemade is best. Still, its handy to have some in the pantry for a quick fix. See the recipe for making your own nutritious bone broths in the Soups Section.

Coconut Milk, Coconut Cream – unsweetened, in a jar, can or box, organic if you can find it.

Creamed Coconut, Dried Shredded Coconut – unsweetened, and organic if you can get it.

Canned or Jarred Sauerkraut - with no vinegar or chemical preservatives.

Oil Cured Olives

Sun Dried Tomatoes (dry or packed in olive oil)

Olives, Capers, Marinated Artichokes or Peppers - use a few now and then to add flavor to sauces or salads. Spend the extra buck and get some really high quality varieties. Look for ones packed in glass jars (not cans) and read those labels: no sugars, preservatives, chemicals or artificial ingredients please! In better grocery stores or specialty import stores. Remember not to overdo it with these, even the higher quality ones are usually packed in less than ideal vinegar brines.

Beverages

Pure Spring Water or Good Filtered Water
Mineral Water, Club Soda, Sodium Free Seltzer Water
Bubbly Water with Flavor Essences - no sugars added, sodium free, read those labels!
Herbal Teas, Yerba Mate Tea or Green Tea brewed very light
Swiss Water Process Decaf Coffee –with coconut milk and stevia if you take cream or sugar
Decaf Tea

Here are some of the healthy beverages you can enjoy.
Check out the Beverages recipe section for instructions on how to make these treats!

Lemonade and Limeade sweetened with stevia
Iced Herbal Tea sweetened with stevia
Cucumber Cooler
Stevia Cooler
Coconut Cooler
Apple Cider Vinegar Drink
Warm Egg Nog Drink
Decaffucino, made with coconut milk
Chilled Egg Nog
Chilled Lime Cooler Egg Drink
Iced Decaffucino, made with coconut milk
Water Kefir

Who knew there were so many natural candida cures in the kitchen?

This is going to be a delicious

Posted by: Prism ()
Date: December 14, 2007 08:43PM

I'd follow what Bryan has to say about cutting out the fat and I think you already know it thru your own intuition..follow that, gut instinct is something I don't like to ignore in myself.

And who the heck is Dr.Hall? Go awaysmiling smiley

Love,
Prism

Posted by: Lorretta ()
Date: December 15, 2007 05:13PM

Hi Corizza

I lived through over 10 years of anticandida dieting, avoiding fruit and sugar, plus antifungal treatments.
I also tried gourmet and low fat low sugar approaches to raw.
I then found this site.

Bryan explained the same thing to me as he just has to you in the post above.
It made perfect sense to me. he set me on the road to recovery.
That was over three years ago.
I did a short juice fast, followed by three days on water, back to juice then apples, pineapples and eventually bananas.
It wasnt my intention to fast, my body just guided me into it somehow.

I thrive on fresh fruit and veggies without any problems. I keep my fat intake low.
If i eat fat, i tend to eat it at the end of the day, keeping it away from my sweet fruit meals.
I feel wonderful and have lots of energy.

It was misinformation provided by the likes of 'drhall' that helped keep me sick for so long!
For your sake, dont fall into the same trap!

Happy healing
Blessings
Lorretta

Date: December 16, 2007 10:29PM

Loretta, Prism - many different causes (nicotine, alcohol,stress,antibiotics(big culprit, especially in large doses by dental and acne situations) NSAIDS,asthma medications, the Pill(usually to correct menstrual problems),coffee,early sex, IUD, sugar, etc.often exist to cause an imbalance, such as Candidiasis, however, as many people and situations exist, so too for food combinations, exercise, and hydration ( a whole 'nother topic).

Bryan was precisely correct, yet, for only one, of a myriad possible attempts to correct a widespread problem, of identifying anything that causes inflammation of the gut wall and proceeds to interfere with prostaglandins (which protect the mucous lining from our own digestive acids and enzymes).

sIgA immunoglobins are critical to help fight pathogens that come in contact with vulnerable body surfaces via ingestion or inhalation. Body fluids rich in sIgA include colostrum, mother’s milk, saliva. One of the unique qualities of sIgA include its rich cysteine content, a physiological significant sulfur containing amino acid. This might help explain why n-acetyl-cysteine (NAC), which works so well to break up thick nasal, sinus and respiratory mucus, also helps accelerate innate healing processes.

The gut lining cannot become too alkaline.

Low levels of IgA contribute to susceptibility to infection, asthma, autoimmune conditions, Celiac disease, chronic infections, intestinal disease, candidiasis, food intolerances, allergies, autism and ADD/ADHD. The concept of more is better does not apply to immune function – this is illustrated by the observation that very high levels of sIgA also can be found in people who have chronic infections and immune system hypersensitivity.

My observations and food list were widely addressed, even to those even outside of raw foods. This communication seemed to bring out the animals in the vegetable kingdom. Calm down, that is key to solving many issues, including, candidiasis.

So, what may at first imply direct conflict, may not. Who or What may appear as solution, may not work in every case.

I may be wrong. I have been wrong. I will continue to make mistakes. I still, however, continue to try to understand how to build the optimum nutrition function, as we can all agree, the immune function depends on that.

Date: December 17, 2007 03:01PM

Drhall wrote
My observations and food list were widely addressed, even to those even outside of raw foods. This communication seemed to bring out the animals in the vegetable kingdom. Calm down, that is key to solving many issues, including, candidiasis.

Dear Drhall.
As you addressed both Prism and myself, I can only imagine that you were refering to us when you suggest 'calming down' Ha!HA!Ha !HA!
You had me tucked up in laughter!

Ever thrived on a totally raw vegan diet Drhall?
Stick around...
You might just learn something!!!!!!!smiling smiley
Blessings
Lorretta

Posted by: rosemary ()
Date: December 17, 2007 04:49PM

i aslo found that all the fruit increased my candida...hence my increased apathy i susupect. i add ground pau d'arco to my smoothies now, which is powerful, and have probiotics at night...
my suggestions anyway

Date: December 17, 2007 06:45PM

I'm having a really hard time sticking to 80/10/10 because by the end of the day I just want to eat something heavy. And I know it has to do with emotional eating and also because I probably don't eat enough during the day. I just have to figure this out, its driving me crazy!

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: December 17, 2007 07:43PM

I used to have candida and I healed it. I first tried 80-10-10 but it did not work for me.

I then tried both the Tree of Life Rejuvenation program and the Hippocrates Health Institute program. They both are similar. My candida went away after 1 week and it is an easy program to follow.

Date: December 17, 2007 08:47PM

What did they have you eating?

Date: December 17, 2007 11:35PM

Why do people call a disease MY disease, it seems they do not want to get rid of it, my candida, I love it, it should be that condida I hate is back, the candida not my candida

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/17/2007 11:37PM by djachi.

Date: December 18, 2007 12:01AM

djachi Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Why do people call a disease MY disease, it seems
> they do not want to get rid of it, my candida, I
> love it, it should be that condida I hate is back,
> the candida not my candida

True...
Claim it and its yours!

Posted by: cocoa_nibs ()
Date: December 18, 2007 12:26AM

interesting observation djachi. Language is the surface structure of deeper meanings and reveals a lot about the subconscious.

Similarly, it is counterproductive to say - when a foot is hurting - my bad foot.

We can use language to infuence our subconscious, just as much as language gives us pointers of what we think in deeper layers.

Fascinating stuff.

Date: December 18, 2007 02:12AM

Bryan, what's the difference between Tree of Life and 80/10/10? They both seem to focus on much fruit and greens, and low fat (and raw). WOuld you mind pointing out the main difference between them?

Date: December 18, 2007 03:01AM

The Tree of Life diet is a high fat diet. If you eat the recipes in the Rainbow Green Cuisine recipe book, or you eat at the Tree of Life cafe, you will be eating in excess of 70% fat by calories in your foods.

The Hippocrates diet is a 80% by volume raw, 20% by volume cooked. However, if you translate that into calories, it could be more like 20% raw by calories, 80% cooked by calories.

Both the Tree of Life and Hippocrates diets require a lot of supplementation/superfoods to feel good. This is because these diet don't include sweet fruits. You are encouraged to only eat non-sweet fruits like cucumber and tomatoes, maybe some berries if you don't have candida. Plus, there's juicing, dehydrating, and making fermented foods.

These two raw diets are fine transitional diets. But you won't find people who have been doing all raw versions of this kind of diet for 10 years or more.

80/10/10 is a diet that is focused of fresh whole ripe raw organic fruits and vegetables. Nuts and seeds are included, but since fat is limited to 10% of the caloric intake, this isn't much nuts and seeds. When one is on this diet, there is no need for supplementation, because you get all the nutrients from whole raw foods. As far as equipment you need to buy to eat this diet, you only need a knife, and you if couldn't afford one, you could probably get by without one. 80/10/10 is a high leafy greens diet. 1-2 pounds of greens on average per day are recommended.

Posted by: Lightform ()
Date: December 18, 2007 03:12AM

Bryan.. how do you eat your greens ?
I find that eating salads without dressing is quite unappealing. I've tried a bit of lemon but that doesn't realy do it for me either. Is it a case of developing your taste to liking them straight ?

Date: December 18, 2007 03:16AM

Thanks so much Bryan. This was very helpful!

I was confused, because there are two of you Bryans!

So Bryan (who just answered), it soudns like you are saying you WOULD recommend 811 as a Candida cure etc, as it is low fat/high fruit vegge. So far I really liked the book and was glad to stumble upon it in the beginning, as I was getting ready to buy the cookbooks for raw pizzas etc. I think it saved me from making some bigger mistakes there.

Dehydrated fruits/veggies question: in 811 Graham speaks out against dehydrating. As I bought my Excalibur, however, I found a whole chapter on raw and living foods and Graham being listed right there amongst those who endorse the dehydrating procedure (provided it follows a certain protocol of heating up to 135F first for 2 hours and then bringing it down to no more than 112 for the remainder of the time. I hope i remember those numbers right.). Any view on dehydrated foods? I have noticeed they trigger cravings and overeating. they taste so very concentrated.

Date: December 18, 2007 03:51AM

Lightform,

I will eat them plain, or I will make a raw dressing or pate. A simple raw dressing is made from a fat (like seeds, avo, nuts), an acid fruit (tangerines, lemon, lime, oranges), and a filler (celery, cukes), and perhaps some flavoring like cilanto or sundried tomatoes. But I will make them low fat, perhaps a few tablespoons of seeds per head of lettuce. Using celery makes the dressing thicker without fat.

One of my pates might be 2 carrots, 2 ribs celery, 1/2 red bell pepper, 1/4 cup sundried tomatoes, cilantro, some lime juice, 1/4 cup hemp seeds, in a food processor for a few minutes.

But plain is good also. When I eat romaine, I take a romaine leaf, roll it into a cigar, and eat it. Try eating a whole head of romaine like this. What I notice is that after I'm done, my skin on my face feels a little oily, like I've eaten some fat. And believe it or not, there is some fat in romaine lettuce.

Date: December 18, 2007 04:00AM

cocoa_nibs,

Trust your experience of dehydrating. If it feels good, then enjoy. If it doesn't feel good, or at some point it no longer feels good, then don't bother. I will eat raw crackers if I get them on a dish at a raw restaurant or if my raw friends make me some. For me they make me thirsty, and also flax isn't feeling good for my body (this is a taste and feeling thing).

Date: December 18, 2007 04:05AM

cocoa_nibs,

Yes, 80/10/10 is an excellent diet for people who have candida.

Posted by: Lightform ()
Date: December 18, 2007 05:50AM

Thanks Bryan.. I'll give those a try.

Date: December 18, 2007 03:56PM

Calories intake do not have to necessarily come from sweet fruits. The cows are doing very well on a diet high in green grasses, they eat no fruit. Many of the assertions in 80/10/10 need some scientific validation. The evidence in nature does not support that.

Date: December 20, 2007 02:24AM

Hi corizza,

I recommend that you listen to your body. You will learn by experience.

To gain experience, eat 100% vegan doing the 80-10-10 program for 4 to 7 days.

Then do the Rainbow Green phase 1 or the Hippocrates program for 4 to 7 days.

Report back to use which program works better for you.

cocoa nibs,

You asked about dehydrating. The food dehydrator is the greatest invention ever!

This is because food is much more than just eating, it is emotional.

For example, when we are sad, we eat comfort foods because it reminds us of the foods our parents gave us to comfort us. When I was upset, my mom would give me a freshly baked cookie and a glass of milk, or a hot bowl of soup.

As a raw foodist, if I feel sad I am reminded of the food my mother made to help me feel better. Sometimes I really crave these foods and I NEED them NOW. smiling smiley

With the dehydrator, I can make Living Food that has the same smell, texture, taste, and appearance of cooked foods.

Viva La Excalibur, my favorite appliance in the whole world!

Right now I am eating a big bowl of raw vegan chili that I just pulled out of the Excalibur. It is the best chili I've ever made, and it wouldn't be possible without the dehydrator.

Date: December 22, 2007 02:11AM

chili in the excailbur... hmmm, can I get that recipe???

I know what you mean. my dried persimmons taste better than any cookie!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables